U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 06:29 AM

5,374 posts, read 11,287,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
What I found to work the best (and quickest) was to not use WindowsUpdate service and to upgrade via USB.

- Download the MS media creation tool onto a USB (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...oad/windows10/)
- Stop WindowsUpdate (bring up services.msc, locate WindowsUpdate and Stop it)
- Run the media creation tool setup on the USB
- Choose to install other patches/updates later
I am not sure if this would allow you to get the *upgrade* for free later.
Apparently the way it is *free*, is to do the upgrading process, before the due date, AND the machine should have a legitimate copy of Windows on it (Certain versions are NOT eligible for an upgrade!)
If you thus *only* make the the USB stick contain the *full Operating System* of Win10, and then *past* the due date install, I doubt if you then get that Digital OK, from Microsoft, to use it.

How to *reserve* your *free copy*, is described here.
How to reserve your free upgrade to Windows 10 - Microsoft Community

As I understand, once reserved, you can then install later, but only on the machine the reservation was made on !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 01:30 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,786,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
I am not sure if this would allow you to get the *upgrade* for free later.
Apparently the way it is *free*, is to do the upgrading process, before the due date, AND the machine should have a legitimate copy of Windows on it (Certain versions are NOT eligible for an upgrade!)
If you thus *only* make the the USB stick contain the *full Operating System* of Win10, and then *past* the due date install, I doubt if you then get that Digital OK, from Microsoft, to use it.

How to *reserve* your *free copy*, is described here.
How to reserve your free upgrade to Windows 10 - Microsoft Community

As I understand, once reserved, you can then install later, but only on the machine the reservation was made on !
I'm only talking about putting the upgrade "tool" on the USB as specified in the MS kb, not putting the Windows 10 ISO on the USB stick.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:36 PM

39,967 posts, read 57,815,785 times
I think everything in regard to the upgrade should be installed on the eligible computer.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I'm only talking about putting the upgrade "tool" on the USB as specified in the MS kb, not putting the Windows 10 ISO on the USB stick.
And I am not talking to put the *whole* Win 10 ISO on a stick either.

Do I then understand that you can make the installation USB stick, and that is then done on a specific computer, where you then *later* can install it on ?

Btw, I do have all the complete Win 10 ISO on USB sticks, but they then need to be activated with a purchased license, when installed on any PC, AFTER the past due date.

Before the past due date, I use these sticks to do the *upgrade*.
So far, I have done 9 of them (friends), with only one having a huge problem, because the power went out during the installation.

I guess, what I am trying to say, is that you should reserve a copy, and then install later, maybe way later ?

- Reserve FREE upgrade to Windows 10 now. It will download* once available, and you can cancel your reservation at any time.
- You'll get a notification after Windows 10 is downloaded to your device. Install it right away or pick a time that's good for you.
- After it's installed, Windows 10 is all yours.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:23 PM

2,295 posts, read 1,806,660 times
The roll-back is not failure free. Not sure I would chance my data on that.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:33 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,849,507 times
You are not really "reserving" anything to clarify, Mikrosoft is letting those with valid Windows 7 and 8 license to upgrade to Windows 10 for no additional charge but what happens is the Windows 7/8 key gets tied to a Windows 10 key based on the unique (hidden) hardware identifier which means you can upgrade or change most components without -presumably- triggering a re-activation.
MS will see a different motherboard as a different system and you are not allowed to use a key that was previously tied to another motherboard even if everything else is the same.

After the allowed roll-back date, the original Windows 7/8 key is permanently tied to Windows 10 and no way to revert back. If you end up re-installing Windows 7 or 8 after the allowed roll-back time, you can no longer use the original key as it is now only valid for a Windows 10 installation. You will have to purchase a separate key.

At least, this is the case to my best knowledge and understanding.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
YAfter the allowed roll-back date, the original Windows 7/8 key is permanently tied to Windows 10 and no way to revert back. If you end up re-installing Windows 7 or 8 after the allowed roll-back time, you can no longer use the original key as it is now only valid for a Windows 10 installation. You will have to purchase a separate key.
Somewhere in the FAQ sections of Microsoft, I think I saw a note somewhere that you then could get on the phone with them .
If you then can *re* activate, who knows ...
Kind of sad to have to buy a new key when your Motherboard goes south !

I remember doing an XP installation on a crashed system where we installed a new Motherboard.
We had to get on the phone, then you read a series of characters to them and they come back with a new series of characters which you then have to use.

On all the systems where I upgraded, I have on record the digital Activation on each machine., besides the original Win7 keys.
I have a proggie does find all keys to all programmes installed on the machine. I print that, and glue it to the inside of the side panel of the case and also record on the back-up/recovery disk

Old 07-25-2016, 12:47 PM

10,755 posts, read 18,017,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
After the allowed roll-back date, the original Windows 7/8 key is permanently tied to Windows 10 and no way to revert back. If you end up re-installing Windows 7 or 8 after the allowed roll-back time, you can no longer use the original key as it is now only valid for a Windows 10 installation. You will have to purchase a separate key.

At least, this is the case to my best knowledge and understanding.
This is not at all the case. You can revert to using Windows 7 when ever you want, using the original product key. Windows upgrades have always worked this way, you can use the upgrade license or the original, just not both at once.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:42 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,849,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
This is not at all the case. You can revert to using Windows 7 when ever you want, using the original product key. Windows upgrades have always worked this way, you can use the upgrade license or the original, just not both at once.
I stand corrected.

You are correct, MS allows you to downgrade using the original key even after the first 30 days but that would mean a fresh install of the previous version of Windows. That is, essentially what I was referring to.
The "reverting back to old Windows" is no longer possible since 30 days after the upgrade the Windows.Old folder gets deleted making it impossible to downgrade from within Windows.

I also wanted to clarify that OEM licenses are always tied to a specific machine which is why they are less expensive than a retail license which would allow you to install a single instance of Windows on any given single machine.

But regardless of the license type, MS allows you to upgrade to Windows 10 for free and creates a perpetual license based on the originating license. So, in essence, the same key is good for two versions of Windows just as long as you only have it install on one single machine and in the case of OEM licenses, you have to install it on the same hardware, not allowing the user to -legally- bounce the license from machine to machine regardless of the version of Windows installed.

In short, it does make sense to upgrade, provided your machine is supported, then downgrade the previous version so you have a perpetual Windows 10 key also for the same hardware. Later on, if you decide to or have to upgrade, you won't have to pay to upgrade for that machine.

I am thinking about upgrading my laptop at the very least and then decide what to do. I will create a .vhd image of existing Windows 7 Pro on the laptop first then upgrade to Windows 10 and keep the Windows 7 VHD image as a backup, just in case.

I would advise people to invest their time in creating an image of their system as is before the upgrade and keep it on an external media.

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 07-25-2016 at 04:45 PM..

Old 07-25-2016, 04:29 PM

4,951 posts, read 6,523,352 times
Seems all too confusing. I envy those who understand all this. I tried to do the Windows 10 and still get this WindowsUpdate_80070002" "WindowsUpdate_dt000 error.

I'm thinking this is a sign from the clouds above that I shouldn't have Windows 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers