U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 08:07 AM

15,242 posts, read 20,192,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
...Best Buys...Geek Squad that does repairs and fixes on your items. They can and have helped me without leaving my item because it wasn't too major. Try them.

The problem with Best Buy computer repair service is just like that of Home Depot/Lowes/etc. It all depends on how good the repair person is. I had a computer problem and Best Buy sent out a girl who, after 6 hours, had my computer so screwed up that she couldnt even get it back to the problem-state it was in before she arrived at my house. I had to call a real professional and pay him a lot more than I would have if I hadnt called Best Buy.

Based on 849 reviews, Best Buy Geek Squad has 1 star out of 5 on the consumeraffairs.com website:

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/reta...eek_squad.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 09:58 AM

10,959 posts, read 15,251,448 times
We always go to CNET before we get a program. They are a trusted site and we can see reviews of the program by their staff and by users.
We have used Hippo as well.

Call your ISP as they might remotely offer you a free anti-virus program. Ours gives us Trend Micro.
We used AVG before that.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:00 AM

2,391 posts, read 4,122,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
The problem with Best Buy computer repair service is just like that of Home Depot/Lowes/etc. It all depends on how good the repair person is. I had a computer problem and Best Buy sent out a girl who, after 6 hours, had my computer so screwed up that she couldnt even get it back to the problem-state it was in before she arrived at my house. I had to call a real professional and pay him a lot more than I would have if I hadnt called Best Buy.

Based on 849 reviews, Best Buy Geek Squad has 1 star out of 5 on the consumeraffairs.com website:

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/reta...eek_squad.html

I had someone who did home visits and he screwed a whole lot of stuff up for me and why I switched to "The Geek Squad". I've known the guy since my teen years and he's had his home biz for many of years. And I've had good luck with "The Geek Squad" in the store more than on the phone. Some of those people on the phone don't know squat but others are highly knowledgeable.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:00 AM

8 posts, read 3,548 times
I honestly don't use anything other than Windows Defender and never had problems thus far. However, I did try Kaspersky's Total Security and wasn't very impressed, other than the fact that it looks aesthetically pleasing and includes a bunch of tools I normally never use (and can do myself), such as removing temp files.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:24 PM

1,080 posts, read 830,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
A virus protection may not be the issue of your friend's PC. It could be other stuff and needs cleaning up (or things on there that need deleting). Going to a place that services PCs is the best idea you mentioned. If there is going to be an HUGE amount to repair, it is best in my opinion to buy another one. This happened to me many, many years ago. The initial cost was okay but expensive but after they told me what they had to do and the cost I said, "forget it" and got another new PC.
i had a pc shop wanting to reinstal win 8 on my pc and when they told me it would be $150.00 i told em to kiss my and said i have the reinstall disc at home and a 2 year old can do it.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:11 PM

509 posts, read 442,532 times
question about nod32's 32bit version, heard that it's ok to use the 32bit version on window 7 64bit version, is that right? if so I don't need to purchased nod32 64bit version and will just keep using the 32 bit version.

Old 10-28-2016, 02:15 PM

1,266 posts, read 783,028 times
You might try installing a Linux operating system. There are several out there that are very easy for a non-tech user to use. That would eliminate your virus problem (for the most part, antivirus apps are not necessary on a Linux machine). Try Linux Mint, or even better...Linux Zorin. Both good for beginners or persons wanting to switch from Windows to Linux. I'm a 70 year old lady and I've been using Linux for many years. It's not as hard to learn or install as some people like to think. Oh yeah, and it's open source, meaning free. Linux is pretty immune to virus infiltration so you don't have to use an anti-virus installation if you don't want to. Like I said, I've been using one or another Linux distribution for over 15 years, and in all that time, I've never gotten a virus.

Just a thought. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Old 10-29-2016, 03:17 AM

509 posts, read 442,532 times
hey thanks so much for that, an IT friend once told me to try linux, said it's pretty good but I have yet to try. thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or