U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 12:26 PM

11,814 posts, read 13,951,598 times

Advertisements

Just yesterday I was testing a cloud file manager that someone asked me to test. Had a lot of issues with IE. Contacted Vendor: "Yea, IE doesn't work great with it, try Chrome".
Which I already had. It was better but also gave me an issue that made it difficult to work with. On a whim I fired up Edge and (honestly) to my surprise, it was flawless. I was pretty impressed.

It's good to have a few browsers installed and not be 100% loyal to any, imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 10:53 AM
Status: "Trump Resistance - The (establishment) Empire Strikes Back" (set 4 days ago)

17,241 posts, read 6,761,823 times
The problem fixed itself.I don't know if it was a Microsoft Edge or Yahoo email update.

Yahoo email also got rid of an annoying glitch were the present of an apostrophe in a mail search killed all search results. They fixed it about a week after I discovered it and trimmed the searches to avoid any apostrophes. I wonder if they noticed when suddenly about 80 of my searches went through, since their search command translates to, for example: Reply to thread 'Angry parents punish teen son by forcing him to sleep in backyard tent every night'. I trimmed the search, in that example, to read: "Angry parents punish teen son by forcing him to sleep in backyard tent every night" and it worked.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:57 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,041,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
My computer just switched itself over from Windows 7 to Windows 10. With it Internet Explorer was replaced with Microsoft Edge. The Yahoo e-mail basically freezes on starting. It still works in Mozilla and Chrome.

Does anyone know a fix?
Yep. Keep using Chrome

Old 11-06-2016, 10:59 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,041,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
Chrome doesn't work properly in windows 10. When I try to do a search it seems to search in Yahoo? Weird. I have ad blocker plus on chrome, worked great. Can't put it on Edge. It says my printer is disconnected now, what a mess.
Chrome works fine in Win 10.
You do have to download the 64-bit version.

You need to re-install driver for the printer.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:04 AM
Status: "Trump Resistance - The (establishment) Empire Strikes Back" (set 4 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Yep. Keep using Chrome
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Chrome works fine in Win 10.
You do have to download the 64-bit version.

You need to re-install driver for the printer.
Thanks. I don't like Chrome since it slows the computer down. I was using it in Mozilla until the problem fixed.

As I said the problem was fixed in Microsoft Edge.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:52 AM

9,054 posts, read 6,389,728 times
Quote:
Thanks. I don't like Chrome since it slows the computer down. I was using it in Mozilla until the problem fixed.

As I said the problem was fixed in Microsoft Edge.
Maybe that problem was, but Edge still has other issues that I discovered quickly upon moving to Windows 10. Firefox is the way to go.

Old 11-06-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Maybe that problem was, but Edge still has other issues that I discovered quickly upon moving to Windows 10. Firefox is the way to go.
Interesting. What other issues?

I personally think that Windows XP was the best that they've had. And Yahoo classic e-mail was better. I don't know which versions of their browsers were good or bad since I've been on Mozilla mostly for a long time.

Old 11-06-2016, 03:57 PM

9,054 posts, read 6,389,728 times
Quote:
Interesting. What other issues?

I personally think that Windows XP was the best that they've had. And Yahoo classic e-mail was better. I don't know which versions of their browsers were good or bad since I've been on Mozilla mostly for a long time.
Aside from it's newly-instituted activation requirement and WGA, I loved Windows XP. And I used it until just over 2 months ago when my hard drive bit the dust. I re-installed it (SP2 version on CD) on a second HD, but then found that even the updates available at the time of it's end of support date were no longer available at Windows Update. So I couldn't update it to SP3, was stuck with an unusable Outlook Express version, and limited compatibility with lots of other software. I had no practical alternative to buying a new computer. So I did.

As for Edge, I gave it a try and found graphics anomalies on some of the sites that I regularly used....weird aberrations on charts and graphs AND some of the well-documented glitches suffered by others when using this site. A while back, several threads appeared here describing these issues, for example....

No Reputation Confirmation

A Problem I've Had for a While

messages are posting with extra line spaces...

"+Rate this post positively" has changed its behaviour!

I never had any of these problems using Firefox with XP, but saw some of them right away using Edge on my new Windows 10 computer. I downloaded and resumed using Firefox and have had no problem since.

For e-mail, I wanted an actual e-mail client with POP, so I went with Thunderbird. I'd trade it in a heartbeat, though, for Outlook Express if I only could. Outlook Express was the very best. So, of course, it's gone.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Aside from it's newly-instituted activation requirement and WGA, I loved Windows XP. And I used it until just over 2 months ago when my hard drive bit the dust. I re-installed it (SP2 version on CD) on a second HD, but then found that even the updates available at the time of it's end of support date were no longer available at Windows Update. So I couldn't update it to SP3, was stuck with an unusable Outlook Express version, and limited compatibility with lots of other software. I had no practical alternative to buying a new computer. So I did.

As for Edge, I gave it a try and found graphics anomalies on some of the sites that I regularly used....weird aberrations on charts and graphs AND some of the well-documented glitches suffered by others when using this site. A while back, several threads appeared here describing these issues, for example....

I never had any of these problems using Firefox with XP, but saw some of them right away using Edge on my new Windows 10 computer. I downloaded and resumed using Firefox and have had no problem since.

For e-mail, I wanted an actual e-mail client with POP, so I went with Thunderbird. I'd trade it in a heartbeat, though, for Outlook Express if I only could. Outlook Express was the very best. So, of course, it's gone.
I personally the temptation, across the board, to gold-plate and complicate everything. XP and Outlook Express were simple; and they worked. Ditto Apple's latest move to iOS10. It's clunky and complicated. The music functions, at least, are far less user friendly than those on both older versions of iOS and iTunes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or