Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 01:35 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,220,282 times

Advertisements

I recently finished up building a triple boot system (XP-32, W7-64, Mint 17.3 64). I have been an XP user on my personal machines up until this point and have never had serious issues, I still think XP is one of the best operating systems out there. I have quite a bit of professional experience with 7 and like it very much as well. A few people have been bending my ear to try out Mint, so here I am.

So for the Mint users... why do you use it? What sort of things does it really excel at? What does it notably lack, compared to the MS operating systems mentioned? My questions are broad, I am just trying to get an idea of how I want to start using this system.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 03:30 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
I use Mint as one of several OSes I keep on an emergency USB stick created using YUMI.

YUMI – Multiboot USB Creator | USB Pen Drive Linux

I don't use it as a regular desktop ... I decided a while ago that I liked Xubuntu slightly better ... but the two Linux variants are quite similar. I mainly use Xubuntu to surf the web (Firefox), read email (Thunderbird), play games via DOSBOX, and interact with my Sony Reader using Callibre. Oh, and I sometimes run VLC or Kodi for music/movies.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:58 PM

8,311 posts, read 13,444,568 times
Yumi is really good, I like it.

Check out Rufus if you haven't. That is another awesome free multi-boot tool.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:22 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,340,860 times
I don't use Linux Mint. On my two desktops I use Linux Ubuntu, 14.04 on one and just recently upgraded the other to 16.04. The Long Term Support (LTS) on 16.04 takes it out to 2021.

I recently saw this article about how the new Linux Mint 18 (now in Beta and soon to be released) will be based on Ubuntu 16.04. So far, I like 16.04 and will be upgrading my other desktop soon. The upgrade took just 20 minutes.

Linux Mint 18 Will Be Based on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, Offers Better Hardware Support

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlffA1M12Ss

My systems are dual-boot ( U and W7).

Last edited by nezlie; 06-22-2016 at 05:31 AM..

Old 06-22-2016, 05:41 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,465,766 times
I really don't know what it is about Linux Mint that I seem to like over the other Linux distros. It just seems to be easier to use for me in terms of the GUI. However, when it comes to command line, I've had more success with CentOS.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:54 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
I wouldn't get caught up in different distros, guys. I really think his question could be paraphrased:
"What do you use LINUX for?"

He asked how it compares to MS...not Ubuntu.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:55 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,273,323 times
If it's just a general question of "Why to use Linux" then I have a few answers.

It's free.

Linux is safer from attacks.

Linux and their distros won't update automatically/forcefully and won't "spy" on you.

It's a bit smaller in size than Windows.

It almost always runs better on older hardware.

It usually is the first to support different more experimental things like unique file systems.

You can get a lot of productivity out of free full fledged programs like Gimp. You can learn how to use Linux, learn the command line and permissions, which differ from Windows.

You can customize Linux, and do cool GUI placement/tricks/visuals. Linux was way ahead of the curve in terms of virtual desktops.

You can try messing around with server versions and try creating a file server, again for free. You can also mess around with virtual servers. A new copy of MS server is expensive and usually needs a more power machine.

------------

In the end Linux/Mint or any version is more about the what I would call tacit or inactive benefits of the OS. If you're really wanting to be super productive, or professional then you're better off with Windows (or OSx).

Old 06-22-2016, 08:59 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,465,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I wouldn't get caught up in different distros, guys. I really think his question could be paraphrased:
"What do you use LINUX for?"

He asked how it compares to MS...not Ubuntu.
In that case, it is a very broad question, because there's a plethora of stuff we use Linux for over MS Windows. Namely a lot of our Cisco stuff, imaging servers, etc...

In terms of using it on a desktop bases, it's pretty easy to use and it's free. Usually don't have to deal with attacks as much as you do Windows.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:22 AM

8,311 posts, read 13,444,568 times
I think Lux is savvy enough if he was able to setup his PC to triple boot and furthermore, he is a curious one.

Lux, I think you have all the prerequisites!

It will boil down to picking the distro that is most suitable to your needs. You can read up on each one on any of the sites that offer download links to each.
Using a Live version of a distro is probably the quickest way to get a feel for it before doing a full install to HD.

Why Linux over Windows? I believe it would vary from individual to individual but harhar nailed the most common factors.

It all boils down to finding the right distro and investing time into getting to know it. Use free eBooks and informative videos available on popular sites to find out about the distro you are using so you will have some idea beforehand and direction to explore it further.

I, too liked to overall appeal of Mint Linux but haven't explored much beyond the UI. I have been fooling with Kali Linux because I liked its "4ensik" angle which is something I am curious about.

After all, it is all about being curious enough to monkey with thing, right George?

Old 06-22-2016, 09:41 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,766,438 times
Things to do with Mint:

I was going to say you can make tea with it, or make a mint sugar syrup to make a mojito, or use it in cooking Greek dishes. If it's cat mint, dry it for your cats...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers