U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 07:11 AM

2,709 posts, read 3,001,518 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/04/te...=34771439&_r=0

An article in New York Times says tech support people are difficult on purpose. I know there are tech support people here. Comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 07:23 AM

3,287 posts, read 1,671,646 times
I used to be evil, if that's what you mean. When we installed a new software package I used to get people calling up and asking for help that I knew was in the manual they got with the new package. That's when I would say: "Okay, I'll help you with that, but first we have to find the flaws in the manual, so could you tell me exactly what page you consulted and tell me why it didn't help you? ... Okay, get back to me with that. Thanks."

Old 07-04-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
I used to be evil, if that's what you mean. When we installed a new software package I used to get people calling up and asking for help that I knew was in the manual they got with the new package. That's when I would say: "Okay, I'll help you with that, but first we have to find the flaws in the manual, so could you tell me exactly what page you consulted and tell me why it didn't help you? ... Okay, get back to me with that. Thanks."
I am not going to name company names but that it right close to the answer I got the other day only the one I got simply said "Read the manual". It wasn't even in the manual. A friend then called them for me, convinced them to look and see that it wasn't in the manual. She then got the answer we needed.

Old 07-04-2016, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
I am not going to name company names but that it right close to the answer I got the other day only the one I got simply said "Read the manual". It wasn't even in the manual. A friend then called them for me, convinced them to look and see that it wasn't in the manual. She then got the answer we needed.
That's wrong, I agree. But in this situation we have two groups of people with widely different knowledge bases, so there will be confusion unless all parties are willing to work together.

May I suggest that you be ready to quote chapter and verse in the manual when you call for support. Not only will this improve your credibility but there's a good chance you'll find things in there that you didn't know before.

If all else fails, donuts.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:31 AM

7,234 posts, read 3,966,490 times
I guess I just don't fundamentally understand the mindset of someone who would work in a job that was intentionally rude to customers. Would you be that way in a face to face discussion? I can understand a bunch of bean counting MBAs deciding it was more profitable since they already sold their souls, but this is at the worker level.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
That's wrong, I agree. But in this situation we have two groups of people with widely different knowledge bases, so there will be confusion unless all parties are willing to work together.

May I suggest that you be ready to quote chapter and verse in the manual when you call for support. Not only will this improve your credibility but there's a good chance you'll find things in there that you didn't know before.

If all else fails, donuts.
Good suggestion, Opana, but it was not in the manual that I could find. So I asked her for a page, chapter, verse. She evidently could not give me one. My friend who then called is much more computer savvy than I. She knew what to say. She got a different person than I'd had (going by names given us) and persuaded her person to check the manual. There was then agreement that what we needed definitely is not in the manual. Her support person then gave her the answer. Rather a long answer which explains why tech person wanted us to read the manual

Old 07-04-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I guess I just don't fundamentally understand the mindset of someone who would work in a job that was intentionally rude to customers. Would you be that way in a face to face discussion? I can understand a bunch of bean counting MBAs deciding it was more profitable since they already sold their souls, but this is at the worker level.
Wage slaves come in all varieties. I had a "staff assistant" once who was adept at getting out of work by being rude and unpleasant. I got her transferred to a boss who was worse than she was.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Good suggestion, Opana, but it was not in the manual that I could find. So I asked her for a page, chapter, verse. She evidently could not give me one. My friend who then called is much more computer savvy than I. She knew what to say. She got a different person than I'd had (going by names given us) and persuaded her person to check the manual. There was then agreement that what we needed definitely is not in the manual. Her support person then gave her the answer. Rather a long answer which explains why tech person wanted us to read the manual
I meant that you should point out exactly where the manual fails you. But it sounds like you found an answer that time. Well done.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:48 AM

What tech people sometimes forget is that if there were not those of us who do not know, there would be not jobs for those who do know. I once apologized to a tech person for being such a computer dummy. His answer: "Look, you are paying my wages". Well, technically, no but in the long run ......

Old 07-04-2016, 03:06 PM

4,875 posts, read 2,494,990 times
when i call tech-support, i try to be as scientific as possible. instead of being like: it's not working; fix it.
i say it like: i ran troll-tech.x, the output says pc load letter but i am expecting zarro boogs found.

nfsw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRGljemfwUE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or