U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 04:48 PM

2,643 posts, read 3,466,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
The 19 square has the largest pixel pitch of mainstream monitors making it the easiest to read without changing settings.

Don't skimp out on the monitor stand, that alone will probably be $50 of the price of the monitor.
Can you expand on this? What is the optimal stand I should be looking for, or are you suggesting I need to buy something separately?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I disagree, whether browsing or doing scripting, I actually prefer height over width but then again, I might be a minority in that regard?

I have to admit, I am like you! Where I used to work, some of my colleagues had HUGE screens with height > width for the type of imaging work they were doing (but often multiple screens side by side). I really like that.

But I also want to documents side by side.... and can't fathom buying two monitors for my small-ish home work area.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:08 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,740,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Can you expand on this? What is the optimal stand I should be looking for, or are you suggesting I need to buy something separately?
Some monitors come with very good stands. The HP monitors I have all adjust vertically, tilt forward and back, and will rotate 90 degrees if you are into that sort of thing, and la2405wg's I have (and I think also the la2205wg) has a depression in the base which makes a good holding area for stuff. I just stick my keyboard there sometimes also to get it out of the way.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Some monitors come with very good stands. The HP monitors I have all adjust vertically, tilt forward and back, and will rotate 90 degrees if you are into that sort of thing, and la2405wg's I have (and I think also the la2205wg) has a depression in the base which makes a good holding area for stuff. I just stick my keyboard there sometimes also to get it out of the way.
Yes, that breath of adjustment sounds great. Wouldn't have looked carefully for that, so thanks.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:47 PM

Am I right that with a 22" you want --> 1920 x 1080

But if you go larger, like 23/24 you want 1920 x 1200?

Old 06-11-2016, 08:14 AM

4,448 posts, read 5,451,342 times
Quote:

rcsteiner covered it. I like to rotate my screen. A desk or wall mount is also available.

Quote:
Am I right that with a 22" you want --> 1920 x 1080

But if you go larger, like 23/24 you want 1920 x 1200?
If you are asking me,

I'd want the 1200 regardless, I'd take in in the 22 and zoom everything at the expense to eating up my canvas space.

Comfortable reading size and distance it very subjective. I like the 1200 because when I rotate it 1200 wide is still sufficient for about everything I do. The 1920 high is a lot less scrolling on webpages. Your laptop might not even give you 1920x1200 as a resolution option even if you get that monitor.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:26 AM

Thanks for this.

Please forgive the question, but how do I find out what screen resolution my computer can support?

Old 06-11-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Too big for 2 feet away.

I'd recommend 23"

https://www.amazon.com/VS238H-P-1920...s=asus+monitor
As best as I can tell, this has a solid stand, with no adjustability? While it's a good price, it seems I might need to buy a more adjustable stand? Or was this not an issue for you?

Old 06-14-2016, 10:01 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,845,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
You're entitled to whatever preferences you choose, but there is nothing to disagree with.
Yes, there was. This is what I was disagreeing to but really, nothing to argue over:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
  • With everything moving to widescreen, that square format is quite limiting and becoming obsolete
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
So do I, but I tend to stack things in two columns.

I use 8-point Mobifont in MobiXterm when doing things concurrently on multiple servers (and can tile 6 or 8 systems fairly comfortably in a 2w x 3h or 2w x4h grid), and I usually use the standard 9-point Terminal font for PuTTY windows when editing code, so even with PuTTY I can stack two side by side most of the time and get plenty of vertical space. I'm running 1920x1200 on my 24" monitors, tho.

I also use VirtuaWin heavily on Windows systems. I have to. At work, it's a 4x4 desktop grid.
As usual, very interesting setup you got there RC! I knew about Putty but just don't usually have any use for it.
I use VirtualBox for all my virtual needs but I will take a closer look at VirtuaWin.
Too bad that ich spreche kein Deutsch!

Quote:
I have to admit, I am like you! Where I used to work, some of my colleagues had HUGE screens with height > width for the type of imaging work they were doing (but often multiple screens side by side). I really like that.

But I also want to documents side by side.... and can't fathom buying two monitors for my small-ish home work area.
So, do you need just one monitor? If so, I recommend Dell UltraSharp U2410 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor.
Very flexible base and great screen specs! Even if you find a refurbished one for $200-$250, get it!

If you get something else, as long as the screen part if exactly what you wanted, do not worry too much about the base/stand. I had a LG monitor before, really nice but had a cr@ppy base so I went to monoprice and grabbed this awesome adjustable LCD mount bracket for $16!

Old 06-14-2016, 10:06 AM

11,832 posts, read 13,968,972 times
Quote:
As best as I can tell, this has a solid stand, with no adjustability? While it's a good price, it seems I might need to buy a more adjustable stand? Or was this not an issue for you?
It tilts both forward and backward as 90% of monitors do today. Hardly any adjust for height these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers