U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 08:38 AM

1,010 posts, read 1,145,638 times

Advertisements

One thing I know for sure, I do not want a laptop.

that is bec. I spend too much time on my computer as it is.

It is very useful for communicating re email, for news, and esp. for watching yoga.
I like live-streaming (eg during a convention) - i'm a news junkie.

But I don't want something I can take with me.
I am getting away from being online.

oh - and I would like to watch netflix on my computer,
i used to get but no more - due to no support from MS.
ditto with npr, I used to listen to that, like to have a voice on (live alone), can no longer get that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Go to Best Buy....Buy an HP laptop....or a Toshiba Laptop. You should be able to find a really nice one for about 500-600.

I like Best Buy cause the sales people are real savvy and can help guide you on your purchase.

HP is a plug and play type computer. We had a Dell xp for years, and an HP desktop too. I hated my Dell, and we spent 3x as much on that as we did the HP. I loved the HP because it just walks you through everything.
Don't be afraid of buying a windows 10. It is a lot like an android phone IMO. And I'm in your age group, and have just got my 2nd laptop after using a Toshiba laptop Windows 7 for several years.

I will never go back to a desk top, laptops allow me so much freedom to multi-task, I can be making dinner or doing laundry while watching my Netflix on my laptop. I do not miss having to be confined in an out of the way room to use my computer like I did pre-laptop.

They also travel very well, if I get called to babysit I just take it with me, and can be on it after the kids are down, or while they play their computer games on the TV.

Research online, and ask others....then go shopping with a few notes. You will be glad that you did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
OP hasn't mentioned her budget but, off the bat, there are much cheaper options with comparable specs.
as far as my budget, i am low-income senior on social security--
but have savings, and am prepared to spend on a computer--
i know i don't need a lot of bells and whistles - but i do want one that will perform well.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:45 AM

thanks, this is advice I need--

eg how much memory and how much GB (whatever the heck that is - lol)

I do a lot with many windows open, that is something this current computer used to do, now I can only have one window open.

I have a monitor which is large and relatively new, do not need that.

glad to hear about your father-in-law. My father is 96 and he uses a tablet quite well.

$300. or so would be reasonable to spend--

do you have a rec. about a store- or I guess they are all pretty much the same?

I am going to wait til Labor Day, bec. I noticed stores have sales on Labor Day.

thanks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused View Post
My advice: Forget XP, its not worth hanging on to. Windows 10 has the same major things to work with: taskbar, Start button, desktop with icons and wallpaper, programs open in tabs on the taskbar, wiindow title bar icons for min, max and close.

For basic home use, internet, light gaming, spreadsheets, documents, etc, you dont need a high end PC. Get one with at least 4G of memory, 6 or 8 would be better, and a 500GB hard drive, this should cost 300 bucks or less. You may need a new monitor that should only be $50-80 for a smaller screen, 17-20 inches, you can go as big as you want.

Dont get a laptop unless you have a pressing need for it, you will get much better features, performance and specs paying the same money for a desktop.

Consider an all in one PC, this combines the monitor and PC together in one unit, makes a nice clean uncluttered desk especially with a wireless keyboard and mouse. My father in law found a good one this year for around $350, he's 70 yrs old and also had qualms about Windows 10 but he adjusted quickly.

Last edited by ellenrr; 08-07-2016 at 08:53 AM..

Old 08-07-2016, 08:51 AM

I agree that it is easy to be sold more machine than one needs - which is why I want to be armed with info before I enter a store--

A friend of mine (my age - but knowing even less than me about computers, and having more $ than sense)
went into Staples and basically said - sell me a computer.
He got something which he didn't know how to use, which had bunches of features that he didn't need.

and even tho Staples provided some sort of plan (i think you pay extra for it) where he could call and ask questions of their tech person - most tech persons are not going to be as basic as he needed.
As far as I know, that computer is still sitting unused - and it cost a bunch.

I am sure staples saw him coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
for someone doing light use, an I5 is a waste of money, especially for someone with an old machine.

As I've said before, it is all too easy to be upsold and/or buy more machine than one needs. And, given today's market, I challenge you to find a desktop AND monitor as cheap as a comparable laptop. Why a new monitor? Show me a 10 year old one that is not a POC.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:15 AM

1,242 posts, read 683,302 times
If your friend really is not using his new computer, maybe he would be willing to sell it to you at a discount. It sounds like you might make better use of the bells and whistles. Plus you could try it out to see if you like it. Just a thought.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:52 AM

2,909 posts, read 1,709,430 times
Most of the "bells and whistles" are what we call "crapware" - limited versions of software designed to entice you to spend more money on full versions, together with a few utilities the manufacturer provides, some useful, most not.

If your friend is good at PCs, (s)he would know how to uninstall the garbage. Having it gone would make for a much better performing machine.

Regarding machine, Staples has this HP Slimline 260-a010 Desktop PC (Intel Pentium Processor, 4GB RAM Memory, 1TB Hard Drive) for $299 in store right now. Not the fastest processor, true, but plenty fast to meet your needs. Same for the rest of the specs.

Old 08-07-2016, 01:44 PM

after having this slow as molasses one for so long, I really would like speed, and willing to pay for it.

Could you suggest what I should look for - for speed?

Ie what numbers on the one that you mentioned should change?

Quote:
Most of the "bells and whistles" are what we call "crapware" - limited versions of software designed to entice you to spend more money on full versions, together with a few utilities the manufacturer provides, some useful, most not.

If your friend is good at PCs, (s)he would know how to uninstall the garbage. Having it gone would make for a much better performing machine.

Regarding machine, Staples has this HP Slimline 260-a010 Desktop PC (Intel Pentium Processor, 4GB RAM Memory, 1TB Hard Drive) for $299 in store right now. Not the fastest processor, true, but plenty fast to meet your needs. Same for the rest of the specs.

Old 08-07-2016, 01:48 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,786,285 times
Quote:
jaypee, do you think someone with a 10 year old machine wants power or expandability? I wonder how many buyers ever add memory, SSD, new HDD, or anything else. I bet you a small percentage (<10% ?). They're not like us!
Until OP posted back today, I've no idea what they want/need ... desktop or laptop. Maybe expandability is not important but serviceability (and upgradeability) can be important.
The point is that you can get same or better performance on a desktop ... no need to steer them to a laptop.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:21 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,786,285 times
Quote:

In my opinion, while this machine might work (albeit, while taking its time) it doesn't represent a good value since adding a monitor will add ~$100. There's an AIO with the same exact specs for $350: HP 22-b016 All-in-One Desktop PC (Intel Pentium Processor, 4GB RAM Memory, 1TB Hard Drive) | StaplesĀ®

I think it's worth spending an extra $20 to get 2x the compute power:
Lenovo ideacentre 300S Desktop - Intel Core i3 - 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive Black ideacentre 300s-08 - 90F10030US - Best Buy

Add a monitor and ellenrr will be good for the next 10 years.

If $300 total is a hard target then I think you should look at refurbs.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:41 PM

28,648 posts, read 40,627,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
In my opinion, while this machine might work (albeit, while taking its time) it doesn't represent a good value since adding a monitor will add ~$100. There's an AIO with the same exact specs for $350: HP 22-b016 All-in-One Desktop PC (Intel Pentium Processor, 4GB RAM Memory, 1TB Hard Drive) | StaplesĀ®

I think it's worth spending an extra $20 to get 2x the compute power:
Lenovo ideacentre 300S Desktop - Intel Core i3 - 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive Black ideacentre 300s-08 - 90F10030US - Best Buy

Add a monitor and ellenrr will be good for the next 10 years.

If $300 total is a hard target then I think you should look at refurbs.
OP has stated she already has a monitor.

That Lenovo at Best Buy looks good. Has the CD and HDMI. Reasonably fast and a decent price - on clearance.

OP, if you don't mind doing some online research use Slickdeals. I am a member and we have found really good deals there.

The latest is a Breville Smart Oven that we paid $215.00 for at Best Buy.

You have to do some searching (there is a search box on the site), but sometimes the deals are amazing - and they will be rated by members so you have an idea if it's a good deal or not.

Edit: Did a quick, sorted search. Stores you may access only. Search

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 08-07-2016 at 03:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or