U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 03:31 PM

11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times

Advertisements

"Let Windows Manage my Printer" was turned back on....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 04:04 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,523,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Just a few:

- The Store icon that I removed is back in the task bar
- The Edge icon that I removed is back in the task bar
- I am again asked what I want to use as default to open PDF's
- "Show suggestions" was turned back on.

Sketchy McSketcherson

Same here on my VM. Disabled or uninstalled some of these pointless and/or intrusive apps a few weeks ago, only to find them back on my menu bar a couple of days ago.

Had to go into the privacy settings again to disable (again!) some of those apps that default to "yes" or "open"

So is this going to happen every time they do a big upgrade? Are they trying to wear us down and accept the apps we don't want?

Fortunately I did a snapshot of the VM prior to the upgrade, so did a restore and all is good thus far. But it won't last.

I don't trust Microsoft and their long terms intentions with W10.

I do still have a couple of laptops and a PC running 7 and 8.1 - perfectly happy with both. But I suspect Microsoft will try to change all that.

Old 09-20-2016, 04:23 PM

39,967 posts, read 57,815,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
News app, Money app, Phone companion.... I remove 'em all. I hate clutter and bloat.
All that will be probably back by the next update... Looks like we just can't win, and they want to do what THEY want to do. Unnecessary/useless stuff just eating memory...
I am so glad that I stopped automatic updates on my Win 7 PC, but they might find a way to install it anyway. By force...
It is unclear why the company is not honoring user choice in this regard. It makes sense to push new apps the company created to the device, but if a user removes such an app, it should not be installed again on the system, ever. 3D Builder is a best example. Not only is the app only of use if you work with 3D models and 3D printing, it is also one of the first apps listed in the new Windows 10 start menu.

Here are fixes for most common problems, but I am not sure if they really work and for how long:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinio...-bugs-help-fix

BTW: did you noticed that all the loud and cheerful praise got very quiet after the last update? You don't really read how wonderful the Win 10 is anymore...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:43 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,523,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
All that will be probably back by the next update... Looks like we just can't win, and they want to do what THEY want to do. Unnecessary/useless stuff just eating memory...
I am so glad that I stopped automatic updates on my Win 7 PC, but they might find a way to install it anyway. By force...
It is unclear why the company is not honoring user choice in this regard. It makes sense to push new apps the company created to the device, but if a user removes such an app, it should not be installed again on the system, ever. 3D Builder is a best example. Not only is the app only of use if you work with 3D models and 3D printing, it is also one of the first apps listed in the new Windows 10 start menu.

Here are fixes for most common problems, but I am not sure if they really work and for how long:
13 common Windows 10 problems

BTW: did you noticed that all the loud and cheerful praise got very quiet after the last update? You don't really read how wonderful the Win 10 is anymore...

Just like a spider waiting in the shadows for its unsuspecting, innocent, naive victims to fly into its web of deceit. And then, KAPOWWW!!! They've got you, and you can't escape their evil clutches any more!

Old 09-21-2016, 08:37 PM

1,839 posts, read 4,506,688 times
I have a mid-2007 iMac that's treated me well for many years but it's time to get a new computer and decided to get a laptop/notebook. I like Apple but I'm tired of their high prices for average specs.

My experiences with Microsoft were so bad 10 years ago I said I'd never go back to them. But, I'm considering it. I even found what seems to be a GREAT laptop from Dell on Amazon:

Dell Inspiron 13 7000 Series 13.3-Inch Full HD Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core i7-6500U, 1TB SSD, 16GB Memory, Windows 10 - $1249

8 Reviews, all 5 Stars. One very recent reviewer even said, "On the Dell site you cannot even get this same unit in the specs I got from Amazon. Maximum on the Dell site is 8GB RAM and 500GB flash drive and for almost twice the price!"

So, I thought: _"I think I just found my new laptop!"_

Then I researched Windows 10 and read this on Wikipedia:

Quote:
"User control over Windows Updates was removed. In earlier versions users could opt for updates to be installed automatically, or to be notified so they could update as and when they wished, or not to be notified; and they could choose which updates to install, using information about the updates. Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise users may be configured by an administrator to defer updates, but only for a limited time. For example, in its Canadian licensing agreement, users of Windows 10 "may stop receiving updates on your device by turning off Internet access. If and when you re-connect to the Internet, the software will resume checking for and installing updates." Under the Windows end-user license agreement, users consent to the automatic installation of all updates, features and drivers provided by the service, and to the automatic removal or changes to features being modified or no longer provided."
And THEN I read this thread on City Data...

I may be shelling out the extra money for a MacBook Pro now. I do NOT like this agreement. So, I'm very glad to have read this thread BEFORE I bought a laptop. Apple isn't a saint either, but at least I know what I'm getting into with them.

This sou

Old 09-24-2016, 04:54 PM

10 posts, read 5,729 times
My first advertising showed up on my HP Notebook PC upgrade from Win7 to 10. The HP is now 6 months old and the advertising was for Walmart while I was playing a game of Sol. FYI

Old 09-25-2016, 12:30 PM

2,909 posts, read 1,708,175 times
This latest, major update hit me this weekend, on both my laptop and my desktop.

A few beefs with microsoft, all longstanding, but brought to the forefront by this update:

- why the constant redesign of interface components? This is especially true with Office, but now also Win10? MS could at least give us a description of what changed, not just links to the horrible KB descriptions.

- why stuff new apps in our face without any notice or choice?

- why make these new components so difficult to remove? you need to hunt in multiple places just to turn off tray icons.

- what happened to consistency among programs and apps? The biggest historic benefit of MS products was consistent behaviour. That is no longer true. Different ways to access settings, different menu/ribbon structures and so forth. Seems like separate teams do things now.

- what ever happened to the flexibility we power users had? It seems to be slowly slipping away, as if we don't know what we're doing. Updates are a good example - designed for the dummer than a gourd (no offense to plants..) user.

Enough for now. Fortunately the update didn't change any important settings or mess up anything.

Old 09-25-2016, 02:51 PM

28,648 posts, read 40,627,244 times
After seeing everyone mentioning updates I looked. I've not had one since the 15th and I have not seen these changes everyone mentions.

Old 09-25-2016, 03:02 PM

2,909 posts, read 1,708,175 times
^ it's coming. Seems to be a gradual rollout.

Let me add one other beef:

- With the new upgrade approach, I have no control over when the update is downloaded. Being rural, I have limited bandwidth. Saturday morning, I thought I was having internet problems - speeds half normal, long ping times etc. Turns out it was MS hogging the bandwidth.

Sigh.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:37 PM

39,967 posts, read 57,815,785 times
If you don't know those hidden Windows 10 tricks yet, here you go:
10 Hidden Tricks Inside Windows 10 - Secret Start Menu - Slideshow from PCMag.com
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or