U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 05:13 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,847,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Seems all too confusing. I envy those who understand all this. I tried to do the Windows 10 and still get this WindowsUpdate_80070002" "WindowsUpdate_dt000 error.

I'm thinking this is a sign from the clouds above that I shouldn't have Windows 10.
Eldemila, have you tried what Jaypee suggested? It sounded like a relatively easy thing to try.
The link also has all the info you need though I am not sure how big the USB flash drive needs to be but the media creation tool is very small (about 18 MB -Mega Bytes) and most any flash drive you can find these days should be more than enough.

IF you are stuck or confused about something, provide details so Jaypee (or someone familiar with the process) can provide assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 05:16 PM

568 posts, read 836,733 times
Quote:
Okay, be gentle here, I'm totally electronically challenged.

I don't really want the Windows 10 Upgrade, but after reading a lot about getting it and being able to actually upgrade later, I thought I'd give the "easy way" a try. I have the pop-up that has the upgrade, so went to download it. I got the following error: WindowsUpdate_80070002" "WindowsUpdate_dt000" and it said it couldn't be downloaded and that 1 update failed.

So at this point, I'm clueless on why it doesn't download and what the issue is. How do you get the download if you can't figure out what the problem is? When I click on Windows help with this error, other numbers come up, but not this number.

Was hoping this would be easy, but it doesn't seem to be.
Be thankful it didnt load! My computer and also my sisters downloaded this crap and it has taken forever to get my computer to work right again. My sister is still trying to restore hers. Absolute nightmare!!!!!!!!

Old 07-25-2016, 05:24 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,782,076 times
Quote:
Seems all too confusing. I envy those who understand all this. I tried to do the Windows 10 and still get this WindowsUpdate_80070002" "WindowsUpdate_dt000 error.

I'm thinking this is a sign from the clouds above that I shouldn't have Windows 10.
Again, I ran into the same exact error and it only went away when I run the upgrade off the USB (8GB will suffice), killing the Windows Update process before I upgrade, and choosing the option to "download patches later" (or something to that effect): http://www.city-data.com/forum/44829334-post25.html

PM me if you need help.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:29 PM

10,755 posts, read 18,013,891 times
Quote:
Seems all too confusing. I envy those who understand all this.
Don't, trying to keep up with all of Microsoft's ever changing licensing terms is a nightmare.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:14 PM

3,287 posts, read 1,673,757 times
New in-the-box Windows 7 is $139.99 at Best Buy.com.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:55 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,782,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
New in-the-box Windows 7 is $139.99 at Best Buy.com.
The gist of the thread is about the free Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 or 8.
Why would they want to purchase another Windows 7 license if they already have one?

Old 07-27-2016, 12:22 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,847,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Again, I ran into the same exact error and it only went away when I run the upgrade off the USB (8GB will suffice), killing the Windows Update process before I upgrade, and choosing the option to "download patches later" (or something to that effect): http://www.city-data.com/forum/44829334-post25.html

PM me if you need help.
x2

We have been successfully upgrading Windows 7/8 systems to 10 by running the setup file from within a new folder we created directly on the C drive. On some of the system, we got the error:
"0x80070570 - 0x2000C" Stating it ran into problem with the SAFE_OS PHASE, APPLY_IMAGE Operation process.

So, I went ahead and run the Media Creation Tool. You'll need Internet connection because it essentially downloads the latest ISO image and then on-the-fly, extracts the installation files from the iso at the location you are running the application from. This method has worked for us as well.

So, place the tool on the flash drive and make sure it is at least 8GB. When you run the Media Creation tool, it will format the flash drive (FAT32 to make it more compatible as a bootable media) during the process so it will wipe out any other data you might have on it!

The latest ISO images actually allow you to do a fresh Windows 10 install if you so choose it. So use the Media Creation Tool, prep a suitable USB Flash Drive, then boot to it (make sure BIOS Boot Sequence is looking at USB device before Hard Drive), install Windows 10 as a clean install (not upgrade) then once completed, use your Windows 7/8 key to activated it. Of course you will lose all your personal data or installed applications if you do a fresh install of Windows 10 but for new machines or for machines where everything else failed, this is an option. Just make sure to back up your files beforehand.

You will end up with seeing what the attached screenshot displays. Run the setup.exe there and follow the instructions on screen. I'd strongly recommend NOT using the Express Settings and instead click on the "hard to see" link on the left bottom side that reads "Customize settings" and make the changes you want.
Attached Thumbnails
Last day of free Windows 10 - July 29-media-creation-tool-flash-drive.png  

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 07-27-2016 at 12:36 PM..

Old 07-27-2016, 03:22 PM

2,904 posts, read 1,706,048 times
+3 jaypee +1 Turco.

Great advice!

With Win10 on three machines, one heavy duty desktop, one convertible with touch, and one old notebook, I must say that when you want to, it can run just like Win7. But to my surprise, the device I use the most, and like the best, is my convertible, a Surface pro 3. I am really surprised at how often I alternate between touch and mouse.

Yet on my desktop, I configured so that I never see the Win10 stuff. Same old control panel and so forth.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:42 PM

3,287 posts, read 1,673,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
The gist of the thread is about the free Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 or 8.
Why would they want to purchase another Windows 7 license if they already have one?
Some people will want to go the other way. I've considered it for my new ASUS laptop.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:53 PM

10,755 posts, read 18,013,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Some people will want to go the other way. I've considered it for my new ASUS laptop.
What other way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers