U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 12:08 PM

123 posts, read 89,489 times

Advertisements

I’m at my wits end with my Epson WF-2630 printer that I purchased 1 year ago. This printer guzzles & gulps ink like there is no tomorrow! Plus this printer is noisy & slow . . . it often seems to want to do internal stuff (which sounds like it is drinking MORE ink) before it will print one page for me (most of the time when I turn it on for the first time for the day). Plus this printer will not print any time that I use a non-OEM ink cartridge. This printer cost me $59 on sale at Target, but I know that I have easily spent over $400 in OEM ink since I purchased this little ink sucking vampire! With my previous 8 year old Epson 3-in-one printer (that totally broke down last year), I spent less than $100 (per year on ink), as that printer WOULD PRINT using non-OEM ink cartridges. However I am not printing any more pages per year (per se) with the WF-2630 than I did with my 8 year old Epson 3-in-one printer.

Can anyone recommend a good WiFi 3-in-one printer (for less than $90) that is either good on ink OR can use non-OEM ink cartridges. As long as the copies are fair and decent, I really do not care about the speed. Since I HATE this Epson printer so much, I would prefer to go with a non-Epson printer while I am at it.

Lastly, someone told me if the nozzles are part of the cartridge as in HP, then I can use third party/non-OEM ink. However since I am not very computer savvy, I have no idea how to find printers that have nozzles that are part of the cartridge . . . so that would be great is someone knows of a few new computers on the market that have nozzles that are part of the cartridge. Yet if all HP printers only have nozzles that are part of the cartridge, then I can easily see that I have several HP 3-in-one printers I could buy.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 03:34 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,764,037 times
I've always had bad luck with HP printers -- there was always something prematurely wrong with their printheads -- but my last two printers were AIO Brother inkjets which are very tolerant to non-OEM ink cartridges.

Mine is 5-yo and still running strong but if I were in the market for a cheap replacement, I'd get this for $60:
Brother MFC-J485DW Wireless All-In-One Printer Black MFC-J485DW - Best Buy

OEM ink pack (blk+3 colors) is $60 yielding 550 pages or $24 non-OEM -- 11cents pp OEM or 4cents non-OEM.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:51 PM

2,210 posts, read 1,252,830 times
I bought an HP Officejet 6830, on sale at Officemax for under $100 eight months ago. This thing does everything but print real money! Granted the print cartridges are a little pricey, but they are huge (three colors) and will last me a good year or more. Also what I do like about it, is it shuts down after a couple of mins. When you need to print it wakes up, does what it has to do, and then shuts down, not wasting electricity. It also prints two sided copies, and is a FAX machine. LOVE IT!

Old 07-24-2016, 04:08 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,764,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
I bought an HP Officejet 6830, on sale at Officemax for under $100 eight months ago. This thing does everything but print real money! Granted the print cartridges are a little pricey, but they are huge (three colors) and will last me a good year or more. Also what I do like about it, is it shuts down after a couple of mins. When you need to print it wakes up, does what it has to do, and then shuts down, not wasting electricity. It also prints two sided copies, and is a FAX machine. LOVE IT!
I think most, if not all, printers have sleep-mode feature.
The duplex printing/scanning is a nice feature, though.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:23 PM

2,210 posts, read 1,252,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I think most, if not all, printers have sleep-mode feature.
The duplex printing/scanning is a nice feature, though.
I've had many different (make) printers, and I have to say this one does one fine job, and no driver issues to speak of. The last HP 5300 I had was a nightmare to get it synced to my network. Never did find out why. Worked fine from my laptop, but the rest of the house it kept dropping out. (printer is offline)

Old 07-24-2016, 08:30 PM

123 posts, read 89,489 times
Thank you Jaypee, and LIcenter. I appreciate your help and recommendations. This looks like great information! I will review it further to help me make my decision on my next printer. Thanks so much for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:10 AM

18,503 posts, read 55,418,079 times
I gave up on Epsons years ago, but made an error and bought one a couple years back. I have since tossed it in the trash and replaced it with a Brother.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:00 PM

929 posts, read 711,202 times
Best printer to buy for total cost of ownership is a Brother. I actually sold a (still working) Brother laser last year on eBay that was manufactured in 1993 IIRC.

All the other manufacturers sell cheap products and expensive ink. With Brother, you get a high quality printer with cheap toner.

Buy a laser for low ownership costs.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:47 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,730,215 times
I rather like my old HP LaserJet 6P. Tankety tankety tank...

Old 07-26-2016, 02:33 PM

2,895 posts, read 1,699,942 times
We use a laserject 2100M bought used 16 years ago...

seriously, if you do mostly BW, look around for used office level laserjets. Very low consumables. For us, one $60 cartridge lasts a year or two. For color, which we rarely need, I have a high quality Canon photo printer.

Of course if you need scanning and fax too, you need a multifunction, most of which are consumer grade, meaning low cost equipment, high operating costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or