U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 07:34 AM

2,909 posts, read 1,709,430 times

Advertisements

Disagree that laptops are a more expensive option, when you consider monitor costs. A 10+ years old monitor is probably outdated. Touch under Win 10 is nice once you get used to it, which takes minutes.

Portability is great once you see how easy it is. For example, I'm in my favorite chair doing this post.

Suggest a cheap laptop. Don't worry about memory. Stock 4 GB is all you'll ever need unless you do video or photo editing. more memory is the most common in store up-sell (i.e. more profit for the store), as are larger drives, extended warranties etc. You can easily get a basic laptop (all most people need) for less than $300.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 09:15 AM

4,244 posts, read 12,772,939 times
While learning Windows 10 may be easy, one reason I use an older laptop with XP is because some installed programs cannot run on anything higher than XP. So, on top of the expense of a new machine I would also have the added expenses of buying quite a few pieces of upgraded software.

However, it's a two-edged sword because I can't upgrade Office on my XP to handle docx which come through frequently as email attachments. I went on a mission to find an older version of Office that would run on XP and would load docx, but it became too toilsome, so I quit looking. So, there are some things today that XP can't handle.

Thus I have two machines, my old XP laptop and a newer Win 7 desktop. It's a HP and I'm not exactly thrilled with it. I think I would have preferred a Dell, but I don't know.

For some people replacing a desktop with a laptop isn't easy peasy. There's something preferred about having a monitor separate from a keyboard. But a great compromise is purchasing the largest laptop possible, like a 17", and buying a stand-alone keyboard (either a wired or wireless one). This is what we did for my mother about two years ago to replace her deceased desktop and this "set up" worked well for her. We bought one with a CD/DVD drive so that she could watch movies and listen to music that she had on CD and DVD.

Old 08-06-2016, 02:13 PM

28,648 posts, read 40,627,244 times
4 Easy Ways to Convert Docx to Doc - wikiHow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
While learning Windows 10 may be easy, one reason I use an older laptop with XP is because some installed programs cannot run on anything higher than XP. So, on top of the expense of a new machine I would also have the added expenses of buying quite a few pieces of upgraded software.

However, it's a two-edged sword because I can't upgrade Office on my XP to handle docx which come through frequently as email attachments. I went on a mission to find an older version of Office that would run on XP and would load docx, but it became too toilsome, so I quit looking. So, there are some things today that XP can't handle.

Thus I have two machines, my old XP laptop and a newer Win 7 desktop. It's a HP and I'm not exactly thrilled with it. I think I would have preferred a Dell, but I don't know.

For some people replacing a desktop with a laptop isn't easy peasy. There's something preferred about having a monitor separate from a keyboard. But a great compromise is purchasing the largest laptop possible, like a 17", and buying a stand-alone keyboard (either a wired or wireless one). This is what we did for my mother about two years ago to replace her deceased desktop and this "set up" worked well for her. We bought one with a CD/DVD drive so that she could watch movies and listen to music that she had on CD and DVD.

Old 08-06-2016, 03:12 PM

10,961 posts, read 15,260,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
OP hasn't mentioned her budget but, off the bat, there are much cheaper options with comparable specs.
Yes there are.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010DODKSQ...1b9bba82e9d0_S

They should want at least an i5 to stay up with the technology. Newegg has good deals and Staples and Best Buy will price match what you may find on Newegg, Dell, or Amazon.

Old 08-06-2016, 04:58 PM

for someone doing light use, an I5 is a waste of money, especially for someone with an old machine.

As I've said before, it is all too easy to be upsold and/or buy more machine than one needs. And, given today's market, I challenge you to find a desktop AND monitor as cheap as a comparable laptop. Why a new monitor? Show me a 10 year old one that is not a POC.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:16 PM

25,247 posts, read 18,718,110 times
OP should look into something with solid state drives. That's going to be a much bigger improvement in day to day use than going from an I3 to an I7.

Old 08-06-2016, 11:55 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,786,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
for someone doing light use, an I5 is a waste of money, especially for someone with an old machine.

As I've said before, it is all too easy to be upsold and/or buy more machine than one needs. And, given today's market, I challenge you to find a desktop AND monitor as cheap as a comparable laptop. Why a new monitor? Show me a 10 year old one that is not a POC.
Here's a desktop + monitor combo for $500:

$399 Acer I5-6400, 8GB, 2TB

Acer Aspire ATC-710-UR61 Desktop Computer DT.B15AA.017 - Micro Center

$99 HP 23" IPS 1920x1080

HP 23" IPS LED HD Monitor Silver T3M74AA#ABA - Best Buy

You're probably not going to find a comparable laptop since they tend to use the low-power I5-6200U variant which is less powerful (UserBenchmark: Intel Core i5-6200U vs i5-6400)

This laptop is comparable at $489 but with 1TB less storage and the I5-6200U:

Acer Laptop Aspire E 15 E5-575G-52RJ Intel Core i5 6200U (2.30 GHz) 8 GB Memory 1 TB HDD NVIDIA GeForce 940MX 15.6" Windows 10 Home - Newegg.com

A desktop will give you value, expandability, and serviceability. A laptop will give you portability. It depends on what OP's needs are.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:43 AM

jaypee, do you think someone with a 10 year old machine wants power or expandability? I wonder how many buyers ever add memory, SSD, new HDD, or anything else. I bet you a small percentage (<10% ?). They're not like us!

Old 08-07-2016, 08:28 AM

1,010 posts, read 1,145,638 times
I forgot to say what I use it for, I know that makes a difference in what kind of computer to get.

I most definitely need a CD player in it; that is one of my biggest uses.
(I don't have any other CD player).
I use it to listen to radio (my apt has no radio reception), listening to news, music, youtube, livestream, and such.

email and search web. No spreadsheets, no games,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Look on line at Wall Mark and similar companies. They do sell refurbished computers.
From what you said any computer should do. The lower priced ones do not have CD drives. Do you need one? You will need a USB port for backup.
Yes you should go to windows 10 and will have some learning. I would also consider a touch screen.
You can also check Dell on line.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:32 AM

1,010 posts, read 1,145,638 times
My computer guy says that - structurally - there is no way to add more memory to my computer.
it is so slow, literally sometimes I click on a link, and then go to the kitchen and make coffee and return.
Email (yahoo) is especially slow. and mucked up.
(screens change for no reason).

sometimes it gets stuck and I have to shut it down.
My computer guy says there is nothing can be done.
I trust him, I'm had him for 10 years, and I have referred him to other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
This might be off-topic, but do you know why your current computer is not performing well? It's possible your computer guy could fix it. Maybe malware is bogging it down and XP just needs to be reloaded. I am typing this on an 8-year-old PC running XP with no problems, and I hope to keep it another 5 years at least. I've replaced the hard drive, the power supply, and the video card, but that's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or