U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-04-2016, 05:45 PM
 
2,709 posts, read 3,001,518 times
Reputation: 1226

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Do the fourth-graders curse at you and tell you they're paying your salary when you're trying to teach them?
Does your school superintendent tell you you're spending too much time on certain fourth-graders and tell you you only have 15 minutes to make them understand, otherwise, move on to the next fourth-grader?
They wouldn't dare! The fourth graders, I mean.

The superintendent? As a matter of fact, I did have that happen once. I'd totally forgotten about it until this moment. He told me have to dedicate our time to those who could learn and let the others slide through, that they would never learn anyway. I disagreed. He was one of my minor frustrations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-05-2016, 08:13 AM
 
10,752 posts, read 17,997,204 times
Reputation: 10244
As a side note I have found the the average computer user will absolutely refuse to help themselves or apply common sense when they run in to a problem. Even a task as simple as reading a pop up message or email seems to be beyond their abilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2016, 08:28 AM
 
2,709 posts, read 3,001,518 times
Reputation: 1226
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
As a side note I have found the the average computer user will absolutely refuse to help themselves or apply common sense when they run in to a problem. Even a task as simple as reading a pop up message or email seems to be beyond their abilities.
I am afraid I have to agree with you and say "Guilty as charged". Sometimes anyway. Although I'm improving. It isn't that we (I) don't want to. It's that we panic whenever something looks the least bit wrong. We are quite certain we have broken the machine. I once had a tech support person on the line who said "Now, let's take a deep breath and relax. We can fix it". And we did as he led me through Kindergarten steps. Ah, that was years ago when I didn't click anything unless someone said it was OK to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2016, 08:31 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
11,814 posts, read 13,951,598 times
Reputation: 8047
I am always absolutely pleasant. There are a few co-workers I almost consider friends, so I tease them some times when they call, but everyone else gets nothing but the happiest-to-help IT guy when they call. I take it very seriously. I want my employees to love the technology, to brag to others about how great stuff runs at the office.
I hear people complain about IT a lot: "Our IT department sucks" "We're using the oldest computers you can imagine" blablabla. Not 'my people'.
There is one employee that annoys me but not because she's a pain in the ass. Because she apologizes every time she calls me. "I'm sorry to bother you..." UGH! BOTHER ME! That's my job to be 'bothered' by you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2016, 08:39 AM
 
2,709 posts, read 3,001,518 times
Reputation: 1226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I am always absolutely pleasant. There are a few co-workers I almost consider friends, so I tease them some times when they call, but everyone else gets nothing but the happiest-to-help IT guy when they call. I take it very seriously. I want my employees to love the technology, to brag to others about how great stuff runs at the office.
I hear people complain about IT a lot: "Our IT department sucks" "We're using the oldest computers you can imagine" blablabla. Not 'my people'.
There is one employee that annoys me but not because she's a pain in the ass. Because she apologizes every time she calls me. "I'm sorry to bother you..." UGH! BOTHER ME! That's my job to be 'bothered' by you.
There are a lot of very pleasant people working as tech support people. I have met a few. That article just got us onto the dark side. We could all tell horror stories but let's not. Have a good day. I am off to visit a pleasant dentist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2016, 08:50 AM
 
10,752 posts, read 17,997,204 times
Reputation: 10244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
I am afraid I have to agree with you and say "Guilty as charged". Sometimes anyway. Although I'm improving. It isn't that we (I) don't want to. It's that we panic whenever something looks the least bit wrong. We are quite certain we have broken the machine. I once had a tech support person on the line who said "Now, let's take a deep breath and relax. We can fix it". And we did as he led me through Kindergarten steps. Ah, that was years ago when I didn't click anything unless someone said it was OK to do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I am always absolutely pleasant. There are a few co-workers I almost consider friends, so I tease them some times when they call, but everyone else gets nothing but the happiest-to-help IT guy when they call. I take it very seriously. I want my employees to love the technology, to brag to others about how great stuff runs at the office.
I hear people complain about IT a lot: "Our IT department sucks" "We're using the oldest computers you can imagine" blablabla. Not 'my people'.
There is one employee that annoys me but not because she's a pain in the ass. Because she apologizes every time she calls me. "I'm sorry to bother you..." UGH! BOTHER ME! That's my job to be 'bothered' by you.
We'd rather get the call before a user ends up causing even more problems. The people I have issue with are those that can't read a simple message and act accordingly, like people calling because the printer is telling them it's out of paper, and they can't figure out a resolution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2016, 10:28 AM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
13,306 posts, read 20,356,455 times
Reputation: 7989
Didn't Microsoft create the problem with pop up error messages that don't clearly identify what is wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2016, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
11,814 posts, read 13,951,598 times
Reputation: 8047
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Didn't Microsoft create the problem with pop up error messages that don't clearly identify what is wrong?
He's not talking about the incomprehensible STOP error messages. More like "Please load paper in tray 1".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2016, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
13,306 posts, read 20,356,455 times
Reputation: 7989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
He's not talking about the incomprehensible STOP error messages. More like "Please load paper in tray 1".
I understood that. I was just commenting on the general topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2016, 01:09 PM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
11,319 posts, read 22,730,215 times
Reputation: 3895
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Didn't Microsoft create the problem with pop up error messages that don't clearly identify what is wrong?
No. I remember PC/GEOS popping up a dialog that said, "I am sooo confused" back in the day (GeoWorks Ensemble maybe ~1990/1991), and creative error messages have been found on mainframe and other platforms for years.

Yeah, you might tend to see more messages with dense information (register dumps, TRAP screens, etc.) on many non-Windows platforms, but I don't think MS started it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:10 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top