U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 07:06 PM

39,967 posts, read 57,815,785 times

Advertisements

Windows 10 is a fact for many of us who willingly or unwillingly got updated and now have question, or two.
Lets dedicate this thread to everything related to Win 10

Microsoft’s Anniversary Update (AU) for Windows 10 rolls out tomorrow. The second major update to Windows 10, roughly 3GB, (don’t forget to do a backup before the update) promises a ton of new features. Some good, some not so. (feel free to vent)
- Microsoft may increase the number of promoted app tiles in the Start menu, and I heard that it makes IMPOSSIBLE for the common user to block the ads MS is GOING to send.
- "All apps" option will be gone. Instead, you'll just get the alphabetized list of apps and programs the minute you open the Start menu.
- Windows 10 includes a new peer-to-peer download feature for updates and Windows Store apps. In other words, your upload bandwidth may be being used without you knowing it to help other people get a Windows 10 patch a few seconds faster. If you have just one computer, you should disable it.

BTW: Good news for procrastinators: you can still get your hands on a no-cost upgrade to Windows 10 by turning to a page for people who use assistive technologies, like a magnifier to better see the screen, a narrator to read text aloud, keyboard shortcuts and an on-screen keyboard. Just go to the webpage entitled "Windows 10 free upgrade for customers who use assistive technologies." Click on the Upgrade now button. Run the executable file to install the upgrade.
Still, 60% of PCs in the world are running Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 07:57 PM

3,401 posts, read 1,007,198 times
Thanks for the heads up on the update. I've had lengthy updates like that put my laptop out of commission while it's updating for over an hour before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Still, 60% of PCs in the world are running Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1
Our desktop is one of them, still running 7. Microsoft sneakily downloaded it and tried to install it on there. One morning, when I went to the computer, a windows 10 install screen was waiting for me. I had to decline the terms & conditions to go back. I definitely prefer windows 7 to 10. In my opinion, MS needs to realize "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

I ditched the "start menu" on windows 10 long ago for Classic Shell. It's absolutely free and works wonderful.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:25 PM

18,581 posts, read 55,510,434 times
My data cap for the MONTH is 10 GB. Thanks for the heads up, as the W-10 will now ONLY be powered on after midnight, when it is in the "free" zone for satellite downloads. There are times I think that Dude is on the right track. I still have my older versions and use them, and the W-10 computer is only for those things that won't work properly without it.

At some point I will move to linux or mac, or give up on the net except for smartphone and go back to having a computer that I own. I cut cable, I cut satellite tv, I can cut Windows with the only regret that it went sour and that I remember when it was something I wanted.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:18 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,675,057 times
I have dual operating systems, Linux (Ubuntu) and Windows 7, on the desktops here. Today I decided to boot up Win 7 just to see if anything had changed. I still have the "Get Windows 10" icon showing down on the system tray. So what happens if a person clicks on it at this time? Will they be prompted to pay for Win 10 or will MS still let users slide it in for free?

Old 08-02-2016, 12:22 AM

4,752 posts, read 5,599,255 times
By the time I finally feel the need to upgrade to Windows 10, Windows 11 will be out.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:01 AM

2,909 posts, read 1,709,430 times
so now I know why my internet will be slow the next few days!

I have set updates to notify me, not update automatically. That way I can wait, even a few weeks, to see what reviews say about the upgrade. I'm still hopeful that Redmond will not move backward in our ability to control our own machines.

If they no longer give us the ability to turn off live tiles (which I hate) or customize the start screen, I will be POd.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:12 AM

3,287 posts, read 1,674,680 times
I declined the ads when I set up my new laptop. Haven't seen any.

And "Classic Shell" works fine for me too.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:17 AM

15,261 posts, read 20,204,469 times
I just received the following email from Brother, which is the manufacturer of my printer. I verified that it did come from Brother:

Important Information for Windows 10 Users

This notice is for customers using Win10 OS. If you are not using Win10, this notice does not pertain to you.

The next major update to Windows 10 is scheduled to be released on August 2nd, 2016.

After your Windows 10 PC has been updated, either automatically or by manually updating through Windows Updates, you may no longer be able to print or scan using the USB and Network connections. To resolve this issue, you will need to uninstall the existing Brother software and then reinstall it.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianator View Post
...I ditched the "start menu" on windows 10 long ago for Classic Shell. It's absolutely free and works wonderful.

I downloaded Classic Shell last summer for my Windows 8.1 computer. I agree it's wonderful.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
...I still have the "Get Windows 10" icon showing down on the system tray. So what happens if a person clicks on it at this time? Will they be prompted to pay for Win 10 or will MS still let users slide it in for free?

Have you not dowloaded the GWX program, which permanently keeps W10 from being downloaded on your computer? I did it as a result of the wonderful advice on this forum. I'm very computer-illiterate so, if I could do it, anyone can. I smile every time I see the "10" with an "X" through it icon on my tray.

How to block the Windows 10 upgrade | PCWorld
Attached Thumbnails
Windows 10 - stuff you need or should  know-screenshot-jpg.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or