Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 02:06 PM

23,568 posts, read 70,202,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I guess I just don't fundamentally understand the mindset of someone who would work in a job that was intentionally rude to customers. Would you be that way in a face to face discussion? I can understand a bunch of bean counting MBAs deciding it was more profitable since they already sold their souls, but this is at the worker level.
As usual, every situation is different. There are customers that I "fired." One of them started out completely computer illiterate - to the point of not knowing how to use a mouse. She required regular support for things covered in the manual, but the killer was that along the way she hired a local computer guru, who promptly went exactly against some of the operating system requirements for my program, effectively crippling it.

I have had other customers that had no problems at all with my program, but were constantly calling for support for their Windows networking. While my software has support costs built in, those calls were an expense to me and kept me from doing other work. I had to resort to a high cost-per-call support fee for any problem outside of my software. "Rude" goes both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 02:13 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,242,446 times
And what answer do you get?

Last edited by Hazel W; 07-04-2016 at 03:36 PM..

Old 07-04-2016, 03:11 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,552,544 times
lol:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/44641144-post4.html

Old 07-04-2016, 03:13 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,295,510 times
One pro-tip: If you have a problem, use your cell phone to get a screen shot for reference. Forward it to tech support if they want to see it. Keep it for future reference.

Old 07-04-2016, 03:25 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,077,425 times
A long time ago I was working in tech support and if you get non-communicative customers like this: http://www.city-data.com/forum/compu...aking-pdf.html
day in and day out, it can get pretty frustrating.

Old 07-04-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
A long time ago I was working in tech support and if you get non-communicative customers like this: http://www.city-data.com/forum/compu...aking-pdf.html
day in and day out, it can get pretty frustrating.
All jobs can get pretty frustrating at times. We tackle them and move on.

Old 07-04-2016, 04:08 PM

I read an article just recently where the author said most of us are uptight now not because things changed but because things changed too fast. A few blessed with the special talents to grasp the idea took it and ran with it. Good so far. But the many without that special talent were not able to grasp so fast and did not get a chance to go through a normal learning period. The few are trying to move on with the many stumbling along behind. I guess it's a natural tendency to want to lose the stragglers. But the world doesn't work that way. The stragglers have a lot of faith in the successful. If they had not, they'd gladly get lost and move on leaving the successful wondering what happened to their admirers.

I sort of think of it as like teaching my fourth graders how to do long division. The fact that I know how does not mean I should eat the fourth graders alive because the majority of them do not "get it". What I should be thinking is "what am I not explaining right?" Today's children are learning computers from pre-school but we need to remember that their parents or grandparents may not have had that opportunity. Most did not.

When did use of the internet first become very wide-spread? I don't think it was too long ago, was it?

With that spiel I'll stop but let me leave with a hint. I learned this quite accidentally with students and I've never forgotten it. When we start teaching or helping, we need to be sure the learner knows the vocabulary we are using. There is a mound of new vocabulary in the computer age that I still do not know. Example: When I bought my first computer, someone asked "what operating system are you using?" Hun? "Operating system". I knew what I was using. I just didn't know it was called "operating system". We did not have computers when I went to school. I may not know what a .pdf is.

My apologies if I went overboard. I am just saying what someone else said above. there are indeed two sides to the story. Both sides needs to be patient with the other side's frustration. "Patience, little fourth graders. One day the light will suddenly come on and you'll wonder why you thought it impossible."

Old 07-04-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
All jobs can get pretty frustrating at times. We tackle them and move on.
Ummmm no, I disagree. All jobs are not equal and neither are their challenges.

Old 07-04-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post

I sort of think of it as like teaching my fourth graders how to do long division. The fact that I know how does not mean I should eat the fourth graders alive because the majority of them do not "get it". What I should be thinking is "what am I not explaining right?" Today's children are learning computers from pre-school but we need to remember that their parents or grandparents may not have had that opportunity. Most did not.
Do the fourth-graders curse at you and tell you they're paying your salary when you're trying to teach them?
Does your school superintendent tell you you're spending too much time on certain fourth-graders and tell you you only have 15 minutes to make them understand, otherwise, move on to the next fourth-grader?

Old 07-04-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Ummmm no, I disagree. All jobs are not equal and neither are their challenges.
I did not say all jobs are equal nor that their challenges are equal. I said all jobs get frustrating at times. No matter how much you like your chosen profession, there are times when you just want to cash in the chips and take a forty year vacation. "This too shall pass." Who said that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers