U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 04:41 PM

877 posts, read 586,450 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me how can I get even spacing such as below.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 05:44 PM

4,696 posts, read 2,430,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdude949 View Post
Can someone tell me how can I get even spacing such as below.
Hmm, you could do this by setting up a table, so that there would be equal columns and rows...that is how I do it.
The document you show appears to have been set up with two columns and multiple rows.

In the title and first paragraph Senior Network..., this is Row 1: the two columns are merged so that there is one space for the text

Where you have the subtitle Technical...that is Row 2: the two columns are merged again.

Then where you have the two columns where you indicated the spacing with the two arrows, the left (bold) Systems...is Row 3, Column 1. The text to the right of it is in Column 2, same Row 3

Then where it says Software, that is Row 4, column one, the descriptive text is column two.

So basically you:
-set up a table with 2 Columns.
-Return key to add rows ( ex. a row for each thing you will be describing, i.e., Title, Subtitle, Each thing you are describing in the left bold text "Software..." and the description on the right
-Merge columns where you don't need to separate the text Title section
-Keep the two columns where you need to separate text (Where you with marked red arrows)
-Use the mouse by clicking on the column line to size the columns and dragging that column line right or left as you prefer (meaning the left column can be sized narrower than the right side where you write the narrative /descriptive part of your text.
-Finally, go to menu to select 'invisible 'or No Line to get rid of the actual line demarcations of the table.

Hope I have given a simple approach.

Could I ask this? You seem to have some skill in using the word processor since you inserted the red arrows to your illustration (if indeed you did insert them) so maybe you just forgot that you could use tables to get the format you desire???

Last edited by tangelag; 07-05-2016 at 06:17 PM..

Old 07-06-2016, 07:12 AM

2,895 posts, read 1,699,942 times
Yup, table would be the easiest, since you also have control over formatting and spacing for each column.

For reasons I could never understand, all too many Word users never learned to use tables. Some seem to even prefer Excel for table like data!

Old 07-06-2016, 07:33 AM

3,287 posts, read 1,671,646 times
Quote:
-Finally, go to menu to select 'invisible 'or No Line to get rid of the actual line demarcations of the table.
Right click the table.
"Table properties"
"Borders and Shadings"
Click the icon with no borders.

(I have Office 2007. YMMV)

Old 07-06-2016, 08:39 AM

11,814 posts, read 13,951,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
For reasons I could never understand, all too many Word users never learned to use tables. Some seem to even prefer Excel for table like data!
I hate tables in Word. At least as it relates to my field (legal). Someone invariably wants to fill it with 2,056 character or something totally ruining the look.

I would probably use a section break and tab stops to get that look.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:20 AM

2,895 posts, read 1,699,942 times
Tabs won't work unless you manually force each line. You can do it with hanging indents, but you'd better know advanced paragraph formatting pretty well.

I used to do a lot of contract editing. It was so irritating to see manually formatted paragraphs, where all the manual formatting was lost when a line length changed. Grrr. I'd convert it to a table every time. The original author never knew what changed, but found further editing much easier.

The same could be said for paragraph indents. One click does it, not a series of lines with tabs.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:30 AM

Thx I'll try some of the suggestions.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorbee View Post
Please follow these steps:

Open Microsoft Word.
Click the Page Layout tab.
Click the down arrow in the bottom right corner next to Paragraph to bring up the Paragraph window.
In the Paragraph window, make sure you are under the Indents and Spacing tab.
Click the down arrow next to the Line spacing box.
Select Double and click the OK button.
Thank you.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:55 AM

5,721 posts, read 6,912,654 times
I did something similar, but I didn't use tables, I just created text boxes and aligned them on the page.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:59 AM

3,287 posts, read 1,671,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorbee View Post
Please follow these steps:

Open Microsoft Word.
Click the Page Layout tab.
Click the down arrow in the bottom right corner next to Paragraph to bring up the Paragraph window.
In the Paragraph window, make sure you are under the Indents and Spacing tab.
Click the down arrow next to the Line spacing box.
Select Double and click the OK button.
That won't let you do what the OP wants done, however, it will just indent the paragraph after the first line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or