U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 04:18 PM

3,544 posts, read 5,676,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post

If I want to serve you ads you will see ads, it's just a matter of implementation. The Achilles heal of ad blockers is they rely on commonality which itself can result in false positives. Years ago Norton had Ad blocking product and they were blocking files on my site in a folder called "banners", they weren't ads. This is a two way street, I can serve up ads that would be indistinguishable from content.
I'd much rather have an entire site blocked than have adds forced over the top of my blocker. If the only value I provide to a site is to see adds, then there's probably not anything there I want to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 07:33 PM
eok eok started this thread

6,684 posts, read 3,255,404 times
I've been getting malware attempts from Yahoo even today. But Chrome catches them. In any case my main complaint was not whether I get ads but whether a website gets false positives for ad blockers, and if they might use that in the future as an excuse to abuse their relationship with me. Such as to charge an ad-blocker fee, for an imaginary ad blocker. It seemed to me if ad blockers had good defenses against ad-blocker detectors, the ad-blocker detectors would be less likely to be used, and would therefore be less likely to get false positives.

In the future, with Artificial Intelligence, ad blockers should be able to analyze ads to determine whether any of their content might be useful to the user. The user could establish subject areas, keywords, etc., to look for. If what seems to be an ad turns out to be a newsletter subscription you want, it should be easy to educate the ad blocker about it.

I don't want any v1agra nor any information on how to make a killing in penny stocks. I should be able to quickly and easily set up an ad blocker to block whatever kind of ads I want to avoid. And I don't want anything that thinks it has to download anything without asking me first.

Old 06-11-2016, 05:50 AM

40,161 posts, read 41,766,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
My computers security is far more important than someone else's revenue. If sites want ad income they need to get on the ad companies to fix their security issues and stop the constant compromising of their networks. Until that happens, no ad revenue from me.
I understand your concerns Dave and I have my own complaints about the control I have over ads served. My point is if you want to view my site and I want to serve you ads you will see ads. It's just a matter of implementing it, that time is coming because I'm losing revenue. I'm not the only one....

The success of adblocker is going to be it's downfall, some kind of compromise needs to made here. Sites are not going to continue to operate for free.

Old 06-11-2016, 05:55 AM

40,161 posts, read 41,766,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I'd much rather have an entire site blocked than have adds forced over the top of my blocker.
Most people that run web sites do it for compensation, it's a job and when you do a job you expect to get paid. As ad revenue continues to decline something has to give.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:55 AM

10,752 posts, read 17,997,204 times
Quote:
The success of adblocker is going to be it's downfall, some kind of compromise needs to made here. Sites are not going to continue to operate for free.
I don't think we need compromise, we just need ad networks that do proper vetting and don't serve compromised content, fairly simple solution, how easy that is to accomplish I have no idea. At this point it seems they're more interested in the money than the security.

Old 06-11-2016, 12:43 PM

4,348 posts, read 9,499,369 times
The only ad blocker I have used is AdBlock Plus for Chrome. Is there an ad blocker that will block ads across all web browsers without having to use extensions? Specifically, can you block ads in the Edge browser?

Old 06-11-2016, 12:48 PM

10,752 posts, read 17,997,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
The only ad blocker I have used is AdBlock Plus for Chrome. Is there an ad blocker that will block ads across all web browsers without having to use extensions? Specifically, can you block ads in the Edge browser?
You can set up an account at OpenDNS and block many categories including advertising. You'd need to change the DNS settings in your router, and it would cover all devices on your network. https://www.opendns.com/

AFAIK there is no one fix all for every browser that can be installed.

Old 06-11-2016, 02:49 PM

3,544 posts, read 5,676,746 times
Quote:
Most people that run web sites do it for compensation, it's a job and when you do a job you expect to get paid. As ad revenue continues to decline something has to give.
I get that, and have several myself.

But in most situations visitors should be able to provide value to a site that doesn't have to come from ad revenue (with the obvious limits on sites that are nothing more than ad portals).

The City Data forums are a good example: The users are the value ... there's nothing here to see and no reason for people to visit this site without users to answer questions. So while I may not see any adds, I post and reply to posts. My value here isn't to look at ads (that I wouldn't click anyway), it's to provide content that brings other viewers (that may click on ads).

Most blogs and information sharing sites are the same way. Without readers to share those posts to other places there's no readership to see the ads in the first place. It's about value, and for sites that have quality content, I provide value by sending them more readers.

Like I said, if there's no two way street on your sites (they just exist to display ads), then I'd rather be blocked from the entire site then have the security risk and annoyance of ads.

I'm fine with that ... People post links to Forbes all the time ... Forbes blocks users that block ads .... I don't go to Forbes anymore (apparently I provide no value, and there's nothing there of value to me).
But I also won't be linking to their articles from my blogs or social media since I no longer read their content, and won't be linking to posts / articles that share their content, as I can't see that content myself to decide if I agree with it.

I've also personally stopped following / visiting sites that use adblade and their various blog plugins to get around blockers (their ads are almost always for scams anyway, and I'd rather not support people that use them).

I'm also not above paying for content. I subscribe to multiple paywall sites that provide high quality content that I want.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:40 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,536,743 times
Not only do I have ad blocker but I also have third party cookies set to 'prompt' as in let me see it first before they install that garbage [most are trackers]. I block just about all of them. I also have 'flash player' set to prompt. I have limited gigs a month and don't want to waste any on videos I don't want to see.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:41 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,480,954 times
Adware is getting more and more intrusive and consuming more and more data. If I only have 3G of data I certainly don't want large chunks used for ads
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or