U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 12:51 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,188,959 times

Advertisements

if your computer fails its no big deal but if your hard drive fails you're screwed,so here is a free program I came across,its called acronis drive monitor, I have mine running all the time and check it a few times a year, the moment the numbers go down, I start transfering all my data to another harddrive.

http://www.acronis.com/en-us/homecom...ownload/drive-
monitor/index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 07:52 PM

40,296 posts, read 41,850,213 times
If you are really concerned about this look into two drives in RAID1 configuration. The drives are mirrored so if one fails you have the other one, pop the failed drive out and a replacement drive will be rebuilt from the good one....you're back to square one with two drives mirroring each other. As an added bonus you get a boost on read performance because data can be read from both drives simultaneously.

Keep in mind this should not be relied on as backup but that is the case no matter what your drive configuration. Proper backups should be physically separated from the computer, preferably in a different location.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:32 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,978,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Keep in mind this should not be relied on as backup but that is the case no matter what your drive configuration. Proper backups should be physically separated from the computer, preferably in a different location.
Disagree on this. I've done backups like this for ... well let's just say a very long time.

I agree with everything else you said.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:21 AM

10,755 posts, read 18,017,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Disagree on this. I've done backups like this for ... well let's just say a very long time.
All a matter of opinion. RAID is not a backup, if you get hit with a nasty all drives are immediately affected. RAID is for redundancy, not backup.

Redundant Array of Independent Disks

Old 08-03-2016, 12:00 PM

2,909 posts, read 1,709,430 times
Arguing between redundancy and backup for a home user is a bit of hair splitting, in my mind. Yes, at enterprise level, good shops will have both - redundancy as in various RAID configurations keeps you from going down when a drive fails, whereas backup covers other kinds of failures. But the fact is that backup is almost always periodic, usually daily, whereas RAID is continuous.

be aware that RAID 0 is not even redundant.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Arguing between redundancy and backup for a home user is a bit of hair splitting, in my mind.
I would disagree. Granted the average home user will believe it is a backup, right up to the point they infect themselves with a crypto locker and discover that it's not a backup.

Doesn't matter where it's being used, RAID isn't a backup. A backup provides for the recovery of data no matter what happens to the original, RAID clearly doesn't allow that.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:27 PM

3,547 posts, read 5,683,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I would disagree. Granted the average home user will believe it is a backup, right up to the point they infect themselves with a crypto locker and discover that it's not a backup.

Doesn't matter where it's being used, RAID isn't a backup. A backup provides for the recovery of data no matter what happens to the original, RAID clearly doesn't allow that.

Agree 100% ... RAID is not a backup. If you corrupt a file in a raid, you corrupt it on all drives at once.

Raid is great for high availability, and great for sudden drive failure, but we've had a number of instances where all drives in the array were corrupt, and only backups (off machine, off site, or even just on a second drive) could save the machine.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:38 PM

11,849 posts, read 13,978,818 times
I connect my raided drive. Backup. Then disconnect it.
This works. Flawlessly. and has for over 10 years.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I connect my raided drive. Backup. Then disconnect it.
This works. Flawlessly. and has for over 10 years.
That's not RAID as a backup if you're disconnecting the drive, not at all what we're talking about. I'm not exactly sure what it is you are talking about. "connect my raided drive"?

Old 08-03-2016, 03:00 PM

40,296 posts, read 41,850,213 times
Quote:
If something happens to both drives simultaneously like a bad PSU so much for the backup. If someone steals the computer so much for the backup. If......

More importantly it doesn't account for file revisions/changes, if you accidentally resize your favorite image or alter/delete file(s) in way you did not intend so much for the backup.

RAID1 is good for backing up the current state of the system but it's not a backup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or