U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 02:54 PM

548 posts, read 1,066,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I think we can go Off Topic now. This question has been answered. A few times.
The only thing left is for OP to report back if he/she got his/her file back.
Reporting back: - - As I said in my original post, I could not check my recycle bin becuase I had already emptied it when I realized I must have deleted the File Folder by mistake. That is why I posted my question for help.

The update is: ... as per the advise from "thecoalman" in post #7, _ _ I downloaded "Recuva - Portable" from another computer, unzipped it to a USB Stick, then plugged the Stick into the computer with the lost files and double clicked the .exe file.
It searched for a long, long time (like over an hour) and then there was a list of files which was a never ending list. Files that were dated as far back as 2008.
I did not see a way that I could fast forward to go to the week of July 15 2016, which is all I wanted. And trying to scroll through all the files was very tiring and time consuming. After over an hour of scrolling and scrolling, I gave up and stopped.
So bottom line is.... No,.. unfortunately, I did not get my file back!
Are there any suggestions for a way a spicific file search can be done?
I really appreciate all the input so far. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 03:20 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,786,285 times
https://forum.piriform.com/index.php...te#entry251738

Are you telling Recuva to look only in Recycle?

Old 07-24-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
https://forum.piriform.com/index.php...te#entry251738

Are you telling Recuva to look only in Recycle?
I do not see a place to tell Recuva to look only in Recycle?
First of all, when I put the USB stick in my computer with the folder of the Recuva files, there are (2) files with the .exe extension.
One is named recuva.exe and the other is recuva64.exe.
Which one is the right one to click?
Anyway,....... either one I click on gives the same pop-up wndow that states: "Do you want the following program to make changes to this computer?
It also says: File origin: Removable media on this computer.
I also looked at the link you provided where it explains "how to Click a switch to advanced mode box" and I do not see that anywhere ???

Old 07-25-2016, 01:30 PM

28,648 posts, read 40,627,244 times
64 is for 64 bit OS. Not to be run on a 32 bit OS.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:30 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,849,507 times
Take a look at the screenshot in the attachment of this post.
If you can see both icons for both versions, that would mean your system is 64-bit.
If it was 32-bit, you would only see the program icon for "recuva.exe" which is the 32-bit version.
The icon for the 64-bit version "recuva64.exe" would have like a blank page icon and wouldn't even let you run it.
If your system is 64-bit, then you should run the 64-bit version. File recovery applications should always be launched from another drive than the one you want to scan because any newly created or deleted files can decrease the chances of a successful recovery of previously deleted files (or emptied from Recycle Bin).

Now, why you do not get to see the selection screen when you launch the program, chances are, you click on "Do not show this Wizard on startup" option that displays the first time you run the program.
To re-enable it, click on the Options button and check the related box and/or simply click the Run Wizard button to initiate it right then.

Attached Thumbnails
Is there a way I can recover a file I deleted?-recuva.png  

Old 07-26-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Take a look at the screenshot in the attachment of this post.
If you can see both icons for both versions, that would mean your system is 64-bit.
If it was 32-bit, you would only see the program icon for "recuva.exe" which is the 32-bit version.
The icon for the 64-bit version "recuva64.exe" would have like a blank page icon and wouldn't even let you run it.
If your system is 64-bit, then you should run the 64-bit version. File recovery applications should always be launched from another drive than the one you want to scan because any newly created or deleted files can decrease the chances of a successful recovery of previously deleted files (or emptied from Recycle Bin).

Now, why you do not get to see the selection screen when you launch the program, chances are, you click on "Do not show this Wizard on startup" option that displays the first time you run the program.
To re-enable it, click on the Options button and check the related box and/or simply click the Run Wizard button to initiate it right then.

I do not get what your screen shot shows.
Here is a screen shot of what I get when I click on recuva64.exe
Attached Thumbnails
Is there a way I can recover a file I deleted?-rsz_my.jpg  

Old 07-26-2016, 07:53 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,786,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post
I do not get what your screen shot shows.
Here is a screen shot of what I get when I click on recuva64.exe
You're still one step away.
After you extract the compressed file, then you can run it and see what TL sees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or