U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-31-2016, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Iceland
876 posts, read 701,430 times
Reputation: 1018

Advertisements

So people are talking about how the internet is making physical media die. I disagree, and believe that in the future it will actually return.

Why? Because file sizes.

Have you noticed how MASSIVE the latest games and super high-res videos are. I have a 1440 monitor and I still don't watch youtube videos at that res, instead using 720p instead. Why? Because that's about as high a res as my internet can handle before my experience starts to suffer.

See, while computer and monitor/tv technology has evolved, most people's internet connections haven't. Most people I know still just use plain old broadband and many people's connections my own included, aren't even that fast. This means that downloading large file sizes takes a long ass time, and streaming super high-video is pretty much a pipe-dream for me. And that's not even mentioning the fact that lots of people have only a limited monthly data package which this super high-res media chews through like it's candy. As mainstream adoption of high-res tv's and monitors grows this problem will only grow worse.

And thus, I predict that in the future the problem will get so bad that downloading everything just won't be practical anymore, resulting in the re-rise of physical media.

Agree or disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-31-2016, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
2,056 posts, read 2,023,732 times
Reputation: 3534
I want to agree with you. But I feel like a lot of that physical media has gone the way of the dodo bird. That said, you are right, that US data speeds lag behind many many other countries. Further, currently, downloading and streaming is cheaper to the average household than, say, a cable contract or satellite contract, for TV and films. As time goes by, though, I see those costs creeping up too. When those costs all get closer, we will regret that physical media no longer exists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2016, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
11,319 posts, read 22,730,215 times
Reputation: 3895
I will continue to purchase physical media for video and musical content as long as it available.

Why? Proof of "ownership" or licensing, for one. Also, commercially-produced media is often better than what you can burn yourself in terms of longevity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2016, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,894 posts, read 4,413,618 times
Reputation: 3934
I think there is more against the idea of the need for physical media than for it. Music artists don't have to spend as much on replication if they release their music, exclusively, to iTunes. They can even release one song at a time if they want. On the consumer end, music streaming is becoming the top dog in the fight, and people love the idea of a subscription service where they can listen to just about anything they want, whatever their mood is, without having to own the music. That's why Spotify and Pandora are so popular. The biggest question is sound quality, and that has improved with digital media over the years.

Movies are starting to head in that direction as well. Although, the need for perfect quality is still very important when it comes to video, so blurays are probably still extremely popular, especially since we have this appetite to have the very best video quality that we can possible have. I mean, we're heading toward ultra high def, which would take up a lot of bandwidth to stream. So, I'd say on the movies said, there is most definitely still a need for physical medium. For music, not as much. Although, I do still like having that physical ownership of the album. That's why I tend to buy a lot of my CDs second hand for pennies on the dollar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2016, 01:55 PM
 
Location: 10110001010110100
6,385 posts, read 10,839,849 times
Reputation: 5589
I do prefer physical media, especially for movies but for music, at least, streaming seems to be the dominant method.

Streaming or some non-physical formats will eventually prevail since I believe corporations want to turn us all into bunch of floating obese, lazy consumers like the people in Wall-e:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2016, 02:52 PM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
11,319 posts, read 22,730,215 times
Reputation: 3895
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I do prefer physical media, especially for movies but for music, at least, streaming seems to be the dominant method.
I rip both onto a local media server, anyway. So I stream all the time from my own local sources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2016, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Iceland
876 posts, read 701,430 times
Reputation: 1018
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I think there is more against the idea of the need for physical media than for it. Music artists don't have to spend as much on replication if they release their music, exclusively, to iTunes. They can even release one song at a time if they want. On the consumer end, music streaming is becoming the top dog in the fight, and people love the idea of a subscription service where they can listen to just about anything they want, whatever their mood is, without having to own the music. That's why Spotify and Pandora are so popular. The biggest question is sound quality, and that has improved with digital media over the years.

Movies are starting to head in that direction as well. Although, the need for perfect quality is still very important when it comes to video, so blurays are probably still extremely popular, especially since we have this appetite to have the very best video quality that we can possible have. I mean, we're heading toward ultra high def, which would take up a lot of bandwidth to stream. So, I'd say on the movies said, there is most definitely still a need for physical medium. For music, not as much. Although, I do still like having that physical ownership of the album. That's why I tend to buy a lot of my CDs second hand for pennies on the dollar.
For music yea I guess streaming will dominate, but that won't work for movies or video games once file sizes start getting to big.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2016, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Birmingham
11,787 posts, read 13,659,535 times
Reputation: 10029
Nah, I think gigabit and Supergigabit and Hypergigbit extreme 2.0ULTRA is just around the corner for everybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2016, 01:02 AM
 
7,249 posts, read 5,703,039 times
Reputation: 7963
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
For music yea I guess streaming will dominate, but that won't work for movies or video games once file sizes start getting to big.
Streaming already dominates video. Netflix already has 4K content available.

Video games typically just download all their content and store it. Even if you buy a physical copy there's a good chance there's nothing on the disc but a downloader to fetch the content from a server somewhere.

This is a fight that has already been fought and physical media lost it, badly. Things will only get worse for physical media as bandwidth increases and real broadband finally reaches rural areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2016, 07:39 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,894 posts, read 4,413,618 times
Reputation: 3934
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
For music yea I guess streaming will dominate, but that won't work for movies or video games once file sizes start getting to big.
Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Vudu, etc....been working just fine with those services. You're forgetting that engineers have been working on new forms of compression to prepare for ultra high definition streaming. By the time 4K becomes the norm, we won't think anything about it, much like how HD streaming is an after thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:55 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top