U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 05:30 AM

22,368 posts, read 19,829,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by localinsight View Post
I was routed to this site on this forum - fortunately it worked for me too. Just have to mark my calendar to do it monthly (I think MS comes out with updates on the second Tuesday of the month, correct me if I am wrong).
Seems like it, Windows Update informed me this morning (European time) that I had monthly updates of 140 MB waiting for me, yesterday was the second Tuesday of the month...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 05:18 PM

966 posts, read 1,218,375 times
Thanks for that verification.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:48 PM

9,965 posts, read 7,573,557 times
There's two patches that I've had good luck with (Three, actually, but..)

First one to try is this one.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...server-2008-r2

Apply him, reboot, then try Windows update again.. Give it 10 minutes, but that's it.. if it still fails.. Go to these..

Turn off automatic updates, then download and apply

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...server-2008-r2

Then, without rebooting, download and apply

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...er-2008-r2-sp1

Reboot.. Go back to Windows update, and scan again.. Give it 10 minutes, takes longer than that, probably not gonna work.. Assuming it does work, you can turn auto updates back on.

Normally I only have to do the first one, but on occasion I've had to do the second two to get it working.

And this doesn't require you to re-do something every month.

Now.. I will mention. I've heard that Microsoft is 'throttling' the updates. meaning, If you have Win7 and someone with Win10 needs to download updates, they get priority. But that's only on the download. The above fixes the issue where you have svchost pegging out a processor (May show 25% usage if you're a quad-core) and it just sits there Checking for Updates. Has no effect on the actual download speed of the updates.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:09 PM

I tried 4 times over two days to install Win7 updates per instructions on this link:

http://https://answers.microsoft.com...=1477181520617

It is a little older link that the updated one of Dec 4, 2016. I posted the exact places I ran into problems in a different thread (forget the name but it has Win7 Update in the title). I did get KB3172605 in Dec but can't get it now.

I tried the first MS link above, have installed, but I couldn't download the file.
Optimistically, I tried to set Windows Updates to automatically notify me when updates are available but I got the never ending progress bar.

Are you actually getting Win7 Updates for 2017?

Thanks.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:20 AM

I've done my above post on three different machines in the past 2 days. Worked on all.

One was Windows 7 Embedded 32 bit, the other 2 were Professional, one 32-bit the other 64-bit.

The Embedded and first one, I had to apply all three updates.

The last one that I did today the first two patches were already applied, and the third one, once installed, kicked it into working.

One thing I figured out today is that bringing up the task manager and monitoring processes can tell you quite a bit about whether the progress will ever finish.

If you see a svchost maxed out (at 100% or 50% or 25%, pending on the cores in your processor) it's pretty much never going to complete. After applying the above patches, if you start checking for updates, you'll notice that while svchost may jump up to max temporarily, it never hangs there. In its' stead, TIInstaller.exe (I think.. It's TIsomething) which is the Trusted Installer will be the one that uses the most processor.. It may take 5 to 10 minutes the first time you check for updates, but it will complete if you see it using TIInstaller.exe the most.

Now, this is on a system that hasn't had that other trick that you supposedly have to do every month done on it. If that's been done.. I have no idea if my procedure will work or not.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:55 PM

FYI.. I just had my first Win8 doing it..

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=50025

That KB/download seems to have corrected it.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:17 PM

I was so frustrated about MS and Win7 support I talked to a friend and she said she had just downloaded many updates automatically. So, I set my updates back to automatic and got alot.... Very strange.
But I will keep these links handy, not impressed how MS is treating former customers, even if we aren't currently making them any money. We most likely will be in the future.
Thanks for those links.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:08 PM

It's the TIWorker process, BTW. Same deal with Win8 as best I can tell.. Bring up task manager, look at details.. If you see a svchost hanging high.. Probably not going to ever finish.. But you see the TIWorker process jumping all around while you're scanning for updates.. That's a good sign.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:50 PM

39,906 posts, read 57,726,659 times
I am getting notifications about new updates available for my Win 7.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or