U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 06:08 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,740,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Games? Good point.

I beat you by about a decade, going back to mainframe days and card decks. My first real hardware was with a minicomputer that had an IBM 360 assembler code base. So I learned assembler. IO was tricky. It had one channel, used teletypes for output. If you did not reset the channel after output, the system was essentially locked up, and you had to restart. That took about 20 minutes, since there was no boot loader. You needed to enter a 50 command long sequence, using pushbuttons and switches, to activate the boot loader, which loaded the OS, such as it was, from paper tape. Only made that mistake twice....prior to that it was mainframe programming, in the altar of the computer days, where the operators were the temple attendants, the system programmers the high priests, and we coders were supplicants before the god....
I wish I knew more about the IBM side. I've written MASM/C/Fortran/Algol code on UNIVAC 1100's, COBOL and WFL on Burroughs A-series boxes, Fortran on VAXen, and Fortran on CDC Cybers running KRONOS/NOS, but I've only been an end user in TSO. I would love to compare CICS to TIP or HVTIP.

I was also lucky enough to only use cards briefly ... first year in college, we had UNIVAC 1004 card reader/printers and IBM keypunches, and we had to submit a deck to the nice data center lackeys and get the result back the next day. Before the year was done, I discovered that Uniscopes and a nice line editor (@CTS) were a far better approach. And when we got the VAXen a year later, I discovered that EDT on VMS was even better on a VT220 than CTS was on a Uniscope.

I went from punched cards to Macs in the four years I was getting my BSCS. Talk about change.

You sound like the senior UNIVAC guys I used to work with (and work with here now). I'm just after that generation. I appreciate cards, having used them, but I'd much rather not.

25 years writing code on mainframes (UNIVAC/Unisys TIP and HVTIP in my case, mostly) have taught me to appreciate platforms that don't deprecate functionality arbitrarily. Windows isn't quite as good, although I've always been impressed with the number of third-party solutions that are out there to fill in the holes. DOSBox is a prime example. I can play Retrocade to my heart's content. And Commander Keen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 08:07 PM

243 posts, read 125,422 times
Not so long ago, my Windows 7 computers were refusing to check for updates, also to download and install the updates, and I found that temporarily turning off the user account control whipped the problem---it does require restarting the computer before the new setting takes effect, but this approach worked, and the user account control should be returned to default setting once Windows and Office updates have been installed, again requiring a restart.

There have been other instances when I was installing or updating software, and the computer wouldn't budge until the user account control was temporarily turned off.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:19 AM

2,903 posts, read 1,705,039 times
card decks, together with three day turn around at crunch time, taught me to read my code carefully. Of course, that was also a waste of time, since compilers (or interpreters) do it so much better, at least those without cryptic diagnostic codes. CDC had great compilers. IBM not so much.

Knowing assembler really teaches you to understand how the machine actually does things, which is great for program design, even with higher level languages. When you think automatically about registers, channels, storage and such, it helps.

Old 07-16-2016, 02:01 AM

52,155 posts, read 30,219,816 times
I have 2 Win 7 Home Prem. Laptops, and two Win 7 Ultimate desktops, all 64-bit versions, and lately I have noticed that the actual updates have been taking much longer than they ever did. I also have 2 desktop computers, with 8.1 Home and Pro, the updates get done fast on them.

I refuse to update to Win 10 for various reasons, mainly because I will lose the software that I purchased and installed on the Win 7 computers, which may or may not work on 10 if I reinstall it, I'm not willing take chances. Also, if I were to upgrade to 10, I would prefer to do a clean install, not install over the existing Win 7 OS.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:30 AM

In my case, downloading the updates has been taking much longer and I have a feeling Microsoft servers/resources are focused primarily on the users of Windows 7 and 8/8.1, who want to make the transition to 10 faster, so in other words, if you're using Windows 7, they're telling you to take a number and wait in line for a long time to install updates..

Old 07-16-2016, 08:54 AM

2,903 posts, read 1,705,039 times
Mike, what you say does not make much sense, not that that would make it wrong! You can save yourself a lot of download time by downloading the update that runs from a flash drive, not from Win update.

Regarding software, anything that runs under Win 7 should run under Win 10, but just in case, always be ready with backups. I was ready with a whole system recovery, which of course I did not need.

Clean install? only in my dreams. Last time I did that, when I upgraded to Win7, took an entire weekend, between software and updates. Adobe is the worst, since I forgot to de-authorize first, so I had to call and wait a bit.

Old 07-16-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Mike, what you say does not make much sense, not that that would make it wrong! You can save yourself a lot of download time by downloading the update that runs from a flash drive, not from Win update.

Regarding software, anything that runs under Win 7 should run under Win 10, but just in case, always be ready with backups. I was ready with a whole system recovery, which of course I did not need.

Clean install? only in my dreams. Last time I did that, when I upgraded to Win7, took an entire weekend, between software and updates. Adobe is the worst, since I forgot to de-authorize first, so I had to call and wait a bit.
I've never done updates from a flash drive, but I'll have to look into it, thanks.

It's true clean installs do take longer, but I've never experienced the problems you're describing. That's how I upgraded from Windows 7 Home to 8.1 Pro about 2 years ago, and from Vista Home to 7 Ultimate 4 years ago.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:49 PM

102 posts, read 65,543 times
The only Windows Updates I get are from Windows Defender, I stopped trusting Microsoft's sneaky updates after they installed that nagware telling me to install Windows 10.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:09 AM

22,368 posts, read 19,834,180 times
Found this solution, which - hard to believe - actually worked The first patch mentioned was enough to fix Windows update.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...0-7f5096b36d0c

Now I was finally able to patch my computer again, after having turned updates off for almost a year.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:41 PM

966 posts, read 1,218,802 times
I was routed to this site on this forum - fortunately it worked for me too. Just have to mark my calendar to do it monthly (I think MS comes out with updates on the second Tuesday of the month, correct me if I am wrong).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or