U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 07:18 PM

2,900 posts, read 1,702,654 times

Advertisements

tillman10, you have some degree of control over what happens with an update in that you can schedule a specific time for the update, delay the update and theoretically have it notify you when an update is ready, although the notice is less than obvious, showing up when you click the windows icon.

All in all, once I tweaked settings in control panel, I've found it pretty unobtrusive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 01:08 PM

5,653 posts, read 13,527,078 times
FWIW, the update that came today for the Windows 7 on my PC was not an update. It downloads and installs Windows 10 regardless if you want it or not. Make sure to check each and every windows update as to what it is before telling Windows to update. And if you have automatic updates, either change it to manual updates or be ready to use Windows 10. Windows 10 does not work for me or the industry as we exchange a lot of media. Media Center is not part of Windows 10 and I'm not paying to buy it from Microsoft when I already have it. I don't need to furnish Microsoft with all of my actions on the internet either. Linux is looking better all the time. Now how to get Linux to configure a media center that doesn't require a degree in computer technology....

Old 07-20-2016, 01:13 PM

10,753 posts, read 18,007,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
FWIW, the update that came today for the Windows 7 on my PC was not an update. It downloads and installs Windows 10 regardless if you want it or not. Make sure to check each and every windows update as to what it is before telling Windows to update. And if you have automatic updates, either change it to manual updates or be ready to use Windows 10.
Or you could just use GWX Control Panel which has been mentioned on here probably more times than I can count, and not worry about getting the Windows 10 upgrade.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:07 PM

4,951 posts, read 6,518,262 times
Okay, be gentle here, I'm totally electronically challenged.

I don't really want the Windows 10 Upgrade, but after reading a lot about getting it and being able to actually upgrade later, I thought I'd give the "easy way" a try. I have the pop-up that has the upgrade, so went to download it. I got the following error: WindowsUpdate_80070002" "WindowsUpdate_dt000" and it said it couldn't be downloaded and that 1 update failed.

So at this point, I'm clueless on why it doesn't download and what the issue is. How do you get the download if you can't figure out what the problem is? When I click on Windows help with this error, other numbers come up, but not this number.

Was hoping this would be easy, but it doesn't seem to be.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:32 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,774,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Okay, be gentle here, I'm totally electronically challenged.

I don't really want the Windows 10 Upgrade, but after reading a lot about getting it and being able to actually upgrade later, I thought I'd give the "easy way" a try. I have the pop-up that has the upgrade, so went to download it. I got the following error: WindowsUpdate_80070002" "WindowsUpdate_dt000" and it said it couldn't be downloaded and that 1 update failed.

So at this point, I'm clueless on why it doesn't download and what the issue is. How do you get the download if you can't figure out what the problem is? When I click on Windows help with this error, other numbers come up, but not this number.

Was hoping this would be easy, but it doesn't seem to be.
I've just done two upgrades last week from Windows 7 and ran into Windows Update errors and spent way too much time trying to fix them so forget all that.
What I found to work the best (and quickest) was to not use WindowsUpdate service and to upgrade via USB.

- Download the MS media creation tool onto a USB (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...oad/windows10/)
- Stop WindowsUpdate (bring up services.msc, locate WindowsUpdate and Stop it)
- Run the media creation tool setup on the USB
- Choose to install other patches/updates later

Old 07-20-2016, 02:41 PM

10,753 posts, read 18,007,151 times
You can actually upgrade directly using the media creation tool, no need to make a USB installer if you don't want it.

Old 07-20-2016, 03:10 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,844,485 times
For those who do end up getting Windows 10 but worried about MS spying, take a look at
this.

Old 07-20-2016, 03:41 PM

5,374 posts, read 11,280,182 times
If one decides to upGrade, not upDATE, make sure when you do it, that you make a back up copy of at least all your sensitive *can not afford to loose* documents and pics.

Not everybody is hooked up via a UPS ...

On one upgrade we recently did, (we did make the backup first), the power cycled off (neighbourhood power-off for about 10 minutes ...) and it caused a weird anomaly in the computer.

All of a sudden the whatever boot-sector, apparently disappeared from the hard drive.
There was nothing we could do but completely reformat the drive, load the old OS on it again and then did another upgrade, but this time had the machine hooked up via a UPS.
After that came all the work of reloading all the programmes again. A real PITB that was !!

However,
Even with many of the negative comments about Win 10 being a *Spybot Supreme*, there are ways to limit, not eliminate, most of the reporting back to Microsoft whatever you are doing.
*Spying* on whatever electronic device you are using is rampant on a lot of stuff you have in your possession right now. You can not do much about it ! So you might as well get used to it !

I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon, so I *shop* a lot before I buy whatever ...
On my browser, I then get *suggestions* of whatever I was looking at on the Amazon website, as small advertisements on the right side of my browser window. The dumbest thing is that they show the same things I looked at before ... Now why would that help me ?? Go figure ... duuuuhhhh ...

Last edited by irman; 07-20-2016 at 03:55 PM..

Old 07-20-2016, 04:20 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,774,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
You can actually upgrade directly using the media creation tool, no need to make a USB installer if you don't want it.
Tried that too and it hung up on me.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:07 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,544,082 times
I've deleted all GWX but twice they tried to sneak in GB3035583 as an windows update. I've hidden it 3 times. BUT THEY TRIED GETTING IT IN AGAIN TODAY. Again, I clicked 'hide'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers