U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 11:09 AM

4,749 posts, read 5,584,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I think that MS wants to go to a totally 'subscription' based format, like with Office 365. They don't want lusers having any control, and they want them to just keep their wallets open to vacuum out the cash.
And many say Bill Gates is a great man who donated millions of his money to charity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 11:12 AM

11,814 posts, read 13,951,598 times
He is. He's a great man. 10X the man Mr. Jobs was.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...-fight-malaria

Not sure what that has to do with this discussion. Mr. Gates hasn't been involved in running Microsoft in quite some time.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:13 AM

3,544 posts, read 5,676,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I am on probably my 45th W10 upgrade...I have yet to see ONE ad on a W10 lockscreen.

I have 8 W10 installations running in my home (most upgraded very early), and none of them have ever had any ads on the lock screen.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:16 AM

3,287 posts, read 1,671,646 times
Malware?

Old 07-28-2016, 12:53 PM

39,769 posts, read 57,642,611 times
I got the tablet for X-mas. My Surface came with 64GB memory, of which was only 37GB available for use. That was when the Surface was still Win 8. After (automatic) upgrade to Win 10, plus some more updates (seems like every time I shut down the tablet, there is a new update to download) that ate more than 16 GB additional disk space. Pretty soon there will be so little space left that the tablet became useless. Just 7 months after purchase, there is only 1/3 disk space left
I didn't download a single software to it, in fact I tried to get rid of some installed by Microsoft, but in most cases there was no way to delete them.
However, I am going to take a close look on what is there and what needs to go:
http://www.windowscentral.com/5-tips...-windows-10-pc

BTW: I didn't see any ads on the lock screen. But obviously they exist.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 07-28-2016 at 01:05 PM..

Old 07-28-2016, 04:23 PM

8,306 posts, read 4,679,294 times
Windows 10 itself actually has a smaller hard drive footprint. As the article states you would want to delete the older windows installation once confirmed it is running smoothly.

Frequent updates are certainly nothing new to 10. And are just a reality of the operating system needing frequent security patches these days.

Managing disk space usage is also nothing new. Even dating back to Windows 3.1 you often had to just outright format and reinstall windows to cut back the size creep.

Run the Disk Cleanup tool then Select "Clean up system files" to help clean up after windows update too. CCleaner is an excellent free 3rd party tool as well.

My Surface Pro which still has Windows 8 is using 132gb of space now. And that's just with some basic work stuff. Not a big music/picture collection or anything. Can't imagine trying to get by with just 64.

Old 07-28-2016, 04:29 PM

8,306 posts, read 4,679,294 times
Quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...-fight-malaria

Not sure what that has to do with this discussion. Mr. Gates hasn't been involved in running Microsoft in quite some time.
Yeah, encounter the Gates foundation frequently in the education field as well.

Old 07-29-2016, 02:13 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,730,215 times
Quote:
Altair BASIC, anyone?

Yeah, a great man. He made his millions by breaking the law, and he set back desktop computing by 20 years, but I guess it takes talent to do both of those things and still be considered a hero by those unfamiliar with history.

Wikipedia - Groklaw
GrokLaw - Microsoft Litigation

I am glad that he's redirecting his money to worthwhile causes.

Last edited by rcsteiner; 07-29-2016 at 02:34 PM..

Old 07-29-2016, 07:20 PM

39,769 posts, read 57,642,611 times
Back on topic, guys. If you want to proceed, just start a new thread about Mr. Gates.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:44 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,414,322 times
I'm sticking with Windows 7 Home Premium which has worked just fine for me (if it ain't broke...).

I have a Samsung and recently read their techs have asked customers to not install Windows 10 because none of their PC or laptop drivers are compatible (as of June 2016). http://tinyurl.com/zwthjjt

I am concerned about Windows 10 being automatically downloaded, then having to get W10 off of the computer and recover W7. The steps aren't difficult; I just hope they work if needed. (Job hunting right now and really need that internet access more than usual. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or