U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 08:00 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,125,589 times

Advertisements

I had issues with a desktop PC a few years back and had it worked on and fixed. Long story short, I never was able to figure out how to plug what where to get it online. Does any Geek out there that could assist me with a website for some help~?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 08:03 PM

6,488 posts, read 7,114,183 times
You just need to connect it to your router and enter your network password.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:12 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,125,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
You just need to connect it to your router and enter your network password.

Nope that is not the issues I am talking about. I have tons of wires to this HUGE desktop that plug into the back of the desktop and to the tower. I just have the wrong one plugged in the wrong spots when I tried a long time ago.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:23 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,795,453 times
Your problem description is very vague ... "wrong one plugged into the wrong spot" ??
Instead of having people guess at fixes, describe what is it you are trying to do (unplug a desktop PC and move it to another place, connect a laptop to the internet, etc) . Post pics if it's a cabling issue.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:36 PM

40,012 posts, read 57,873,960 times
How old is your desktop? Will this help?

Spoiler

MESH Computers QC Report
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 07-10-2016 at 11:41 PM..

Old 07-10-2016, 03:55 PM

968 posts, read 1,220,251 times
Can you connect anything incorrectly? When I had my desktop you couldn't. But I had a really simple set up.

Old 07-10-2016, 03:59 PM

28,651 posts, read 40,644,886 times
Cat5 might be plugged into the modem port.

Old 07-10-2016, 05:18 PM

5,430 posts, read 8,804,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Cat5 might be plugged into the modem port.
If you mean a Cat 5 Ethernet "RJ-45" cable with 8 pin plug, it won't (easily) fit into a 6 pin RJ-11 analog modem socket.

Old 07-10-2016, 06:30 PM

40,012 posts, read 57,873,960 times
Yeah, each plug is a little different, so it's hard to make mistake. Most manuals are still online...
And there are pictorial guides, and youtube...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-11-2016, 05:46 AM

40,359 posts, read 41,880,033 times
Look on the back of your router or modem. If it's modem there should be five ports that are all the same that look like oversized telephone connectors, one is going to be labeled internet and that is conected to the modem. If it's just modem there will only be one. The wire is going to look like oversized phone wire with same type of connector you would see on phone wire except it's little bigger, on the the computer will be same port you plug the oversized phone wire into.

If you have already done this and have no internet post the OS and version you are using.

Setting aside audio/mic jacks which should be easy to identify, USB into ehternet port is the only I'm aware of that might easily go into wrong port. The ethernet port is larger and squareish so this is not an easy mistake to make. One thing to be aware of is you might have two places the same plug can go, for example you might have two or more connectors for video. Most motherboards come with onboard video and if you have a video card that will also have one and you want to connect it to that instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers