Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2016, 07:38 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,761,278 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows or could please recommend the best software designed for getting around copying long file name errors in Win 7/8/10? I have file names and folders stored on my external backup drive, so when I try to copy or move many of these to a different location, I get an error message saying something like the file path is too long, etc., asks me to rename them or make them shorter, and it of course doesn't work correctly without the long and painstaking process of manually renaming or shortening each and every one of these errors that are flagged. I have heard that there are software programs that can eliminate this limitation while also preserving the existing and original long file and folder names, but I am not sure which ones are good recommended. Anyone who could please help with this question would be deeply appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 12:18 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Depending on what is causing the length error you may be able to do a quick rename/shortening of an entire directory of filenames.

If it is the filenames that are the problem, not the length of the full path, this might help.

How to Batch Rename Files in Windows: 4 Ways to Rename Multiple Files

If you renamed the directory structure to shorter names it should help.

e:\longer_name\longer_name\longer_name\longer_name \longer_name\longer_name\

To

e:\short_name\short_name\short_name\short_name\sho rt_name\short_name\

Ignore the oddly place spaces in the lines above. CD has some weird formatting rules.

If you make that short enough it should copy and it involves changing folder names instead of every file name. If the folder names are important make a record of them and change them back once they are copied. Of course, if it's a problem now renaming them back to the long names will cause grief in the future.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:30 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,505,394 times
have you done any checks for file or directory errors, like running chkdsk?

Old 07-25-2016, 09:17 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Doesnt other OS's do what 98se does as far as long filenames??

I can make a filename up to 255 characters I think but the computer renames it to xxxxxx~1.xxx internally if its over 6 characters to avoid long filename errors........

Old 07-25-2016, 10:30 AM

8,321 posts, read 13,450,418 times
If you want a $25 solution that can list and fix the issue in one solution, then check this application called Long Path Tool.

If you are willing to do the work yourself but just want to locate the offending files, try the open-source TLPD or Path Length Checker tool. Both are free.
If you encounter the bug using Path Length Checker, you can try th PowerShell script that you can access from the bottom of the same page.

A really good freebie you can use to modify multiple file names at once is Cut Long Names.

Advanced Renamer is a pretty cool utility as well. My personal favorite that I have been using since Windows 9x days is Rname-it.

Not sure if any of these was what you were asking for but I hope it helps.

Additionally, you might want to look more into AlphaFS.

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 07-25-2016 at 10:40 AM..

Old 07-26-2016, 09:55 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Doesnt other OS's do what 98se does as far as long filenames??

I can make a filename up to 255 characters I think but the computer renames it to xxxxxx~1.xxx internally if its over 6 characters to avoid long filename errors........
Of course. That's not the issue here.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
have you done any checks for file or directory errors, like running chkdsk?
A very good idea, thanks for the helpful reminder! Also many thanks as well to everyone else who was kind enough to post a reply to this thread

Old 08-09-2016, 01:52 PM

After doing some research online, I found out that apparently Windows 10 doesn't have the technical issues with coping/moving/pasting file names and folders that Windows 7/Vista/XP reported problems with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers