U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-14-2016, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
11,319 posts, read 22,745,181 times
Reputation: 3896

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
As usual, very interesting setup you got there RC! I knew about Putty but just don't usually have any use for it.
I do most of my work these days on remote servers, mainly UNIX variants at this point. I don't play on the mainframe much anymore, sadly. MobiXterm is just another ssh client, like PuTTY, but it has some interesting features like the ability to type commands into multiple server windows concurrently. Nice for editing files on four or eight servers at once.
Quote:
I use VirtualBox for all my virtual needs but I will take a closer look at VirtuaWin.
Too bad that ich spreche kein Deutsch!
VirtuaWin is a virtual desktop tool (like a pager in X) which gives me 16 times the desktop space in a 4x4 grid, and I can flip between "pages" to see different sets of open windows. That lets me have a much more complex setup at work. I leave windows open everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-14-2016, 12:52 PM
 
Location: A safe distance from San Francisco
9,088 posts, read 6,403,975 times
Reputation: 9384
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Yes, there was. This is what I was disagreeing to but really, nothing to argue over:
And yet, once again, you are arguing.

The trend is fast moving to widescreen for most applications. It won't be long before there are about as many square monitors around as there are of the old 4:3 TVs. And those with square monitors will either shrink their screen output size or be missing a large portion of it off the side(s). That is already the case with many/most websites. Viewing them on a square format is quite limiting. Fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2016, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
11,319 posts, read 22,745,181 times
Reputation: 3896
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
And yet, once again, you are arguing.

The trend is fast moving to widescreen for most applications. It won't be long before there are about as many square monitors around as there are of the old 4:3 TVs. And those with square monitors will either shrink their screen output size or be missing a large portion of it off the side(s). That is already the case with many/most websites. Viewing them on a square format is quite limiting. Fact.
Yes, and it's stupid. HTML was created as a content presentation and linking medium, not a visual presentation medium. Even so, mechanisms are there to more precisely control content, and people are just too lazy to use them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2016, 03:41 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
11,849 posts, read 13,978,818 times
Reputation: 8083
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Can you expand on this? What is the optimal stand I should be looking for, or are you suggesting I need to buy something separately?
BACK ON TOPIC: The person suggesting you pay $50 for a Monitor Stand is referring to buying a separate stand.
LIKE THIS

I assume you already have a place where you like your monitor as you are replacing one and not setting up a workstation for the first time so this is pointless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2016, 05:01 PM
 
Location: A safe distance from San Francisco
9,088 posts, read 6,403,975 times
Reputation: 9384
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Yes, and it's stupid. HTML was created as a content presentation and linking medium, not a visual presentation medium. Even so, mechanisms are there to more precisely control content, and people are just too lazy to use them.
Not sure what you're saying is stupid or even what your point is.

Mine is that the square monitor is going away, along with square content - just like the square TV did. So, for the vast majority of users, best advice on a new purchase is to go widescreen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2016, 06:03 PM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
11,319 posts, read 22,745,181 times
Reputation: 3896
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Not sure what you're saying is stupid or even what your point is.
HTML (an SGML variant) was originally designed to present text which would flow regardless of screen size.

It was an INFORMATION medium, not a PRESENTATION medium. A glorified gopher, really. Think newspapers, not glossy magazines.

The world has obviously changed since the beginning of the WWW in the 90's. However ... if people want to create a more visually appealing web site these days, it is perfectly possible to obtain the user's screen resolution from the user's web browser and dynamically generate a page to fit the requesting browser's screen dimensions.

Many web site creators are simply too lazy to take advantage of the tools available and create a single-format site format which tends to make their site harder to use for some users.

Is that clearer for you?

I don't disagree with your assessment that 4:3 and square monitors are going the way of the Dodo.

I just think the underlying reason is laziness ... or perhaps stupidity ... rather than any technical requirement.

Addition ... the software used by C-D is pretty good in this regard. It resizes nicely.

Last edited by rcsteiner; 06-14-2016 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: Added comment about C-D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2016, 01:09 AM
 
Location: Southern California
4,448 posts, read 5,454,463 times
Reputation: 2209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
BACK ON TOPIC: The person suggesting you pay $50 for a Monitor Stand is referring to buying a separate stand.
LIKE THIS

I assume you already have a place where you like your monitor as you are replacing one and not setting up a workstation for the first time so this is pointless.
Note exactly what I was thinking of, as I have said before it has already be described in post #23. An integrated stand from Asus brings the price of the monitor from $130 to $199 for the PB238Q after rebates.

Here are some desk mounts that will let you reclaim some of your desktop space, or bring the monitor closer to your eyes if desired.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tor+desk+mount
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2016, 08:42 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
11,849 posts, read 13,978,818 times
Reputation: 8083
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I just think the underlying reason is laziness ... or perhaps stupidity ... rather than any technical requirement.
Laziness? Come on. AM I talking to Dude111 here? lol KIDDING!!!
Movies are filmed in windscreen. Period. Everything should be widescreen. I don't care if you never ever watch a movie on your screen...widescreen is better in every way. A larger widescreen monitor won't be as tall as a square so it will fir in most places eiaser. There's not one good reason to stick to square.

Quote:
Addition ... the software used by C-D is pretty good in this regard. It resizes nicely.
All we need is zoom. Mouse Wheel + Control and you can zoom in or out on any webpage. And most browsers even keep track of how zoomed you like each webpage. It's a beautiful thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2
Note exactly what I was thinking of, as I have said before it has already be described in post #23. An integrated stand from Asus brings the price of the monitor from $130 to $199 for the PB238Q after rebates.

Here are some desk mounts that will let you reclaim some of your desktop space, or bring the monitor closer to your eyes if desired.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tor+desk+mount
I only mean that you were saying to buy some type of stand IN ADDITION to the monitor. Monitors do come with stands that are most of the time some kind of adjustable. I know you know that, just want the OP to be clear on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2016, 04:08 PM
 
Location: 10110001010110100
6,385 posts, read 10,849,507 times
Reputation: 5589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Laziness? Come on.

All we need is zoom. Mouse Wheel + Control and you can zoom in or out on any webpage. And most browsers even keep track of how zoomed you like each webpage. It's a beautiful thing.
Speaking of laziness and zooming in and out.....go get yourself a pair of reading glasses already!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2016, 09:17 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
11,849 posts, read 13,978,818 times
Reputation: 8083
lol No need when you have ZOOOOOM.

Asus 22" Monitor.
(PS, I have bifocals... )
Attached Thumbnails
Computer monitor advice-pc.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:24 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top