U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 03:02 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,786,285 times

Advertisements

OCD is OCD, whether it's with a computer hooked up to the Internet or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 07:02 AM

10,565 posts, read 5,816,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
Yep. You're in the computer forum. So those who have replied to you are most likely to be computer-centric. Ergo, efficiency and the right tool for the job and all that. For what it's worth, I'm a hobby photographer focusing on nature, wildlife, hunting.
In the computer forum under the science and technology heading, so the DSLR fits here as well. Secondly, I didn't start it here; it got moved here.

Quote:
Anyway, my wife and I did that years ago. Re-purposed a freebie older Win-XP laptop that was given to us for kitchen duty. It was a novelty at first. Then became tiresome. Then a hassle, really, since it took up space.
To each their own. So far, I haven't found Gabrielle to be that.

Quote:
Anyway, if your mind is made up about "no tablets",
The basic thing about tablets for me is that it is a piece of equipment that would spend more time in a drawer than in use.......like a smart phone or the camera feature on my Razor. When I found out what a hassle it was to get the pictures off it, I stopped using that feature. The pictures taken YEARS ago are still there.

Another thing is that I'm a Generalist. I don't necessarily believe that everything needs a specialized piece of equipment (some tasks do, of course). When I have a job to be done, I look around and see what I have that will do it.

Quote:
For the use-case you've described (recipes to be used in the kitchen. ),... it just screams "Tablet". Some people who've never had a tablet don't appreciate how useful they've become. And not everyone becomes a zombie. You determine whether you become a zombie or have "idle time on the Net".

1.) Your approach = take photo of recipes using DSLR with appropriate lens, download to usb stick, load into kitchen computer, Gabrielle? "When you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail".
Well, I would download from the camera either with a card reader or direct USB cable.

Quote:
vs.

2.) ............ Or don't even take photo. Just go to allrecipes.com and read. That's if you have home wifi, of course.
Well, there is that slight problem there of time. I have the cookbook but to go to allrecipes, then I have to research the recipe in the book to find its equivalent in allrecipes.

Quote:
Me? I would sell "Gabrielle" for $50 and get a tablet (i.e. Amazon Fire tablet) for $49 or less when on sale. So break-even. Hardly any money spent. But a lot more useful. Plug in a Micro SD card and load it with ebooks, videos, etc ... that's a whole lot of data/information you can take with you if you need a computer on the go.
I don't do ebooks, I do real books. The problem with ebooks are many folds. First of all, once it is printed in ink, it can't be modified but ebooks don't have that same claim. Does one own the ebook or can it be taken away. Finally, Giles said it best:

"Smell is the most powerful trigger to the memory there is. A certain flower, or a-a whiff of smoke can bring up experiences long forgotten. Books smell musty and-and-and rich. The knowledge gained from a computer is a... it, uh, it has no-no texture, no-no context. It's-it's there and then it's gone. If it's to last, then-then the getting of knowledge should be, uh, tangible. It should be, um, smelly."
(BTVS, "I, Robot.....You, Jane")

When I'm sitting in the laundromat, I'm reading a real book or writing in my diary. That's me.

Quote:
When idle (the tablet, not you), it can function as a digital photo display for family photos.
I frame and hang my pictures. I live to cover my walls with pictures.

Quote:
Or a kitchen timer. Or even (broad)cast cooking videos to the kitchen tv (if you have one)!
That's an interesting thing. When I was younger and very foolish, I had a VCR and small TV in the kitchen so I could watch TV while doing the dishes. Fortunately, I am now here to reflect on that and hence.......I don't have a TV in the kitchen.

Quote:
Even log into the local library and borrow/check out recipe books onto your tablet. From your kitchen! Rather than having an old laptop taking up space and energy in the kitchen.
Once upon a time, in the BITNET days, there was a recipe site that I downloaded a binder full of recipes from. I never used them and two or so years ago, perhaps during the move, I dumped the entire folder, kept the binder, into recycling.

The thing is rather two fold. First of all, I already have all these recipe books, so I don't need more. Secondly, with Gabrielle's "small" memory (only 37.4 G), it shouldn't be that much of a problem to do a monthly backup of it. Just plug in a hard drive and copy files over. Now, compare that to the steps for a tablet:

How to Back Up Your Android Tablet - For Dummies

Further, another reason why not to be hooked up to the Net for such a minor function is that I often find that going to this site, such as the above, or that slows the computer down massively. Not Gabrielle but Selene, what I am typing on now. There are various videos running on the side, there is some plugin which is demanding attention, it locks up Firefox so I can't shift tabs, and that is really just a pain! Better to have something dedicated to the small task of cooking than something which is trying to give you the world.

Quote:
....... Sure, you can make it work. But there are better ways.
Not necessarily as I have pointed out above.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 06-19-2016 at 07:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or