U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 03:01 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,774,576 times

Advertisements

Glossed over the fact that OP has a newer monitor already .... heck, then this one will be awesome as well, for $350:

Dell Inspiron i3650-3111SLV Desktop (Intel Core i3 Processor, 6GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Windows 10, Silver) | StaplesĀ®
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 03:17 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,144,326 times
yes, I have a 17 in monitor which is only a few years old.

since I am getting a new computer, I do want speed, and no- $300 is not a hard price, it is what someone quoted. I can go higher.

Old 08-07-2016, 03:26 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,600,178 times
In case you missed my added edit in my previous post.

Did a quick, sorted search on Slickdeals. Included only stores you may have access to. Search

Old 08-07-2016, 03:31 PM

thank you, did see it.

I am going to go over all this info with my computer guy.

My thanks to everyone, at least I have some options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
In case you missed my added edit in my previous post.

Did a quick, sorted search on Slickdeals. Included only stores you may have access to. Search

Old 08-07-2016, 07:18 PM

2,863 posts, read 1,410,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
yes, I have a 17 in monitor which is only a few years old.

since I am getting a new computer, I do want speed, and no- $300 is not a hard price, it is what someone quoted. I can go higher.
The least expensive new PC compared to your old XP machine will feel like a Ferrari vs a moped.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:16 AM

1,080 posts, read 829,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
I am totally not computer literate, (69 years old - and altho I know people older than myself who are - I am not) and have no grand-kids to ask for help.

So some questions (and if you need more info, just ask. I may not be supplying enough info.)

1. My present, about to be ex-computer, is a desk-top, dell, XP.
I have been very happy with it and would gladly keep it another 10 years, but as you can imagine-- it is able to do very little these days.

I want another desk-top.
I THINK I have no choice except to get Windows -10, is that right?
I am very fearful of learning something so different from XP.

2. What are the chances if I go into a store and just buy a desk-top which meets my $ requirements - that I will do OK?
Do I really have to do a lot of research?

I have a computer guy who has helped me a lot with this computer,
I have thought about asking him to help me buy a new one- but he charges $40.00/hour, and I'm not even sure what I'd be asking him.

any and all feed-back appreciated.

ellen
avoid dell pc's they suck now!!! i have an xps 8500 and it's the biggest mistake i have ever made buying. oh and there tech support sucks to nothing more than a bunch of desk jockeys reading from a script that don't even listen to you unless you yell and scream and cuss at them to get them to act like they half way care

Old 08-08-2016, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
This might be off-topic, but do you know why your current computer is not performing well? It's possible your computer guy could fix it. Maybe malware is bogging it down and XP just needs to be reloaded. I am typing this on an 8-year-old PC running XP with no problems, and I hope to keep it another 5 years at least. I've replaced the hard drive, the power supply, and the video card, but that's it.
wonders if the OP'S HDD is starting to go and i wonder if there's signs of leaking on the MB

Old 08-08-2016, 12:34 AM

since the OP has a friend that knows about pc's wonders if she has considered building one and having him put it together for her. i just built an AMD 8 core machine for a friend for around 400 bucks with an SSD drive.. and she will get a better warranty on the components vs 90 days- a year

Old 08-08-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused View Post
The least expensive new PC compared to your old XP machine will feel like a Ferrari vs a moped.
lol, I'm sure you're right!

Old 08-08-2016, 09:32 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,600,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ground_pounder View Post
avoid dell pc's they suck now!!! i have an xps 8500 and it's the biggest mistake i have ever made buying. oh and there tech support sucks to nothing more than a bunch of desk jockeys reading from a script that don't even listen to you unless you yell and scream and cuss at them to get them to act like they half way care

I bought a Dell a couple of months ago and it's an amazing laptop. So we disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or