U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2016, 06:18 AM

243 posts, read 156,932 times

Advertisements

I was watching video on YouTube when suddenly my Mac started bogging down badly. I quit Chrome and all other applications, ran Onyx, restarted my router, rebooted, and when it came back up there was a pop-up on the screen for ZipCloud!

I'd never heard of that before, and had no idea how that had gotten onto my machine! I got rid of the pop-up, and immediately googled how to get rid of it as it looked like I'd gotten malware by some sneaky means without knowing it.

I went to some Mac support forums about it, and they gave instructions that just do not work on my Mac at all, though they did say to drag ZipCloud to the trash from Applications, which I did. I could not find any of the ZipCloud files they named, but that might just mean they have been made invisible by the makers of this sneaky malware.

ZipCloud was indeed in my Applications folder, though I'd never heard of it before and certainly didn't install it. How did they get this crap onto my computer? Could it have been through YouTube? That's when my Mac started bogging down, while I was watching a tornado video there.

Can malware be put onto your computer from just watching videos on YouTube?

Update:

I found JustCloud, which ZipCloud is also sometimes named, and I cannot delete it. I dragged it to the trash, and emptied the trash, and it's still there in my Applications folder! This is nasty! I want that crap gone! They have made it so I can't get rid of it and I'm pretty angry!

Last edited by MsVaslovik; 05-22-2016 at 06:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 07:26 AM

10,752 posts, read 17,997,204 times
[Solved] How do I uninstall zipcloud from my macbook pro?

I would also suggest running Malwarebytes https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/mac/

Old 05-22-2016, 07:52 AM

243 posts, read 156,932 times
Uh, yeah, I already saw that link. ZipCloud is gone, but then I found JustCloud, which is ZipCloud's alias, sitting in my Applications folder. That was harder to get rid of, moving it to the trash and emptying the trash left the icon still sitting there in the folder. I downloaded Trash-It, and ran that. It appears to have gotten rid of it finally. I don't see either ZipCloud or JustCloud running in Activity Monitor nor can I find any files associated with either.

I think it was put on my computer while I was watching a YouTube video, even though I have a good ad blocker and never clicked on anything but the videos I wanted to watch. The video bogged down while I was watching it, so I quit that, quit Chrome, and unplugged the router then ran Onyx and restarted. I think that might have saved me worse trouble. So, I guess the sneaky people can put malware on your computer via YouTube videos. Not good.

Since this morning when this happened I've learned that ZipCloud is snuck onto peoples' computers in a variety of ways, such as fake Safari updates that install it. Well if it were anything good they wouldn't have to do that, and while it may not be malicious itself it keeps really bad company that is indeed malicious. Time to beef up my computer security. I just installed MalwareBytes and it did indeed find more ZipCloud and JustCloud files, along with other malware even though I could not find them in Finder or see them in Activity Monitor. I got rid of it all.

Last edited by MsVaslovik; 05-22-2016 at 08:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or