Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 01:23 PM
HDL HDL started this thread

3,216 posts, read 6,785,664 times

Advertisements

Okay, I've had this problem before, but it's back and it's driving me BANANAS !! My mouse and computer continuously FREEZE up and since my computer is OLD and I'm on dial-up, I'm already limited as to what programs I can add to get this resolved .

Please no advice now on upgrading my computer or going DSL ! I will hopefully be doing both later this year, but for now I am just looking for a Registry Cleaner that REALLY works and doesn't just SCAN, but will fix the errors for FREE ! If that is asking too much , then the BEST priced Registry program that is not too much of a memory HOG would be my 2nd choice .

TIA

~HDL~

p.s.
Where is LIZ when you need her (LOL)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 02:01 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,753,677 times
How long has it been since you wiped and reinstalled? And why do you think it's your registry that is the culprit? There are a lot of things that can cause what you mention, we need more details about what your system is and what you're running on it currently.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:02 PM

514 posts, read 1,669,161 times
What are your system specs?

Old 02-15-2008, 02:43 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinist View Post
What are your system specs?
System specs are..

Is this a computer someone built for you or a branded one, like a compaq or Dell? If it's branded, just posting the model number is fine.

What windows operating system do you have?

If it's branded, we should be able to find out the rest like memory.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:56 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,624,662 times
Try CCLeaner to clean up your registry.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:37 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,503,079 times
Get CCleaner
Ad-Aware 2007
Spybot Search and Destroy

And, if thats not fixing it, get hijackthis.

TrendSecure | TrendMicro™ HijackThis™ Overview
And then copy the log from hijackthis,
paste it here and I'll go over it.

And use this for a quick runthrough of what can and can't be cleaned:

HiJackThis! Log auto analyzer V2

Oh, and switch to DSL.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:53 PM
HDL HDL started this thread

3,216 posts, read 6,785,664 times
Thumbs up Thank you to all who have taken the time to respond so far!

I left for an hour after finding CCleaner recommended on PCWorld and setting it to DOWNLOAD. Everything I try to do takes 20 times longer than normal !

I have a Compaq Presario w/MS Windows XP Home Edition upgrade and the Service Pack 2. Version 2002. 901 MHz. 256 MB of RAM plus I recall adding an additional 256 , though my computer doesn't show that under "View System Info".

I wish I could tell you more, but it's taking me 20 minutes just to get you this info!!! I will now try to get CCleaner to check my system, but I don't want it to delete anything important, so I am trying to be thorough before starting it up !

Thanks again and 3 rep pts from me for your assistance! Look for them as Quick Rep though ! No comments for today .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
System specs are..

Is this a computer someone built for you or a branded one, like a compaq or Dell? If it's branded, just posting the model number is fine.

What windows operating system do you have?

If it's branded, we should be able to find out the rest like memory.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:12 PM

514 posts, read 1,669,161 times
Take Radeks advice, and if it is a spyware problem also download spywareblaster. Its a nice little utility to help keep spyware off your computer. Also be careful with registry cleaners, do not delete anything that you're not sure of. Also start off simple, have you run a scan with your a/v software and defragmented your hard drive?

Old 02-15-2008, 05:56 PM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,045,575 times
IE could be a security problem for machines too, since it has more holes than Swiss cheese.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:08 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,503,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Lombards View Post
IE could be a security problem for machines too, since it has more holes than Swiss cheese.
Your browsing software is less of an issue than ensuring you have up to date anti-virus and a firewall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers