U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 03:11 PM

40,296 posts, read 41,850,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I connect my raided drive. Backup. Then disconnect it.
This works. Flawlessly. and has for over 10 years.
I'm not sure why you would do that, RAID1 is intended to have 2 drives connected all the time. If you have one drive fail the other is mirror copy completely up to date, they are constantly and immediately synced.That's the point of using RAID1

Last edited by thecoalman; 08-03-2016 at 03:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post

be aware that RAID 0 is not even redundant.
RAID0 is for high performance applications where data integrity is not an issue, when a file is written parts of it are written to both drives increasing the write speed .

Old 08-04-2016, 01:23 AM

3,828 posts, read 5,988,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm not sure why you would do that, RAID1 is intended to have 2 drives connected all the time. If you have one drive fail the other is mirror copy completely up to date, they are constantly and immediately synced.That's the point of using RAID1
I think he means he has a RAID1 external hard drive that he connects to his computer when he does his backup and then he disconnects it when the backup is done.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:02 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,978,818 times
Exactly. RAID1 is intended to provide security in the event of a hardware failure. I use a TB drive that is attached via USB.
Nowhere has anyone said ever the point is to have it connected all the time.
You use yours your way, I'll use mine mine. There is no wrong way.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:09 AM

10,755 posts, read 18,017,874 times
Quote:
Exactly. RAID1 is intended to provide security in the event of a hardware failure. I use a TB drive that is attached via USB.
That is perfectly acceptable, but not at all what we were talking about.

Old 08-05-2016, 01:49 AM

Quote:
The point is that it can seamlessly provide real time protection against hardware failure 24/7/365 in the background and will prevent any data loss in the event of a single drive failure.

You are using it more like a standard backup which is only as good as the last time you connected it. If that is the way you want to use it so be it but you're losing what I consider to the first line against data loss.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
That is perfectly acceptable, but not at all what we were talking about.
We are talking about hard drives failing. Software to monitor them. Is it not to much of a stretch to talk about proper backup in such a thread? I think not.
I didn't bring up the RAID discussion either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoalman
The point is that it can seamlessly provide real time protection against hardware failure 24/7/365 in the background and will prevent any data loss in the event of a single drive failure.

You are using it more like a standard backup which is only as good as the last time you connected it. If that is the way you want to use it so be it but you're losing what I consider to the first line against data loss.
We are talking about my home computer, not an enterprise level server. If I lose a weeks worth of photos, so be it. I'm not losing losing years worth.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:01 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,188,959 times
Default Raid raid raid

I dont understand why raid is a good idea arent both drives running at the same time?? so dont drives have the same amount of time on them??? so if one fails wont the other fail not much later?? also I restore computers for resale, so I have to know how many hours and the health of the hard drive , I dont want to sell someone a computer then have them come back a week later claiming I sold them a bad computer if the hard drive fails.also I sell alot of laptops so a second hardrive is not possible.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
I dont understand why raid is a good idea arent both drives running at the same time??
=
Yes. The odds of them both failing together are miniscule.

Quote:
so dont drives have the same amount of time on them??? so if one fails wont the other fail not much later??
Absolutely not. Just because a hard drive is rated at, let's say 20,000 hours MTBF doesn't mean that drive WILL die at 20,000 hours. That drive may go 25K or 40K.

Quote:
I restore computers for resale, so I have to know how many hours and the health of the hard drive
How do you know how many hours are on them???

Old 08-09-2016, 11:15 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,188,959 times
Quote:
=
Yes. The odds of them both failing together are miniscule.

Absolutely not. Just because a hard drive is rated at, let's say 20,000 hours MTBF doesn't mean that drive WILL die at 20,000 hours. That drive may go 25K or 40K.

How do you know how many hours are on them???
the software tells me the 'power on time' its not perfect it told me that one hard drive had 5.4M days on it!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or