U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2016, 02:09 PM

50 posts, read 24,448 times

Advertisements

Hello from a new forum member. I have a Surface RT laptop. Here are two quick questions:

USB question: Does formatting a USB travel drive remove possible malware/viruses?

Surface RT battery question:

Which of these options can prolong my Suface RT's battery life?
A. Periodically charging it until full charge, running it until low charge, then charging until full again?
B. Or trying to use the wall plug as much as I can instead of just using the battery power?

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 07:27 AM

4,366 posts, read 9,517,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Way View Post
Hello from a new forum member. I have a Surface RT laptop. Here are two quick questions:

USB question: Does formatting a USB travel drive remove possible malware/viruses?

A. Periodically charging it until full charge, running it until low charge, then charging until full again?
B. Or trying to use the wall plug as much as I can instead of just using the battery power?

Thanks for the help!
From what I've read, batteries should be kept in the 25%-75% range, so you don't want to let it drain too low or keep it at full charge for too long.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:56 PM

11,832 posts, read 13,971,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Way View Post
Yes. 99% of the time.

Quote:

Do A at least a few times a month. But honestly, don't sweat this too much. Don't use it plugged in 24/7. A battery that never gets used will actually degrade faster then one that does get used.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:24 PM

10,754 posts, read 18,012,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yes. 99% of the time.

Do A at least a few times a month. But honestly, don't sweat this too much. Don't use it plugged in 24/7. A battery that never gets used will actually degrade faster then one that does get used.
Correct. My laptop battery gets fully cycled at least 3 times a week, I've never had one last less than 3 years, I've had many clients kill their batteries by never taking them off AC power. First thing that come out of their mouth "but it's always plugged in, how could it go bad after only a year"?

Old 05-24-2016, 12:24 PM

5,894 posts, read 4,421,062 times
I think there was some issues with memory effect in the past with some computer batteries. For example, if you never allowed the battery to discharge past 50%, then the battery would "remember" that at 50% drained, it would need charging, therefore, would assume it has half the charging capacity than what it really has. I don't think (or at least I'm not fully certain) that still applies today. I mean, a battery is eventually going to go bad no matter how you treat it, but using it correctly will allow you to get the most use out of it.

I tend to allow my Macbook battery drain as much as possible, as well as my iPad. However, my new phone has such a great battery that I don't necessarily have to charge it at night, but do anyway. I guess I've just always been used to putting the phone on the charger at night so I'm leaving out with a fully charged phone in the mornings.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:55 PM

50 posts, read 24,448 times
Thanks, ansky, for the 25%-75% range. It's easy to check. I didn't know about the guideline.

Peregrine, your advice was helpful because I was using my wall cord 100% of the time. And I was glad to learn that USB formatting erases most viruses. I'll format and keep the suspect USB.

NHDave, I would have been one of those who wondered why the wall cord didn't save my battery. I'll give the battery a chance to do its job.

skinsguy37, I didn't know computers can remember those kinds of things. If my battery does die, I can just keep using the wall socket.

Thanks for all the great feedback!

Old 05-26-2016, 02:08 AM

39 posts, read 28,834 times
While it is advisable to keep a battery above 25% keep in mind that a battery has a memory and should be drained completely once in a while or it will loose the capacity for a full charge.

Old 05-26-2016, 05:00 AM

10,754 posts, read 18,012,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrisSevvin View Post
While it is advisable to keep a battery above 25% keep in mind that a battery has a memory and should be drained completely once in a while or it will loose the capacity for a full charge.
Todays battery tech does not suffer from the memory effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers