U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2016, 07:09 AM

2,715 posts, read 3,005,164 times

Advertisements

I suppose Unersu's post is pure coincidence as I post this. They can't be related - can they. My Thunderbird program will not open this morning. Everything else is working fine but Tbird just sits there sleeping.

Ideas? Suggestions? Please. Thank you. Hazel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 08:12 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,904 posts, read 33,646,478 times
Reboot the computer?

It's amazing how often that fixes mystery symptoms.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:31 AM

You are right but it wasn't that simple this time. Solution? And this could likely also be a great idea for other problems. I Googled the problem and found what proved to be the answer.

Thunderbird will not open because it is already running. Close Thunderbird and reopen it. Huh? Puzzle! I then did a right click on the icon and saw "Force close". Clicked that. Got a note to report the problem. Clicked that and went back to Tbird. Voila! Success.

As those with a Mac, know, when a program is open, there is a black dot beneath the icon. There was a black dot under Tbird but that doesn't usually stop it from opening. Perhaps this time it did because I had just booted up and it had not closed when I shut down last night.

Just a guess from an unknowing one in case anyone else ever runs into this problem.

Thanks again and stay safe as you enjoy the Fourth today.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:22 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,847,586 times
According to what you stated to be the fix, Bo's suggestion (reboot) would have worked if it was a "proper" reboot.
The only reason what you did worked and not the proper reboot didn't, is likely to be due to TBird was in a startup location and was launching automatically as you restarted your computer.

By "proper" restart, I do mean PC is resetting itself, no hibernation or sleep or any other Mickey Mouse reset.
If still unsure, shutdown the PC, pull the power cord out, count to 20 in Norwegian, then plug the cord back in and turn the system on. This would surely reset everything, provided the app was not configured to start automatically each session.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
According to what you stated to be the fix, Bo's suggestion (reboot) would have worked if it was a "proper" reboot.
The only reason what you did worked and not the proper reboot didn't, is likely to be due to TBird was in a startup location and was launching automatically as you restarted your computer.

By "proper" restart, I do mean PC is resetting itself, no hibernation or sleep or any other Mickey Mouse reset.
If still unsure, shutdown the PC, pull the power cord out, count to 20 in Norwegian, then plug the cord back in and turn the system on. This would surely reset everything, provided the app was not configured to start automatically each session.
Actually, I didn't reboot because I'd just read that reply about it was already running and had an idea. As you say, either way would work.

Forgive my bragging. I rather like that I dared try something on my own -- and it worked!

Old 07-07-2016, 09:23 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
I then did a right click on the icon and saw "Force close". Clicked that. Got a note to report the problem. Clicked that and went back to Tbird. Voila! Success.
Congrats on finding a solution to the issue.

Here's a technique to keep in your back pocket for the next time you have a stubborn Mac application. Remember this key combination: Command + Option + Esc. That brings up a list of running applications and you can easily "force quit" any of them from that list. That list will also tell you whether an application is responding to the operating system... often providing a confirmation that you're not imagining it's misbehavior!

Old 07-07-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
For everyone's reference, on a Mac, the way to prevent applications from launching automatically at login is to hold down the Shift-Key while the computer is starting up. (Advanced/Windows users will recognize this as booting into Safe Mode.)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201255

Old 07-08-2016, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Congrats on finding a solution to the issue.

Here's a technique to keep in your back pocket for the next time you have a stubborn Mac application. Remember this key combination: Command + Option + Esc. That brings up a list of running applications and you can easily "force quit" any of them from that list. That list will also tell you whether an application is responding to the operating system... often providing a confirmation that you're not imagining it's misbehavior!
Thank you, Bo. I am using a Windows keyboard with my Mac but I think I have the "translation" on a list a friend sent me. I'll make a note.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:43 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,847,586 times
Yes, thank you Bo!

Not that I am planning on using a Mac anytime soon (thank god) but it is good to know.

Next time I get banned here, I'll hold down the SHIFT key before clicking on the C-D bookmark to see if it lets me in!

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 07-08-2016 at 05:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or