U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 03:32 PM

4,752 posts, read 5,592,658 times

Advertisements

The clock is ticking... Though I had decided long ago not to upgrade, in these final days I thought about it more, and convinced myself not to upgrade. Reasons:

1. The alleged more/better features are really trivial and not only unneeded but undesirable for me (reminders, calculators,....), not to mention for all the hassles of the install and replacing something that has been working fine.

2. (Main reason) I have some old software that I'm afraid will not be compatible with Win 10, even though they survived each windows upgrade previously. Both my word processor and Office are very old versions but I use them every day.

3. It's not like I can never upgrade to Win 10, it's just I'll have to pay should I really want it some day. But the amount that I'll pay for the upgrade will be comparable or even less than the amount I have to pay for the new versions of my software.

4. My computer warranty is ending about the same time. Better not to screw anything...

Anyone else in the same boat? What are your reasons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 03:50 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,522,342 times
I have upgraded a couple of VMs to W10; but my main PC and laptop still have W7 installed, and am quite happy with that. W7 has served me well over the years, and it still has a few more years to go before EoL.

Have used W10 (with all the snoopware disabled as far as possible), and am pretty impressed with it - a definite mix of all the best bits from 8.x and 7.

The only downside about keeping 7 is that in time a lot of new/future software will not be compatible; so you'll be stuck with what you've got. And when Support ends I think I will have to upgrade to 10 completely.

But for the moment W7 is all I need for business and pleasure. W10 remains a passing curio

Old 07-27-2016, 04:35 PM

12,446 posts, read 11,239,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZolaLloyd View Post
...Have used W10 (with all the snoopware disabled as far as possible), and am pretty impressed with it - a definite mix of all the best bits from 8.x and 7...
I agree. However, I was amazed at all of the monitoring options I had to disable.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:42 PM

39,918 posts, read 57,741,604 times
I have Win 10 on Surface, and Win 7 on PC.
I am not upgrading PC to Win 10. I have everything nicely set up on my PC, all software are working perfectly, all invasive privacy behaviors are tweaked or turned off.
I love Windows 7 photo viewer and the ease and functionality it brings. Windows 10 photo app is an abomination! There is a problem with the photo app - I couldn't move my photos out of the photo app, anywhere else on my laptop, or an external hard drive, and could not find where my photos are stored on the hard drive.
It seems like those photos now belong to Microsoft, and MS will store them, where they want them, and only allow you to move them where they want you too.

I will wait, and get a laptop with Win 10 already installed. I am not going to install it on my custom made desktop.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:05 PM

12,446 posts, read 11,239,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
...It seems like those photos now belong to Microsoft, and MS will store them, where they want them, and only allow you to move them where they want you too...
My photos are still where I had them in 7.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:11 PM

If you disable those snopes, what's exactly the advantage of Win 10?

Old 07-27-2016, 05:17 PM

8,347 posts, read 4,697,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I love Windows 7 photo viewer and the ease and functionality it brings. Windows 10 photo app is an abomination! There is a problem with the photo app - I couldn't move my photos out of the photo app, anywhere else on my laptop, or an external hard drive, and could not find where my photos are stored on the hard drive.
It seems like those photos now belong to Microsoft, and MS will store them, where they want them, and only allow you to move them where they want you too.
What are you talking about? Using OneDrive? My pictures are still in the pictures folder on my hard drive.

With how I have things setup I really can't tell a difference between 10 on my desktop and 7 on my work laptop. Aside from having the tiles in the Start button menu...which you can remove. Setup the privacy options and I see no reason why to avoid 10.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:39 PM

3,287 posts, read 1,673,157 times
Pro tip: If you upgrade and then downgrade you can upgrade again at any time. I've already done that.

However, I have one PC on Win7 and one on Win1010. There's not enough difference for me to notice.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
With how I have things setup I really can't tell a difference between 10 on my desktop and 7 on my work laptop. Aside from having the tiles in the Start button menu...which you can remove. Setup the privacy options and I see no reason why to avoid 10.
Question is why going through the hassle? I don't need to disable any reminders or privacy options with Windows 7. Yet to hear any advantages of Windows 10.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:53 PM

5,725 posts, read 6,916,868 times
I got tired of the constant upgrade horsepuckey years ago. I have Vista on one laptop and Win7 on another...only because they were free and that's what was on them. Sometimes I'll run Linux off a CD or stick on them. Other machines run W98, Win2k (freebie from MS when I was in the computer business) and various flavors of Linux...and somewhere I have a box that multiboots Win 3.11/95/OS2 Warp.

I don't need to keep constantly upgrading my OS and productivity software...truth be told, if it weren't for games and internet crap, everything I *need* would run just fine on a 286 running MS-DOS 6.2 and MS Works, or if I wanted fancy color crap, on a 486DX running Win 3.11 with WordPerfect and Lotus Smart Suite.

Everything else is just eye-candy and time-wasting.

Most of my games are older and don't want to work on the newer Windozes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or