U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2016, 05:18 AM

186 posts, read 121,107 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I got a macbook for work and it is still running nicely after 2 years.
Now I wonder: do I need to use some program to clean it?
(I use CCleaner; a virusscanner and adaware for example on my other laptops, but for macs this does not seem necessary).

How do people here "clean" their macs? Anything I could do?
Or just erase the internetbrowser is enough to remove some of the unneeded use of memory?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 09:42 AM

40,296 posts, read 41,850,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koeken View Post
Or just erase the internetbrowser is enough to remove some of the unneeded use of memory?
This is really not necessary unless you have a reason to delete them. I'm not familiar with Mac's but there should be setting for how much space the browser can use for temp files if for example you are running low on disk space. This just simply stores files like images, the file for the web page itself and other files required by the web page you have downloaded. The website can set a expiration date on them. If the file changes often they might set it to "no cache" for example and no file is stored.

The browser is going to check this cache first to see if you have cached version and it will load it from disk instead of downloading it. This cuts down on bandwidth which might be important if you have metered bandwidth and also saves the website some bandwidth, it can speed up pages especially if you have slow connection. This was really important feature back in the 56K modem days but still very useful. Once the allotted space is filled old files are purged automatically.

The cache can sometimes cause issues with some web pages where updated files are not downloading. Refresh doesn't necessarily cause cached files to be downloaded, you can force the browser to purge the cache for that page and download it and all the files associated with it by holding ctrl and then hit the f5 key.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:26 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,710,440 times
If it's working fine why do you want to mess with it?

Old 05-14-2016, 03:04 PM

186 posts, read 121,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
If it's working fine why do you want to mess with it?
That is just it: I have no idea!
With my other laptops I had to clean it once in a while or it would run slowly!
With the MacBooks: no issues at all! But I wonder whether I do not need to "clean" something haha

Old 05-14-2016, 05:24 PM

16,726 posts, read 29,336,363 times
You can always drag to the trash documents and other files you don't need, just stay away from the System Folders.

Then clean Safari as follows:
Under the Safari menu: "Clean History"
Under the History Menu: "Clear History." Choose "Clear all history" is you like, which in turn deletes cached files, cookies, and the rest.

Just keep in mind that it will also remove forum passwords and the like, so you must remember those, unless you have stored them in the Keychain.

Old 05-15-2016, 12:29 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,710,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koeken View Post
That is just it: I have no idea!
With my other laptops I had to clean it once in a while or it would run slowly!
With the MacBooks: no issues at all! But I wonder whether I do not need to "clean" something haha
You might wind up with some old files your Library folder that you don't need, but in general no, you don't need to "clean" anything.

Old 05-15-2016, 12:42 PM

14,393 posts, read 21,082,505 times
Default Windex works for everything

Here you go. More than you ever wanted to know.
How to speed up a slow Mac - How to - Macworld UK

Old 05-23-2016, 10:22 AM

3,183 posts, read 1,721,975 times
Unlike Windows the Mac OS system is set up to not need regular cleaning or optimization, the system software updates take care of that mostly. The only other software that I have ever heard recommended for Mac by any reliable sources is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, mostly to take care of Mac oriented malware.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:15 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,985,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Unlike Windows the Mac OS system is set up to not need regular cleaning or optimization, the system software updates take care of that mostly. The only other software that I have ever heard recommended for Mac by any reliable sources is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, mostly to take care of Mac oriented malware.
Modern versions of Windows are set up the same (not to need regular cleaning or optimization).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers