Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2016, 01:32 PM

764 posts, read 507,869 times

Advertisements

Not a full time job. Those websites for freelancers are full of cheap overseas programmers, no level playing field.

Some project managers / program managers prefer to hire American programmers. The question is, how to find such managers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 01:46 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
dice.com

ziprecruiter.com

post your resume.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:08 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
We tend to hire folks fulltime and don't contract out. The business domain is much harder to learn than the technical skillset required in many cases.

I agree with gguerra. Get your resume out there. Even when I was last looking for work years ago, I had a lot more meaningful hits due to an online copy of my resume than I ever did initiating contact.

Old 06-01-2016, 05:35 PM

Thanks for the inputs to both of you.

Quite a lot of recruiters and these job sites send me quite a lot of full time position openings. Most recently I've updated my resume indicating my interest in project-based work.

Regarding "The business domain is much harder to learn than the technical skillset required in many cases.", I absolutely agree, whatever technical problems we solve ultimately they need to add or create value for the business or the organization.

Old 06-01-2016, 05:52 PM

Why not play with stuff fulltime? The bennies can be worth it.

Then again, I'm more interested in deep application knowledge myself than in bouncing around, and I have friends who think I'm crazy to do what I do and they do exactly the opposite. I'm fascinated by the industry I'm in (airlines).

Old 06-01-2016, 06:00 PM

Ahe, I got a startup going for a while, gained some traction... getting quite close to taking off... but running out of cash (friends, family and some small investor). Accepting a full time position would totally deprive me from doing some work on my "baby", also, knowing that I won't be with them for long and then accepting an offer anyway would be cheating. I'd rather to face tough situation myself.

Talking about airlines, cool! Are you in a position to contract out little work?

Old 06-02-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw1984 View Post
Ahe, I got a startup going for a while, gained some traction... getting quite close to taking off... but running out of cash (friends, family and some small investor). Accepting a full time position would totally deprive me from doing some work on my "baby", also, knowing that I won't be with them for long and then accepting an offer anyway would be cheating. I'd rather to face tough situation myself.

Talking about airlines, cool! Are you in a position to contract out little work?
Sent you a private message.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:29 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
Quote:
Those websites for freelancers are full of cheap overseas programmers, no level playing field.
How cheap are they? What would be a level playing field? Do the people that hire the freelancers always have very specific requirements, such as, "we have 26,000 lines of code that need to be debugged by Friday" or is it more like "we want an app that will help us do blah blah blah" and they let you use the programming language(s) you know best because they just want the app and don't care about the language?

What are the best websites to find the most freelance work, without taking the money into account?

Old 06-02-2016, 06:18 PM

"what are the best websites to find the most freelance work, without taking the money into account?", are you looking to get something done?

Old 06-03-2016, 10:43 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
Quote:
"what are the best websites to find the most freelance work, without taking the money into account?", are you looking to get something done?
No. Only curious to see what's there. In other words, what kind of work all those cheap foreign programmers are actually doing, or actually being offered.

I'm also wondering how they decide which cheap foreign programmer to hire. Do they have credentials or something? Maybe they hire several, from several countries, to see which does the best job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers