U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 11:55 AM

2,643 posts, read 3,468,693 times

Advertisements

I only own a laptop. Right now it's a Dell inspiron 1545. The plan is to ultimately upgrade to a lighter model (as I carry it daily) - as light as I can afford, but probably not a Dell. Maybe an ASUS or a Mac in the future.

But first, I would like to purchase a good monitor that I can keep on my desk at home, and attach my laptop to so I have a more ergonomic home "work station". My desk is a simple one, and the monitor would probably be around ?1.5 to 2 feet away from where I sit.

I use my computer primarily for writing/reading text documents, internet research/surfing, rarely for watching videos/TV. No gaming. Having two documents open side by side would be convenient, or one document and an internet browser.

I like to buy excellent quality for a good price, and keep it until it dies/repair as needed.

Does 27" sound reasonable, or is that too big?

Any recommendations for models?

Ideally, I'd like something compatible with my current computer, and with either a PC or Mac for when I upgrade in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 12:07 PM

4,373 posts, read 9,524,478 times
I would suggest going to a store like Staples or Best Buy to see the different monitors in person. That will be the best way to judge how large you want to go. Most monitors now are widescreen which I'm not a big fan of, especially if you're not going to be watching video/TV. I use a 19" square monitor for work and it is plenty big. 27" is much too big in my opinion unless you were doing video editing or graphic design.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:07 PM

11,849 posts, read 13,978,818 times
Too big for 2 feet away.

I'd recommend 23"

https://www.amazon.com/VS238H-P-1920...s=asus+monitor

Old 06-09-2016, 12:26 PM

2,643 posts, read 3,468,693 times
I appreciate this advice a lot. Thanks to you both.

Sometimes I forget stores exist. I should get off my butt.

I started with 27" by looking at the size of the monitor that comes with the Mac computers.

I would like to comfortably have two documents open, side by side, without making them too small. I'm getting old (!), and my eyes aren't what they were. I think my current rectangular screen lap top is about 16" across and is much smaller than what I want for a desktop screen.

So my sense is a 19" square monitor is too small for that, and maybe rectangular is better. Am I wrong?

Old 06-09-2016, 02:48 PM

11,849 posts, read 13,978,818 times
No, you are correct. Don't quite get why Ansky doesn't like wide screen monitors. Especially for watching movies which are filmed in widescreen.
I have 2x22's and they are perfect for split screen.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:20 PM

2,808 posts, read 2,519,339 times
I use a 24" monitor, bought it from Staples, their daily deals are even better, especially when they have on sale what you want.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:30 PM

1,168 posts, read 828,740 times
I use a 44 " TV. Much easier on my eyes. I sit on the couch and hook up a cable to the TV. Most flatscreens these days have PC adapters.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
No, you are correct. Don't quite get why Ansky doesn't like wide screen monitors. Especially for watching movies which are filmed in widescreen.
I have 2x22's and they are perfect for split screen.
He said he is not using the monitor for watching movies. I use my monitor for work - mostly Excel and Word documents. The issue I have with widescreen is that the screen is stretched left to right and does not leave enough room top to bottom - causes too much scrolling up and down.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
Most flatscreens these days have PC adapters.
Yes, but most computers, especially laptops, no longer have VGA ports. So you would likely hook up your computer to the TV via an HDMI cable.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:59 PM

9,088 posts, read 6,403,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
I appreciate this advice a lot. Thanks to you both.

Sometimes I forget stores exist. I should get off my butt.

I started with 27" by looking at the size of the monitor that comes with the Mac computers.

I would like to comfortably have two documents open, side by side, without making them too small. I'm getting old (!), and my eyes aren't what they were. I think my current rectangular screen lap top is about 16" across and is much smaller than what I want for a desktop screen.

So my sense is a 19" square monitor is too small for that, and maybe rectangular is better. Am I wrong?
I recently bought a 22" widescreen to replace my 19" square (1280x1024). I considered 27s, but decided they were too big, since I sit fairly close to it, like you.

My 10-year old 19" Samsung looked as good as the day I bought it, but more and more sites have gone to a wide-screen format. So, increasingly, I found myself having to scroll back and forth horizontally to see the whole screen. The widescreen eliminates that need and is great for having two documents side-by-side.

Like you, my eyes aren't what they once were. Most text was quite small on the new widescreen with its 1920x1080 resolution, so I upped it to 158% of normal in the display properties. Now it's perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers