U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-27-2016, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Florida
418 posts, read 960,974 times
Reputation: 316

Advertisements

Windows 10 doesn't work with Java, no Pogo games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-27-2016, 06:10 PM
 
8,341 posts, read 4,689,677 times
Reputation: 10510
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Question is why going through the hassle? I don't need to disable any reminders or privacy options with Windows 7. Yet to hear any advantages of Windows 10.
Hassle? It was a few clicks to upgrade from 7 or 8.

There are oodles of articles out there that explain the pros/cons if you want to get into fine details.

It does perform slightly better.

It is supposed to be the last release of numbered major release of windows. Will just be updates to 10 from here on out. So why not get it while free? Security wise you're better off on the latest version if you're going to be connected to the net.

If you game the integration with the Xbox is nice little feature with the ability to stream xbox games to your pc and cross platform gameplay coming.

There's Cortana if you're into the assistant thing.

But it's pretty much like service pack for 7 rather than some huge difference like 8 was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2016, 06:12 PM
 
8,341 posts, read 4,689,677 times
Reputation: 10510
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Buettner View Post
Windows 10 doesn't work with Java, no Pogo games.
Um. What? I write and run Java on my windows 10 machine just fine.

https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/win10_faq.xml
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2016, 06:17 PM
 
8,341 posts, read 4,689,677 times
Reputation: 10510
Overall if you plan to stay with Windows(rather than join the ever growing legion of Macs) I would definitely get it while free. Even if you then downgrade back to 7/8 you will at least have it available later on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2016, 08:12 PM
Status: "Enjoying life..." (set 10 days ago)
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston/Tricity
39,891 posts, read 57,710,982 times
Reputation: 93765
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
What are you talking about? Using OneDrive? My pictures are still in the pictures folder on my hard drive.

With how I have things setup I really can't tell a difference between 10 on my desktop and 7 on my work laptop. Aside from having the tiles in the Start button menu...which you can remove. Setup the privacy options and I see no reason why to avoid 10.
Hmmm... I have to look at it again. Could not find them then.

- Photo app is crappy, compared to photo viewer, and I just think there is way too much of a hassle to upgrade.

- Another reason why I don't really want to upgrade is the fact that Microsoft openly stated that pervasive data will be present in any Windows version starting from Windows 10 and as a host of research on the Internet shows, this data collection cannot be disabled using official means. In other words, automatic spying cannot be disabled in Windows 10. Which can lead you to a question: is Windows 10 a spyware???
Forbes Welcome
France already ordered Microsoft to stop collecting extreme info and tracking browsing within 3 months.
Windows 10 personal data collection is excessive, French privacy watchdog warns | PCWorld

- Next: Microsoft has stripped us of controlling Windows updates. It will be updated over time to bring new features and remove the old ones, regardless of your Automatic Windows Updates settings or the way you interact with the GWX application.
BTW: Microsoft will explain only 'significant' Windows 10 updates. So, sometimes you won't even know what certain updates are aimed to fix or improve.That might lead to unintended consequences and unannounced changes in behavior. Some updates already cause problems
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/c...and_kb3147461/

- Did you read your service agreement? It clearly states that "to improve Microsoft products and services, you grant to Microsoft a worldwide and royalty-free intellectual property license to use Your Content, for example, to make copies of, retain, transmit, reformat, display, and distribute via communication tools Your Content on the Services. "
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/servicesagreement/

Few more facts to know:
- Win 10 shows full screen ads on the lock screen. Now YOU have to search the net to find a way to disable them.
How to Disable Ads on Your Windows 10 Lock Screen
- It will reset your default applications to built-in Microsoft's ones after each major update.
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/ed...-associations/
And the last (for now):
- With Wi-Fi sense enabled, anyone you have in your Skype, Outlook/Hotmail contacts lists, and any of your FB friends can be granted automatic access to your Wi-Fi network as long as they're within range.
In other words - Wi-Fi Sense automatically shares your Wi-Fi passwords with others.
NOTE: I think Win 10 will remove the Wi-Fi Sense password sharing as part of the Anniversary Update due on August 2. Will see...
Windows 10 May Share Your Wi-Fi Password with Facebook

So, since OP asked - those are (some) of my reasons.
However, I am not saying "Never 10" - I just will wait till things improve.
__________________
.
"No Copyrighted Material"
Moderated forums:
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums
.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 07-27-2016 at 08:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2016, 10:05 PM
 
Location: Sarasota FL
6,865 posts, read 9,542,774 times
Reputation: 6592
I don't want the free windows 10 because-
I have an old computer with low ram and storage.
I use wireless ISP- slow download, limited gigs per month. I don't do video. Downloading would take a month of Sundays and cost a couple hundred dollars.
From what I've been reading, there is too much spying software such as cortana.[the actual reason MS is giving 10 for 'free']
Last time I did a windows program update, ME to XP, it screwed up the computer so bad I had to buy a new computer. I'm not taking any chances. This one is working fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2016, 10:43 PM
 
4,751 posts, read 5,590,120 times
Reputation: 2329
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
- Another reason why I don't really want to upgrade is the fact that Microsoft openly stated that pervasive data will be present in any Windows version starting from Windows 10 and as a host of research on the Internet shows, this data collection cannot be disabled using official means. In other words, automatic spying cannot be disabled in Windows 10. Which can lead you to a question: is Windows 10 a spyware???
Forbes Welcome
France already ordered Microsoft to stop collecting extreme info and tracking browsing within 3 months.
Windows 10 personal data collection is excessive, French privacy watchdog warns | PCWorld

- Next: Microsoft has stripped us of controlling Windows updates. It will be updated over time to bring new features and remove the old ones, regardless of your Automatic Windows Updates settings or the way you interact with the GWX application.
BTW: Microsoft will explain only 'significant' Windows 10 updates. So, sometimes you won't even know what certain updates are aimed to fix or improve.That might lead to unintended consequences and unannounced changes in behavior. Some updates already cause problems
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/c...and_kb3147461/

- Did you read your service agreement? It clearly states that "to improve Microsoft products and services, you grant to Microsoft a worldwide and royalty-free intellectual property license to use Your Content, for example, to make copies of, retain, transmit, reformat, display, and distribute via communication tools Your Content on the Services. "
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/servicesagreement/

Few more facts to know:
- Win 10 shows full screen ads on the lock screen. Now YOU have to search the net to find a way to disable them.
How to Disable Ads on Your Windows 10 Lock Screen
- It will reset your default applications to built-in Microsoft's ones after each major update.
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/ed...-associations/
And the last (for now):
- With Wi-Fi sense enabled, anyone you have in your Skype, Outlook/Hotmail contacts lists, and any of your FB friends can be granted automatic access to your Wi-Fi network as long as they're within range.
In other words - Wi-Fi Sense automatically shares your Wi-Fi passwords with others.
NOTE: I think Win 10 will remove the Wi-Fi Sense password sharing as part of the Anniversary Update due on August 2. Will see...
Windows 10 May Share Your Wi-Fi Password with Facebook

So, since OP asked - those are (some) of my reasons.
However, I am not saying "Never 10" - I just will wait till things improve.
Holy Jesus Christ. Just reinforced my decision. Thanks for the info!

Why is that no other computer geeks could form a team to compete with Microsoft?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2016, 07:41 AM
 
Location: Log "cabin" west of Bangor
5,725 posts, read 6,915,090 times
Reputation: 10448
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Holy Jesus Christ. Just reinforced my decision. Thanks for the info!
I think that MS wants to go to a totally 'subscription' based format, like with Office 365. They don't want lusers having any control, and they want them to just keep their wallets open to vacuum out the cash.

Quote:
Why is that no other computer geeks could form a team to compete with Microsoft?
They have- it's called open source Linux development teams. I was putting Linux on customers machines more than 10 years ago, and making it look and feel so much like Win that they didn't know the difference...except that it worked better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2016, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
13,322 posts, read 20,368,637 times
Reputation: 7995
We have 5 laptops in this house. 2 are Macs, 2 run Win 10, and the last runs Win 7. It's not going to be upgraded becaus, 1, it doesn't need to be, and 2, there are no Win 10 drivers for it. Why bother. It will be retired in a year anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2016, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
11,825 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Reputation: 8060
There are a few things that drive me mad about 10, but I do like it a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

- Photo app is crappy, compared to photo viewer, and I just think there is way too much of a hassle to upgrade.
Photo Viewer is still in W10 and I agree with you. It's very good. Excellent even.
MS finally nailed that app in Windows 7..... but it IS still there in 10.

Quote:
- Did you read your service agreement? It clearly states that "to improve Microsoft products and services, you grant to Microsoft a worldwide and royalty-free intellectual property license to use Your Content, for example, to make copies of, retain, transmit, reformat, display, and distribute via communication tools Your Content on the Services. "
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/servicesagreement/
I love that you've done your research. I do. But you are only providing part of the facts on this point. You make it sound like you are granting MS the right to share your personal content from your computer. This is NOT the case. You are granting them to use stuff YOU PUBLICLY SHARE on THEIR SERVICES.

2. Your Content. Many of our Services allow you to store or share Your Content or receive material from others. We don’t claim ownership of Your Content. Your Content remains Your Content and you are responsible for it.

Read the ENTIRE part, not just the part you snipped out:
b. To the extent necessary to provide the Services to you and others, to protect you and the Services, and to improve Microsoft products and services, you grant to Microsoft a worldwide and royalty-free intellectual property license to use Your Content, for example, to make copies of, retain, transmit, reformat, display, and distribute via communication tools Your Content on the Services If you publish Your Content in areas of the Service where it is available broadly online without restrictions, Your Content may appear in demonstrations or materials that promote the Service. Controls for how Microsoft personalizes advertising are available on the Security & privacy page of the Microsoft account management website. We do not use what you say in email, chat, video calls or voice mail, or your documents, photos or other personal files to target advertising to you. Our advertising policies are covered in detail in the Privacy Statements.

This is akin to Facebook ... well... doing what they already do.
If you publicly share stuff, we may reproduce it. I am NOT sure what services they mean... certainly not OneDrive. That would be a serious problem. Bing? Surely. They've been mining Bing since Bing was Bing.

I do applaud the research you've done, thought Elnina. I guarantee 80% of people have not done that.

Quote:
Few more facts to know:
- Win 10 shows full screen ads on the lock screen. Now YOU have to search the net to find a way to disable them.
How to Disable Ads on Your Windows 10 Lock Screen
I am on probably my 45th W10 upgrade...I have yet to see ONE ad on a W10 lockscreen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top