U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 08:54 AM

701 posts, read 993,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
In the process of finding out what LINUX is all about.

A few questions.

1 - What is the easiest version of LINUX, to start with ? - I suggest starting with Ubuntu Mate. Several people like Linux Mint. But I have several reasons not to go with Mint (bottom). Or you can try Kubuntu or Zorin or PCLinuxOS, if you want a Linux distro that looks like Windows. If you're artistically inclined (Audio/Video/Photography, etc... then Ubuntu Studio hands down. I just rebuilt two computers for my artist friends yesterday and installed Ubuntu Studio on them.

2 - Where to download from ? - download YUMI first YUMI – Multiboot USB Creator | USB Pen Drive Linux .
Then download the Linux Distros you're interested in and use YUMI to create the multi boot USB stick. Then if you decide which Linux distro you like, installation is a couple of button click away. You'll find it much easier installing Ubuntu Linux than Windows.

3 - If machine is a 32 bit system, is there a specific version of LINUX that is then needed ? Yes, you need to install the 32-bit Linux OS. Even for a 64-bit CPU, I sometimes install a 32-bit version of Linux anyway because there seems to be more drivers for printers and other peripherals at this time.

4 - Planning to load onto USB stick and then use it that way to start learning how to use LINUX. - get the YUMI download first!

What I have found so far on my own.
1 - Several versions available such as :
--- Ubuntu
--- Mint
--- Deepin
- I'd say, keep it simple and stick with Ubuntu distros first. Then as you learn more, explore Fedora, SUSE, and the others. Since your machine runs Win10, it should be able to run (without installing) Ubuntu Mate, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS or my personal favorite, Ubuntu Studio.

2 - Found one source and that one, only gave me :
--- Ubuntu-16-04-desktop-amd64 - This looks like a 64-bit OS version. The 32-bit version would say something like x86. Goes without saying - Be careful where you download it from.

3 - My machine is a 32 bit system. -[I] it would be better if you can post the exact brand and model of your computer.[/i]
--- With the characters of *amd64* in the title,
--- will that download give me a workable version
--- that can be used on my 32 bit system ? - No. You'll need a 32-bit OS version for a 32-bit system.

4 - How do i create a USB version of the download
--- noted above ? (Step by step instructions ?) - See YUMI suggestion above. YUMI – Multiboot USB Creator | USB Pen Drive Linux . Look at the picture - point to your usb stick, then point to the location of the .ISO file. Then create. Alternatively, you can use YUMI to download the appropriate ISO

Thanks to rcsteiner and other Linux users who suggested YUMI years ago.

I would like to thus have a dual boot system, where I can start LINUX from a USB Stick.
Work with and find out how I can then start using it 100%.

Laptop now loaded with Win 10 ...

TIA

IR

If you haven't already done so, search for "Linux" in the computer forum. There are other posts that have more information about Linux.

Regarding why I dropped Linux Mint (after being one of the early adopters years ago) - Mint is pretty good for most people. And I think they're good for the Linux world in that it has kept Ubuntu on its toes and constantly improving. But ...

https://lwn.net/Articles/676664/

Is Linux Mint a crude hack of existing Debian-based distributions? | InfoWorld
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 09:23 AM

5,894 posts, read 4,413,618 times
I always seem to migrate back to Linux Mint. I've tried Ubuntu and I was a big fan of Fedora Core years ago.

It really comes down to how you're going to use it. If you're going to be using it for more advanced stuff, strictly terminal command line stuff, then you'll want to use the flavor that uses the commands you're familiar with. There are commands that are pretty much universal in the Linux world, then there are commands, such as install commands, that are flavor specific. It's all about what you're used to in that respect. In terms of being a GUI user, the basic experience is about the same. You can install software from their app store or package installer application. You can install software from websites such just like you do with Windows or Apple.

The biggest issues would be if you're a gamer, or you're strictly a Microsoft Office user. Everything else, for the most part, is pretty good. Some hardware devices are actually installed a little easier in Linux than with Windows, and some things, such as printers, might be a bit of a learning curve.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:09 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,730,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
In the process of finding out what LINUX is all about.

A few questions.

1 - What is the easiest version of LINUX, to start with ?
2 - Where to download from ?
3 - If machine is a 32 bit system, is there a specific version of LINUX that is then needed ?
4 - Planning to load onto USB stick and then use it that way to start learning how to use LINUX.
Others have answered. I am late to the party, but my own contribution:

1- There are many easy distros, but I would say Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, PCLinuxOS, and Knoppix are all pretty easy to use. There are many others.

2- Each distro has its own web site or sites. If you want to play with a USB drive (not a bad way to do it at all!), you can use this site to grab various LiveCD images (usually ISO images):

https://livecdlist.com/

3 - Most distros will come with a flavor for 32-bit and 64-bit. A 32-bit OS will run on a 64-bit machine, also.

4 - I highly recommend a little Windows program called YUMI for creating multi-boot USB sticks from Windows. It will install GRUB (a boot menu and OS selection system) on the stick, and you can also download various ISO images directly from inside YUMI:

YUMI – Multiboot USB Creator | USB Pen Drive Linux

Old 07-12-2016, 12:10 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,670,650 times
I run Ubuntu, installed alongside Windows 7, on a couple of desktops.

I think Bayesian and others have pretty much covered the questions from a Ubuntu side of things.

I first installed Ubuntu on a flash drive. I booted from the flash drive (called live mode) and became familiar with Ubuntu before choosing the install option to install permanently on the hdd. When I was ready to install, it went surprisingly fast, about 25 minutes. Before installing, I looked at a youtube video to see how to create a separate partition for Ubuntu which is necessary if installing side-by-side with another OS like Windows.

The Ubuntu forums (New to Ubuntu) is great for any specific questions or issues you might have. My machines are 32 bit so I have to make sure that's what I download.

I've created a few other Live versions of a couple of other distros ( like Mint, etc.) on a USB drive just to check them out. I've booted from the usb drive on those, but I haven't installed any of them yet. At this point everything is running smooth for me with Ubuntu.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:25 AM

5,370 posts, read 11,272,073 times
A great *Thank You* to all those who helped me, to get in some *direction*.
I will definitively use *Yumi* to make the *stick version* and then go from there.
I am actually not *dissatisfied* with any Windows OS, but like to explore other ways *to get things done*.

In my circle of friends, I am known as a computer guru (yeah right ...), yet I do not know anymore than cleaning a computer from any virus program, or reloading the whole catastrophe from scratch.
I am actually perplexed how many people know close to zilch about how their computer works ...

Thanks again !

Old 07-13-2016, 10:31 AM

10,424 posts, read 8,949,064 times
LUBUNTU lubuntu | lightweight, fast, easier Worked well for me in an older laptop where other distributions did not.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:12 AM

Another Linux favorite of mine is Parted Magic. You'll have to pay for the latest version but older versions are still free. https://partedmagic.com/

Old 07-15-2016, 08:55 AM

I revisited another FOSS OS - ReactOS last night. This is NOT a Linux Distro.
Rather, it's a clone of the Windows 2000/XP operating system. The idea being, if they can clone that, then some Windows software (i.e. Office) can be installed and run on ReactOS. It was not good enough last year.
Last night, it seemed much improved. I was able to install MS Office 2007 (the only disk I had at home). I think? Not sure yet, as I didn't have time to test more thoroughly. The ReactOS itself ran smoothly and snappy, on an old Dell Optiplex GX520 Pentium 4, I think.

Just thought I'd mention this ReactOS too, even if it's not Linux. But its also FOSS.

Old 07-16-2016, 09:34 AM

52,145 posts, read 30,209,677 times
I have 2 Linux systems, Redhat and Ubuntu 14.0.x. The Ubuntu laptop is an HP and it has the 64-bit hardware/architecture, and it originally had Windows 8. I like Linux, but I'm not too impressed with Ubuntu because of the few oddities that it has.

The Redhat Enterprise desktop computer is a Pentium 3 (yes it's still working ) that originally had XP, it's a 32-bit architecture. I like Redhat, which I originally purchased and installed in 2004. The newer versions of Redhat are pricey and from what I've seen on Redhat's website, they are only available through annual subscriptions that start at around $400 per socket, you can't buy any versions outright, which in my opinion is stupid, they're not going to win any customers that way. The version of Redhat I have is 2.4.21, with all the revisions, and I use it mainly for development of applications.

Old 07-16-2016, 10:04 AM

4,875 posts, read 2,494,990 times
^ my corperation has red-hat vm's. but i guess its possible to install for personal use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers