U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2016, 11:12 PM

1,084 posts, read 897,005 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of us who are still using Windows 7 or 8/8.1 and don't want to upgrade to Windows 10 at this time....and may never want/need to. But after July 29, 2016, the Windows 10 upgrade will cost $119. There is a way to download Windows 10 and keep it for future use but continue using your current version of Windows indefinitely. It requires an extra hard drive (or SSD, in my case) but it may be a viable option for those who aren't ready to 'upgrade' or don't know if they will do so.

I simply replaced the existing SSD (main drive) in my laptop with a clean, formatted SSD. I then installed Windows 10 and ACTIVATED it ('activation' is very important). Then I replaced it with my original drive (which runs Window 7 Pro) and continued as usual. So I have my free copy of Windows 10 on an SSD tucked away in my desk if I ever decide that I want to use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 03:52 PM

4,875 posts, read 2,494,990 times
cool. also making an image tarball with dd mite work without having to buy extra hard drives ?

Old 06-18-2016, 04:00 PM

39,769 posts, read 57,642,611 times
You can “reserve” that free copy now, so you can upgrade after July 29 without paying. By upgrading a computer now and then rolling back to Windows 7 or 8, you’ll get to keep your original version of Windows, but “reserve” that free Windows 10 license for all your PCs.
That way your PC receives a “digital entitlement.” Basically, Microsoft notes on its servers that your particular PC’s hardware is eligible for Windows 10 going forward.

Once your PC is eligible, it’s always eligible–you can reinstall Windows 10 from scratch and it’ll automatically activate, without you even entering a product key.
Remember, that works just for that one PC you enabled.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:47 PM

20,973 posts, read 12,588,450 times
My bank and a friends bank will no longer support my w 7. They are forcing the upgrade, I am livid as just bought a recon dell 780 w 7 and it will not upgrade. Dell said its not been tested on 780 so forget about it! Soon can't open anything except off w/10. Monopoly!

Old 06-20-2016, 08:20 AM

10,752 posts, read 17,997,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
My bank and a friends bank will no longer support my w 7. They are forcing the upgrade, I am livid as just bought a recon dell 780 w 7 and it will not upgrade.
Highly unlikely. As stated in a previous thread it's likely a browser version they aren't supporting. Which bank are we talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or