Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 11:36 AM

936 posts, read 2,079,514 times

Advertisements

The problem is that it works perfectly sometimes but about 90% of the times the laptop doesn't recognize that the HDTV is connected via HDMI cable. I tried everything. Connecting the TV to the laptop before turning it on, after turning it on. Turning the TV on and off but nothing works. Sometimes it just works. What can I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 02:00 PM

16,541 posts, read 19,668,514 times
Might be a bad cable. HDMI port could be wearing out on your laptop.

Old 10-18-2016, 06:04 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,710,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybirdie View Post
The problem is that it works perfectly sometimes but about 90% of the times the laptop doesn't recognize that the HDTV is connected via HDMI cable. I tried everything. Connecting the TV to the laptop before turning it on, after turning it on. Turning the TV on and off but nothing works. Sometimes it just works. What can I do?
What model laptop?

I've had a similar problem with 2 different brand new Lenovos. Neither would work with my external monitor when connected via HDMI. But the second laptop, which I decided to stick with, also has a VGA output and it works perfectly with that.

Like you, I tried everything and still don't know why HDMI wouldn't work. In my case, though, the monitor was recognized but no picture displayed. Just a black screen with a vague gray flicker. VGA works fine, though.

Old 10-18-2016, 06:13 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,576,552 times
Your PC graphics card supports several output resolutions. You need to make sure the chosen resolution on both the TV and the laptop match

so something like 1920x1080 should be the same on both. Check both and if needed update your drivers.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:20 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,499,441 times
better video systems auto detect. For instance, HDMI will always be 1920x1080 (no 4K yet in a laptop), and it's easy for a computer to detect an HDMI connection.

So, it could be a driver issue, a bad cable (unlikely) or a video setting issue. Finally, some laptops need to be manually set for external output. Read your manual? (or google)

Old 10-18-2016, 11:05 PM

936 posts, read 2,079,514 times
I have a Lenovo ThinkPad P50. I have used two different HDMI Cables but the same result. Since my HDTV doesn't have a VGA output, I have to use HDMI. I will try to search on how to change the output.

Old 10-19-2016, 01:21 AM

Quote:
I have a Lenovo ThinkPad P50. I have used two different HDMI Cables but the same result. Since my HDTV doesn't have a VGA output, I have to use HDMI. I will try to search on how to change the output.
Interesting that it is also a Lenovo.

A few weeks ago when I was troubleshooting mine, I did some Google searches and found countless other similar stories out there from other users experiencing the same problem with their Ideapads. Similarly, a search on the Thinkpad P50 yields many more. Example....

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPa...g/td-p/2264525

It would seem that Lenovo has a problem in this area with multiple products. After my experience with the first one I bought, I made sure the second had a VGA output....and thus I have a solution. If you've had yours too long to return, I guess you may be stuck with the built-in display only for now.

I wish I could help more - I know it's very frustrating. I'm going to do some more investigating and I'll let you know if I come up with anything that might help.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:22 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,668,514 times
It could still be the port. I used to have to give mine a gentle wiggle for it to switch to TV. I knew the port was getting wonky so I was very careful. The fact that it is intermittent makes me think it is the port and not a simple matter of switching outputs.

Old 10-19-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Guess what? I'm now typing while watching my HDMI connected monitor and damn! - it looks so good!!

As promised, I investigated further and found much more, including this....

Laptop to TV via HDMI: not working? [Solved]

I scrolled down, looking for any idea that looked helpful and logical against what I already knew and have tried. I stopped when I got to this suggestion....
Quote:
Enter the BIOS of the notebook with the tv and the hdmi cable connected properly. The BIOS will recognize the hdmi connected and enable the HDMI output.
Well, I had been into the bios before, but I couldn't remember for sure whether I had the monitor connected with HDMI at the time. I thought - this is worth a try.

OK, so I shut my machine down, re-connected the monitor with HDMI instead of VGA, then went into the bios. I'll walk you through that process if you don't know how to do that.

OK, so I started looking through the bios options - looking for anything that might be related to the HDMI function. There was no "HDMI enable" or anything close, but there WAS one option that got my attention and that is "FAST BOOT" enable or disable. In my machine, it was enabled by default. I looked on the right side column for descriptive detail on the 2 options and - sure enough, it said enabling meant internal display only. That was it! I knew then that I had found the answer.

So......I set FAST BOOT to disable, exited and re-started, went into display settings and changed it from single to "duplicate displays" mode and there it was. My HDMI connected 22" Samsung came to life in glorious color looking better than ever.

Now - wouldn't you think Lenovo's tech support would have and should have known this? I had several lengthy conversations with them that accomplished nothing.

So try disabling FAST BOOT. Hope it works for you like it did for me....good luck!

Edit: I looked at the manual for your machine and see that your bios access and options are very different from mine on my Ideapad. So, here's the link to your manual and if you start reading at page 69, you will see info on your bios options. You will want to go to the DISPLAY section.
https://shop.evry.com/pdf/40DE1562-D...7A49A69FA0.pdf

Last edited by CrownVic95; 10-19-2016 at 02:38 PM..

Old 10-19-2016, 03:57 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,499,441 times
How strange that fast boot would do that. Poor system design, if you ask me. No one should need to go into the bios for something so basic.

Glad you solved it, though. Victory dance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers