U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 04:46 AM

450 posts, read 355,088 times

Advertisements

A while back somebody posted an idea that I really liked: the people who deliver ads have a right to do so. So why can't I have a right to opt out of being advertised to?
Which isn't all bad since those that refuse to be advertised to rarely if ever respond to popup ads. That couldn't hurt the advertisers and might even save them money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 10:45 AM

40,296 posts, read 41,850,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worren View Post
So why can't I have a right to opt out of being advertised to?
You can opt out by not viewing the site. If I'm providing you a service and the terms of that service is that you will view ads why do you think you should be able to change that? If you don't like the terms go someone else.

Quote:
Which isn't all bad since those that refuse to be advertised to rarely if ever respond to popup ads. That couldn't hurt the advertisers and might even save them money.
While the bulk of the revenue is usually per click on an ad you can be paid for impressions.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:02 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,745,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You can opt out by not viewing the site. If I'm providing you a service and the terms of that service is that you will view ads why do you think you should be able to change that? If you don't like the terms go someone else.
If someone doesn't want non-paying viewers, they should set up a paywall. That way others can ignore the site up front.

I don't generally mind ads, and I don't actively block them right now, but I do think I have the right to remove whatever I place from the data feeds coming into my browser via plugins or whatever.

If your business is so dependent on ads that you can't survive having them blocked, perhaps you need to tweak your business model?

Old 06-13-2016, 02:25 PM

40,296 posts, read 41,850,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
If someone doesn't want non-paying viewers, they should set up a paywall. That way others can ignore the site up front.
Most people dislike paywalls more than ads and this also prevents them from seeing what I have to offer. How I want to run my site is up to me, like I said if you don't like it go elsewhere.

Old 06-13-2016, 04:44 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,482,995 times
I'm not against adware, just data hogging in your face adware. If the ads are more subtle, no problem, but if it's obnoxious, eventually I'll get pissed and I won't go back to that site. I would venture a guess that most people would respond in a similar manner.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:20 AM

13,339 posts, read 20,388,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skugelstadt View Post
I'm not against adware, just data hogging in your face adware. If the ads are more subtle, no problem, but if it's obnoxious, eventually I'll get pissed and I won't go back to that site. I would venture a guess that most people would respond in a similar manner.
Exactly right! Pop ups and pop unders suck. Just put an unobtrusive ad on the page. I'll see it and decide for myself if I'm interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or