U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2016, 07:04 AM

8,081 posts, read 11,888,067 times

Advertisements

I actually have very little stuff to transfer to a new computer. Most of it is pretty simple, save to a thumb drive.

But what about emails? Not sure how to do that.

My computer has been shutting itself off once in awhile so I'm assuming it might be dying. IDK. Its an HP Envy20.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 07:11 AM

39,769 posts, read 57,642,611 times
Email and other stuff will transfer by syncing. Make sure you allow that option.
What browser you use? What email account?
watch this video:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...omputer-easier
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:27 AM

4,348 posts, read 9,499,369 times
What type of email program are you using. If its web based email such as Gmail there is no need to synch anything.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:48 AM

6,502 posts, read 6,250,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I actually have very little stuff to transfer to a new computer. Most of it is pretty simple, save to a thumb drive.

But what about emails? Not sure how to do that.

My computer has been shutting itself off once in awhile so I'm assuming it might be dying. IDK. Its an HP Envy20.
Unless you're using a program like Outlook, or Thunderbird, that shouldn't be an issue. A standalone email client installed on a PC can download emails and save them to a folder on the hard drive. Older computer, running Vista, XP, 7, or Linux.

If you're using Gmail, Yahoo, or Outlook.com, no need to save those emails. You can always check your email on the new computer and those emails will get downloaded to the hard drive there as well.

Back in the day, people used standalone email clients on XP and Mac and preferred to check their email through those methods, POP and IMAP. One keeps all copies of email on the hard drive, and the other synchronizes the email on the hard drive with the email in the cloud. In other words, depending on how you're set up, if you deleted an email on your hard drive it was also deleted with the email service. IMAP is meant to be a superior alternative, but the advantage to POP, is that if you're checking your email on multiple computers one computer can have email the others don't; say you delete an email on one PC but forget to do it on the others. That email might download itself on the computer you deleted it with, and not the others. With IMAP, if you delete the email off of one computer, it is automatically deleted from the server and on any other computers you're accessing the account on. All email clients are kept in sync with each other. If you have Gmail you can go into the Gmail settings online and see how this works. Right now I'm set up on IMAP, which is the default on Gmail. But I still have the option to auto expunge. So when I read an email, it is marked as read, but it is not removed, unless I go into the trash and remove it.

It is very important, because without that safeguard you could hit delete, the client would save the message in the trash folder but the trash folder was small, and message would be lost forever within a relatively short amount of time. These days you can just download an app and check it that way, and the process is transparent to the end user. I noticed that your computer shipped with Windows 8, and 8 was built for the cloud, so there is a good chance that your email client was a modern app, and not a regular Windows desktop app. How did you access your email on that computer?

Last edited by goofy328; 05-30-2016 at 09:01 AM..

Old 06-04-2016, 08:34 AM

8,081 posts, read 11,888,067 times
I do use Mozilla Thunderbird. And some of the emails are pretty old.
I got automatically upgraded to Windows 10.
I typically use IE for my browser but sometimes Firefox.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:44 AM

6,502 posts, read 6,250,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I do use Mozilla Thunderbird. And some of the emails are pretty old.
I got automatically upgraded to Windows 10.
I typically use IE for my browser but sometimes Firefox.
Did you have to reinstall Thunderbird? And what type of email address are we referring to (Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail, etc)?

Old 06-04-2016, 08:51 AM

40,161 posts, read 41,766,549 times
Search for move Thunderbird profile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or