Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 08:54 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,664,092 times

Advertisements

Well August 2nd has come and gone and the last update listed is July 12th, and it wasn't W10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 01:02 AM

61,603 posts, read 86,931,655 times
^^^It began to roll out... in phases starting with the newest machines first.
If you don't want to wait for the update—say, for instance, you have an older PC—AU is still easy to obtain. Just go to your Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update menu and click Check for Updates. The Anniversary Update will appear as “Feature update to Windows 10, version 1607.” Remember to check back and install it after it downloads, or else it will typically install sometime in the evening, when you’re not using your PC.

Old 08-06-2016, 11:38 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,844,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
AU is still easy to obtain. Just go to your Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update menu and click Check for Updates. The Anniversary Update will appear as “Feature update to Windows 10, version 1607.”
Did this and the *updates* found nothing !
But ...
Clicked on *learn more* and then you can find a way to manually do the AU thingy.
Took a very long time with umpteen restarts (so go do something else !)

Again, somewhere you need to be watching, because again there are the defaults which you can opt out from. *It* does wait for you to click *Next* .

So far, the only difference is the tile start screen. Just a tad different looks.
You can still *not* use Cortana, by clicking *not now* ...

System INfo states that I now have :
Version 10.0.14393
Build 14393

If this is Win10 whatever 1607, then so be it ...

Old 08-07-2016, 06:39 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,496,863 times
^ nice to know. Thanks

Old 08-07-2016, 09:09 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,844,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
You can still *not* use Cortana, by clicking *not now* ...
Correction to this above.

Even tho I did chose *later* for the use of Cortana, on the bottom left of the screen is now a small white circle, which, when you hover over it, says : *Ask me anything*
When you click on it it brings up a dialog where it then says *Anything I can do for you ?*

So ..., even opting out for a while, seems not to work, but then I do not know what it does look like if you do want to use Cortana !

About the *new features* ?
I have no idea what they are !
You could find out here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/features

*Everything else* (my daily work pattern), it all still works as before.
If I did not know, I actually would not know if I was on Win 7 or 10 ?

As I have mentioned before, if you do not have a touch screen, most *features* are useless for you ...
Attached Thumbnails
Windows 10 - stuff you need or should  know-win16screen.jpg  

Old 08-09-2016, 05:00 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,190,785 times
if you have an older machine DO NOT upgrade as windows 10 has a problem with corrupting itself and making multible partitions and good luck with trying to do a reinstall of any OS it won't let you unless you do an active kill disc first to eliminate those partitions that it created. i know the problem with one of my machines is DELL didn't write the drivers and or the firmware to support windows 10. one more reason i won't buy a HELL computer ever again.. build your own machine your much better off you know whats going in there and you know what you can do with it along with better support and warranties than a premade POS. my custom built machine is running win 10 fine with no problems the HELL pc it's just a matter of time before it corrupts itself again so it's a scrap project thank you DELL!!!

Old 08-09-2016, 08:05 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,664,092 times
An older machine? You mean like my wife's 7 year old laptop that upgraded perfectly? Or the home built desktop that's two years older than her laptop that also upgraded flawlessly?

Like those?

The problem is less the age of the computer and more the hardware and preparation in anticipation of upgrading.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:25 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,135,972 times
I just installed the big update. My computer rebooted twice during the process. I can't notice any difference.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:44 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,496,863 times
Such varied experiences. my my. Does doing a readiness check have anything to do with it? I ran one on two of mine, the ones most likely to be problematic, and found no warnings.

Just a thought.

I also lined up drivers in advance, none of which I needed.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:38 PM

61,603 posts, read 86,931,655 times
Pause Windows 10 updates easily from the command line:
How To Pause Windows Update Download In Windows 10

Try to dissuade Microsoft from pushing large updates to your computer by enabling the Metered Connection feature:
How to Delay, Block Software Updates in Windows 10
If you’re using Ethernet, there’s no way to fool Microsoft Home Edition, but Pro can try to disable updates using the troubleshooter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers