U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 06:28 PM

166 posts, read 107,678 times

Advertisements

My mom insists that I am great at being on the computer, I am able to type 60-70WPM, and can look up anything on the internet. Her and my dad are old fashioned from the 50's era, so modern technology is foreign to them at times. They insist that I find a job, revolving around computers, but what type of jobs are there, that I can find, only type of education I have is a high school diploma, and then computer know-how is typing, internet surfing, email, instant messengers, social media, microsoft word, little bit of photoshop and video editing but thats it. What type of job can I get with those types of skills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 08:45 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,829 posts, read 56,185,852 times
Those are part of the basic requirements for any office job now, from entry level administrative assistant to manager, everyone must have those basic computer skills. You will also need additional skills such as Excel, Sharepoint, Visio, and Powerpoint. The problem is competing with others that not only have the same skills but also experience in the business. For our entry level administrative positions experience in a database management system is required.

Old 05-14-2016, 02:36 PM

166 posts, read 107,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Those are part of the basic requirements for any office job now, from entry level administrative assistant to manager, everyone must have those basic computer skills. You will also need additional skills such as Excel, Sharepoint, Visio, and Powerpoint. The problem is competing with others that not only have the same skills but also experience in the business. For our entry level administrative positions experience in a database management system is required.
Where can I learn about those and master them like a pro then?

Old 05-14-2016, 03:47 PM

4,677 posts, read 8,877,365 times
Your skills do not classify you as a "computer wiz" but put you about on par with every other young person out there that had grown up in the technology era. You're describing basic skills that are required for about every entry level administrative job out there. Most employers are looking for something above and beyond basic technology skills these days.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:15 AM

11,814 posts, read 13,951,598 times
That fact that you phrased it like that: "thinks I am great at BEING ON THE COMPUTER" tells me you aren't ready for an IT Job just yet.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:27 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,730,215 times
Practice is good. It sounds like you aren't afraid of a computer or using software, which is sometimes a hurdle for people.

Not sure what those skills will give you outside of an entry level job. If you want to eventually work in IT in some way, you might start out in an IT call center. You already know how to use the basics, so that may give you a chance to learn more, and if you (or they) discover that you have a knack for this sort of thing, you can only go up.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:48 AM

756 posts, read 612,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Your skills do not classify you as a "computer wiz" but put you about on par with every other young person out there that had grown up in the technology era. You're describing basic skills that are required for about every entry level administrative job out there. Most employers are looking for something above and beyond basic technology skills these days.
I must admit, like the above poster, it doesn't sound like your skills are "honed in" on IT specifically. It sounds more like you're just a consumer of technology, like many of us. That's not a bad thing entirely though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Practice is good. It sounds like you aren't afraid of a computer or using software, which is sometimes a hurdle for people.

Not sure what those skills will give you outside of an entry level job. If you want to eventually work in IT in some way, you might start out in an IT call center. You already know how to use the basics, so that may give you a chance to learn more, and if you (or they) discover that you have a knack for this sort of thing, you can only go up.
I agree with this poster. I would try and sell your interest in "learning how to be a technology guru". I'm a data analyst but I've done a lot of support type work over the past. I'm now at my 5th IT job and I've been in IT for the past 7-8 years I think. My first job started back when I was in college and truth be told I knew very little about IT besides the basics. If I were you I'd research the different areas of IT and see what you're interested in (Data analysis, Development, Server architecture, Desktop support, etc). IT is vast these days. Your best bet for a starting position is to look for something in desktop support and sell your interest in learning. That's how I started. Best of luck to you!

Old 05-17-2016, 10:40 AM

3,007 posts, read 5,203,821 times
Is there a reason why you aren't still in school?

If you're interested in technology or computers I would suggest to hit up your local Community College, look at some computer classes in troubleshooting or networking and start taking classes.

Like others have mentioned, my little cousin is "good at computers" because he knows how to read a tutorial and jailbreak an iPhone. Which is actually kind of impressive, but still just breaks the surface of what you do as an actual tech.

At the very basic level (A+) you need to know all of the Operating Systems to an intermediate degree. You need to know a very basic DOS/Command Prompt commands. You need to know the hardware, what domains are, basic networking, what the common errors are and how to troubleshoot them.

-----------

You also stated that you can use photoshop and video edit. You can go to school for that as well, and in some cases, depending on your temperament, that can be more "fun."

Old 05-29-2016, 01:43 PM

965 posts, read 1,217,348 times
Sounds like you have a good start, OP. I agree with the above advice - try to find an entry level job and never, ever turn down training opportunities. Things change so fast in IT. You will probably learn what you wish to return to school for, or perhaps obtain certificates.

Best of Luck to you.

Old 05-29-2016, 02:02 PM

4,578 posts, read 8,189,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikumiku View Post
My mom insists that I am great at being on the computer, I am able to type 60-70WPM, and can look up anything on the internet. Her and my dad are old fashioned from the 50's era, so modern technology is foreign to them at times. They insist that I find a job, revolving around computers, but what type of jobs are there, that I can find, only type of education I have is a high school diploma, and then computer know-how is typing, internet surfing, email, instant messengers, social media, microsoft word, little bit of photoshop and video editing but thats it. What type of job can I get with those types of skills?
With all do respect. Everything is relative. My friends think I'm as good as Tiger Woods in golf. But realistically, I would barely make a high school golf team.

The proficiency you've indicated is simply "computer literate". You know how they work, and are comfortable with them. This isn't to say you have no shot. But it's no better/worse than any computer literate person in the workplace.

If you have a genuine interest in computers - I'd test the waters with either software development or operations like networking/security. Just understand that IT is one of the most fluid careers. What you know today can be useless in 3-5 years. In other words, you will never cease learning (and you can't, if you want to stay relevant).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers