U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 09:36 AM

3,287 posts, read 1,674,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Yes, when say you are in 'My documents, that window' Maybe I worded that poorly.
Found that, not sure what "restore defaults" would do, so I'm nervous about clicking that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 10:01 AM

4,635 posts, read 3,969,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Found that, not sure what "restore defaults" would do, so I'm nervous about clicking that.
Create a restore point and then change the settings. If you do not like the results then set the computer back to your restore point.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Create a restore point and then change the settings. If you do not like the results then set the computer back to your restore point.
Okay, I'll do that at the next restart.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:25 AM

18,581 posts, read 55,510,434 times
A little more info is needed, I think.

What operating system, version?
What are you using for security software?
What program(s) are you using to read/create/save the files?
Are you storing to a hard drive or other media, and if so, what?
Are you storing in folders that set the attributes for the files within them by default?

Old 06-25-2016, 11:31 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,906 posts, read 33,651,200 times
Quote:
How do I find out if the drive is NTFS formatted?
The internal drive you already have is NTFS formatted, because Windows 7 will only boot off of NTFS formatted volumes. Most external drives are shipped with NTFS formatting. You will have to reformat the drive, and that link in my previous post explains how to do it.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
The internal drive you already have is NTFS formatted, because Windows 7 will only boot off of NTFS formatted volumes. Most external drives are shipped with NTFS formatting. You will have to reformat the drive, and that link in my previous post explains how to do it.
This is on the internal HDD and on external HDDs.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
A little more info is needed, I think.

What operating system, version?
What are you using for security software?
What program(s) are you using to read/create/save the files?
Are you storing to a hard drive or other media, and if so, what?
Are you storing in folders that set the attributes for the files within them by default?
WIN 7, 64-bit Home Professional.

Avast.

Anything that writes files, really. Word, FineReader, anything.

Happens on C: drive and on externals.

I created the folders for all the items I'm having problems with.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:56 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,906 posts, read 33,651,200 times
Quote:
This is on the internal HDD and on external HDDs.
Which makes sense, because your internal drive has to be NTFS (or Win 7 wouldn't boot up) and most external drives ship with NTFS formatting. You would need to manually reformat the external drive to make it FAT32 or ExFAT. Note that reformatting is a destructive process, so back up all of the data one the drive before you reformat it!

Old 06-25-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Which makes sense, because your internal drive has to be NTFS (or Win 7 wouldn't boot up) and most external drives ship with NTFS formatting. You would need to manually reformat the external drive to make it FAT32 or ExFAT. Note that reformatting is a destructive process, so back up all of the data one the drive before you reformat it!
I have fourteen terabyte in five drives, so I should be able to back it up.

Old 06-25-2016, 06:17 PM

18,581 posts, read 55,510,434 times
For whatever reason, apparently Windows can set the folder attributes to read-only on its own - including the drive letter folders... why, I have no idea other than it probably is some miscreant security "feature."

It looks like there may be three different solutions -

Solution 1. download this attribute changer freeware program and use it: Home | Attribute Changer I have no experience with it, have not downloaded or checked for viruses, but looks like a few people have used it successfully.

Solution 2. start a new administrator account, take control of the files from there, and delete the old admin account. Someone else can go into detail on how to do that.

Solution 3. Solution according to HugoD, who spent some hours figuring it out.
Quoting:

All those "attrb" never works with me, do this and it will works:

When looking at Folder Properties, the Read Only (RO) box will ALWAYS be shaded (With a Classic Theme it will be a grayed check).
This box does not indicate the current attributes of the folder, or the files it contains. Instead, it shows what action will be taken when you click Apply or OK.

If Checked, the RO attribute will be set.
If unchecked, the RO attribute will be unset.
If shaded (blobbed) there will be no change.

As noted, this only applies to Files in the folder, it will not change the RO attribute on a folder. That has to be done from the Command Prompt.

Adding the Attributes column in Details view, or using the attrib command in a Command Prompt (or comparable command in VBScript/jscript/etc) is the only way to see the current setting of the RO attribute on a folder.

To take ownership of the drive and reset permissions:
Right click the drive, click Properties.
Click the Security tab.
Click the Advanced button (not the Edit button).
Click the Owner tab.
Click the Edit button.
Highlight your username.
Check the box for Replace owner on subcontainers and objects.
Click OK to close each dialog until it begins applying permissions.
If you get any errors, click Continue.
When done, close the Properties dialog. It must be closed and re-opened.
Right click the drive, click Properties.
Click the Security tab.
Click the Advanced button (not the Edit button).
Click the Permissions tab.
Click the Change Permissions button.
Add your account if needed.
If Administrators, System, and your account do not show Full Control for This folder, subfolder, and files, highlight each and click Edit.
Change the permissions to Full Control, and the Apply to: box to This folder, subfolder, and files.
The Users group should have three entries:

Read & Execute for This folder, subfolder, and files.
Create folders / append data for This folder and subfolders.
Special for Subfolders only

Select/add each one and set the Apply to: box as needed.
Use this list to set the permissions.

Full Control
Traverse folder / execute file
List folder / read data
Read attributes
Read extended attributes
Create files / write data
Create folders / append data
Write attributes
Write extended attributes
Delete subfolders and files
Delete
Read permissions
Change permissions
Take ownership

For Read & Execute, check #'s 2, 3, 4, 5, and 12 only.
For Create folders / append data check # 7 only.
For Special check # 6 only.
Everyone should have one entry shown as Special. It will have the same permissions as the Users Read & Execute except Apply to: is This folder only.
Creator Owner should have one entry shown as Special. It will have Full Control permissions and Apply to: is Subfolders and files only.
OK back to the Permissions tab if needed and check the box for Replace all child permissions with inheritable permissions from this object.
You'll get a warning that explicitly defined permissions will be removed. Click Yes to continue.
If you get any errors, just click Continue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or