U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-06-2016, 02:24 PM
 
26,158 posts, read 15,788,655 times
Reputation: 17235

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
Thanx for the page.....I wonder if I helped make the stats more accurate when I visited the page? (Win98se/IE6)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-06-2016, 04:15 PM
 
Location: 10110001010110100
6,388 posts, read 10,863,918 times
Reputation: 5589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Thanx for the page.....I wonder if I helped make the stats more accurate when I visited the page? (Win98se/IE6)
Yes, I am sure it does, Dude!
The more times you visit the page, the numbers are likely to change in favor of your system so please do not cheat the stats by multiple visits.





















Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2016, 04:42 PM
 
26,158 posts, read 15,788,655 times
Reputation: 17235
No I wasnt gonna bud,not to worry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2016, 05:42 PM
 
Location: 10110001010110100
6,388 posts, read 10,863,918 times
Reputation: 5589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
No I wasnt gonna bud,not to worry
He...he...I knew you could handle friendly banter!

In your defense though, almost 10% market share for XP is huge, 1/5 of 7 and about the same amount of both versions of Windows 8 combines tells you how popular this "unsupported" OS still is.

How accurate this type of stats is another issue if you consider the dual-boots, pirated copies and multi-user license installation, OEM installs that were upgraded or never used, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2016, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Florida & Cebu, Philippines
2,808 posts, read 2,526,594 times
Reputation: 2877
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Thanks for the info but, no thanks. I have personal info on it that I used for business and need it in case issues pop up again. Is the Philippines behind in the times in comparison to the USA~?
Yes, parts of the Philippines are very far behind and some parts are catching up. I see xp in internet cafes and many locals and expats in the Philippines are still using xp.

I do not blame you for keeping it around, I kept and xp computer around for over 7 years after closing a business, then I finally wipe the hard drive and donated the machine itself to a Philippine charity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2016, 06:35 AM
 
40,488 posts, read 41,955,897 times
Reputation: 16914
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Thanks for the info but, no thanks. I have personal info on it that I used for business and need it in case issues pop up again. Is the Philippines behind in the times in comparison to the USA~?
For computer that old and you want to keep XP backup your personal data and do a clean install of XP. As long as you have the license key which should be on sticker located on the case somewhere you only need the install disc... any install disc. If it's not on the outside look inside.

Immediately run the updates and you'll need to get third party antivirus because MS no longer supports there anti virus for XP. Check device manager after you run the updates to make sure all devices have drivers. You can also check Dell's site to download and install them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2016, 06:44 AM
 
40,488 posts, read 41,955,897 times
Reputation: 16914
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
He...he...I knew you could handle friendly banter!

In your defense though, almost 10% market share for XP is huge, 1/5 of 7 and about the same amount of both versions of Windows 8 combines tells you how popular this "unsupported" OS still is.

How accurate this type of stats is another issue if you consider the dual-boots, pirated copies and multi-user license installation, OEM installs that were upgraded or never used, etc.
The demographics of the people on my web site would be average. They are going to have all kinds of backgrounds , middle aged and middle class. It's also fairly large sample size. It's a lot more than a couple hundred visitors a day.

XP works out to 3.9%, Win 95/98 is 0% and Win 7 is highest with 25%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2016, 06:48 AM
 
Location: Florida & Cebu, Philippines
2,808 posts, read 2,526,594 times
Reputation: 2877
Another idea might be to install windows 7 for netbook, and then if running 7 on your main computer, take the old hard drive out and make it a second drive on your main computer, that way you could still access the files without keeping the old computer around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2016, 10:54 AM
 
15,302 posts, read 20,249,375 times
Reputation: 21773
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
...MS no longer supports there anti virus for XP...

Actually, MS does support XP for government agencies and other large companies that are still using it.

I love, love, love XP. I had an XP computer that I bought in 2005 and, when MS announced that it was discontinuing support, I downloaded a program that made MS think my XP was Win8, so I got all the regular updates for WIn8. Yes, some probably didnt apply to XP but I never had a problem. And my anti-virus also continued to support XP.

I finally broke down and bought a new computer with Win8.1 late last year -- but I kept my XP because it was still working so well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2016, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Derby, CT
3,587 posts, read 2,582,975 times
Reputation: 2944
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Actually, MS does support XP for government agencies and other large companies that are still using it.

I love, love, love XP. I had an XP computer that I bought in 2005 and, when MS announced that it was discontinuing support, I downloaded a program that made MS think my XP was Win8, so I got all the regular updates for WIn8. Yes, some probably didnt apply to XP but I never had a problem. And my anti-virus also continued to support XP.

I finally broke down and bought a new computer with Win8.1 late last year -- but I kept my XP because it was still working so well.
Trash that 8 and go to 10 (while you still can).

Join us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top