Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 09:02 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,471,831 times

Advertisements

I've got 3 browsers on my Windows 10 laptop right now: Edge, Google Chrome and Opera. I tend to use Chrome the most, since it gives me easy access to Gmail and YouTube. But lately I've noticed that Chrome tends to use a lot of my system resources when it's running. Right now, for example, I only have two tabs open on Chrome (my Gmail account and City-Data), and Task Manager shows it using 34.5 MB of memory under Apps, and then it is listed eight times under Background Processes and using another 175 MB of memory there! Are all of the current browsers such memory hogs? Is there a better choice for Windows 10?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 09:24 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,227,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
I've got 3 browsers on my Windows 10 laptop right now: Edge, Google Chrome and Opera. I tend to use Chrome the most, since it gives me easy access to Gmail and YouTube. But lately I've noticed that Chrome tends to use a lot of my system resources when it's running. Right now, for example, I only have two tabs open on Chrome (my Gmail account and City-Data), and Task Manager shows it using 34.5 MB of memory under Apps, and then it is listed eight times under Background Processes and using another 175 MB of memory there! Are all of the current browsers such memory hogs? Is there a better choice for Windows 10?
It takes a lot of memory to go thru all your data and report your usage.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:52 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Mostly through all the extensions and plugins. Several open tabs can add to the misery.
Chrome splits every tab, plugin, and extension into its own process, which is a good thing - if one thing crashes, it doesn’t bring down the whole web page, or all your tabs at once. That's very convenient, but it causes duplicating tasks for some tabs.
However, I would not get too stressed because the RAM is full. That means its doing its job.
If it's taking up so much RAM that things are noticeably slowing down, then you do indeed have a problem.

Try to free some following this instruction:
- In the top-right corner of the browser window, click the Chrome menu .
- Select More tools > Task Manager> Click "Memory" to sort Chrome processes in order of memory usage.
- Select the task you want to close.
- Click the End Process button. Note: any unsaved work in your task will be lost.

Check your extensions and uncheck those not used frequently.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:47 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
First off, great post Elnina.
2nd, manyroads, this isn't 1998. Your browser is using 200 MB? 200...
That's nothing, my friend. You've got at least 4 GIGAbytes of RAM, yes?
Chrome isn't the #1 browser because it's slow and bloated. On the contrary.

However, if you want to try something else, Firefox certainly doesn't make it hard to get to YT or Gmail.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:10 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Chrome uses a lot of memory, no doubt. Google has acknowledged that. V8 chooses speed over memory usage every time.

It also uses a lot of CPU. Compare it to Safari which is much more efficient.

That being said, it's still my favorite browser. The tools are excellent, and it's extremely secure.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:52 PM

3,974 posts, read 5,167,066 times
Another thing to try is this.

Click on the Chrome menu icon, then click on Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click 'Show Advanced Settings'. Scroll to the 'System' section and uncheck 'Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed'.

While your on the Settings page, click on 'About' on the left side of the page. Click the Check for Updates button and let it check. It'll update if it needs to.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:06 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,471,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
First off, great post Elnina.
2nd, manyroads, this isn't 1998. Your browser is using 200 MB? 200...
That's nothing, my friend. You've got at least 4 GIGAbytes of RAM, yes?

Chrome isn't the #1 browser because it's slow and bloated. On the contrary.

However, if you want to try something else, Firefox certainly doesn't make it hard to get to YT or Gmail.
Yes, that's true. It just looks like it's using a lot of resources when you see it listed so many times in the task manager when you only have TWO tabs open (and not looking at videos in either of them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
Another thing to try is this.

Click on the Chrome menu icon, then click on Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click 'Show Advanced Settings'. Scroll to the 'System' section and uncheck 'Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed'.

While your on the Settings page, click on 'About' on the left side of the page. Click the Check for Updates button and let it check. It'll update if it needs to.
The box about running background apps was already unchecked when I looked. When I went to the About section, it checked for updates automatically and said that it was up to date.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:08 AM

8,321 posts, read 13,450,418 times
I think everyone has given you all the applicable info and as mentioned Chrome is a bit like the Cookie Monster in regards to using system memory.

As stated, installed browser add-ons aka extensions will drastically effect the overall performance of any web browser, Chrome is no exception!

Another factor is the site/page you are viewing and whatever is going on on that page can effect memory usage as well. In other words, if there is a site using buggy or processor extensive codes, scripts, etc. it could make things seemingly slower for the entire browser even though it is just one page/tab is the culprit.

I have seem 2-3x Chrome related system services, startup processes and even scheduled tasks. They all seemed to be related to updating Chrome. Do they need to run each time or even at all, especially since the updates come every few months or so and typically all it does is, prompt user about the update so it gets downloaded and installed? No, not really. These startup related entries do effect the performance from get go and continue to run way more frequently then they really need to but still, they are unlikely to be consuming anywhere near as much memory as the actual browser itself.

All that blah blah, my final suggestion would be is doing something quite simple, deleting Chrome cache to see if it calms things down for you.
2 ways to go about doing it:

- Using keyboard: CTRL-SHIFT+DEL when Chrome is open (single tab only)
- Using CCleaner, delete browser cache using default options or if needed, download and add the additional options provided by CCEnhancer. I marked my recommendations with orange lines, you really do not need to mess with more (see screenshot).
Attached Thumbnails
Why does Chrome use so much memory?-ccleaner-ccenhancer.png  

Old 06-02-2016, 04:39 PM

17,585 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
If you can stand the multitude of Flash/plugin-container crashes.. At least, I always seem to wind up having them. Even so.. I continue to use it.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:50 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
I use FF on 2 different computers and it is every bit as sturdy as Chrome, IE or Edge. All of which I also use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers