U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 10:00 AM

15,749 posts, read 9,559,429 times

Advertisements

I have an older laptop & my wife has a tablet. Every so often when I log onto my computer I'll open my desktop & it will look exactly like her desktop. Is it the internet? Could it be the internet? Or is my computer confused about what it wants to be?

I did restart my computer but it still looks like hers. Now the windows 10 has been popping up of late & I keep clicking on decline. Is it possible that it updated itself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 10:14 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,843,546 times
Where is my darn crystal ball? Never around when I need it...

reed, what did you mean your desktop is exactly like hers? Icons and wallpaper or just wallpaper which anyone could simply change?

Are you logging on as the same user on both machines or do both of you have different logons, meaning different user profiles on each machine? What version of Windows are running on each system?

Could it be that she was logged in as herself and then puts the machine to Sleep or Hibernation mode, then you come along and resume her session?

As far as your last question goes; do you really want to upgrade to Windows?
Would you be able to know what to do if the upgrade went south or created system or application errors?

If I am not mistaken, you could actually upgrade it using that very same pop-up or reminder (icon) in the system tray.

Alternatively, if you weren't interested or ready for the upgrade, you could get rid of the reminder using a tool like GWX Control Panel.

I am not saying do or don't upgrade to Windows 10 but just know what in entails.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Where is my darn crystal ball? Never around when I need it...

reed, what did you mean your desktop is exactly like hers? Icons and wallpaper or just wallpaper which anyone could simply change?

Are you logging on as the same user on both machines or do both of you have different logons, meaning different user profiles on each machine? What version of Windows are running on each system?

Could it be that she was logged in as herself and then puts the machine to Sleep or Hibernation mode, then you come along and resume her session?

As far as your last question goes; do you really want to upgrade to Windows?
Would you be able to know what to do if the upgrade went south or created system or application errors?

If I am not mistaken, you could actually upgrade it using that very same pop-up or reminder (icon) in the system tray.

Alternatively, if you weren't interested or ready for the upgrade, you could get rid of the reminder using a tool like GWX Control Panel.

I am not saying do or don't upgrade to Windows 10 but just know what in entails.

Icons for the most part & we log on as different users on our own computers. There is something else I just noticed too. There is an icon for an action center much like on her tablet. It even says tablet mode.
I am lost. One more thing when I am on whatever site the screen, setting everything has changed. Which makes me wonder if it didn't upload windows 10 on it's own.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:36 AM

39,889 posts, read 57,710,982 times
You can check what Windows version is there. No need to guess...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:15 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,772,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I have an older laptop & my wife has a tablet. Every so often when I log onto my computer I'll open my desktop & it will look exactly like her desktop. Is it the internet? Could it be the internet? Or is my computer confused about what it wants to be?

I did restart my computer but it still looks like hers. Now the windows 10 has been popping up of late & I keep clicking on decline. Is it possible that it updated itself?
How did you, um, decline it?
MS turned Windows 10 into a Recommended Update so if your PC is set to update automatically then ...

Old 06-14-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
How did you, um, decline it?
MS turned Windows 10 into a Recommended Update so if your PC is set to update automatically then ...

I would have a screen that kept popping up that mentioned that I should download windows 10 I kept ignoring it. I'm the first to admit I'm not very computer savvy, but it does seem that I now have Windows 10. But I still don't get why my laptop would have an icon that says tablet mode.

Old 06-14-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
I would have a screen that kept popping up that mentioned that I should download windows 10 I kept ignoring it. I'm the first to admit I'm not very computer savvy, but it does seem that I now have Windows 10. But I still don't get why my laptop would have an icon that says tablet mode.
Because some PCs have touchscreens or is detachable so you can use it like a tablet.
Go to Settings > System to turn it off so you can get access to your desktop.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Because some PCs have touchscreens or is detachable so you can use it like a tablet.
Go to Settings > System to turn it off so you can get access to your desktop.

Mine isn't one of those but my wife's is. I don't have touch screen & it's not a tablet. Mine is a laptop hers is a tablet. So why would mine be showing a tablet icon?

Old 06-15-2016, 10:25 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,843,546 times
I don't think this is anything serious or malware related so I wouldn't worry too much about this odd situation.
Are you able to capture a screenshot of the desktops under both logins (for you and your wife's login)?

Where does the icon point to (right-click > properties)?

Are either of you login with your Windows Live accounts which 10 is configured to use/prompt for?

Once your hotmail/outlook/msn account is linked to the PC, it is damn near impossible to drop it or at least that is my experience with it:

I used my hotmail account (for Visual .Net installation) and Windows (10 Pro) linked it to my actual work domain user profile in a very odd way. Now I see my Hotmail profile avatar (icon) at the Windows user log on screen and it is really not suitable for work (as you can see below):

Even unlinking that account from my user profile proved fruitless. It still shows. Heck, I re-created my local profile from scratch, still there, like a virus.

Anyhow, I digress.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Mine isn't one of those but my wife's is. I don't have touch screen & it's not a tablet. Mine is a laptop hers is a tablet. So why would mine be showing a tablet icon?
Are you able to turn it off?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or