U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 08:21 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,978,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ground_pounder View Post
avoid dell pc's they suck now!!! i have an xps 8500 and it's the biggest mistake i have ever made buying.
Every now and then every company makes a lemon. I have an office full of 50 Dells from 1999(!!!) to 2016 models and they give me ZERO trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 06:13 PM

1,080 posts, read 830,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Every now and then every company makes a lemon. I have an office full of 50 Dells from 1999(!!!) to 2016 models and they give me ZERO trouble.
have you upgraded a dell that's on windows 8 to windows 10. that's if you have a dell running on windows 8 i dunno is what i'm saying. my dell had windows 8 on it and i upgraded to 10 and it's been a nightmare ever sense. why has it been a nightmare because dell didn't write the drivers and firmware to support older machines and they refused to so now every so often i have a scrap project screw dell you could never give me another one!!! and iv'e put linux on it and told MS to screw off

Last edited by ground_pounder; 08-09-2016 at 06:37 PM..

Old 08-09-2016, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I bought a Dell a couple of months ago and it's an amazing laptop. So we disagree.
and i bet yours has windows 10 already installed on it also since it's a couple of months old. mine came with windows 8 and dell didn't write the firmware and the drivers to support windows 10 for there older machines and they refuse to!!! i would never buy another one and mines an XPS there top of the line wich now is nothing more than a scrap project um no thanks. i can't wait to build my second pc so i can blow this thing up

Old 08-09-2016, 08:53 PM

28,648 posts, read 40,627,244 times
Lots of unhappy users out there. Except this one:

Quote:
Wife's XPS 8500 updated just fine. I have seen others complain about the 1703 Wireless card. It doesn't seem to work. Her computer had a Netgear AC6100 USB wireless card so she doesn't have that problem.
From installing Win10 on Dell XPS 8500 - windows 10 - Windows 10

Quite a few posters had no problem upgrading to W10. Most mention making sure they have all the latest drivers before starting the upgrade.

Starts about 1/2 way down the page.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Lots of unhappy users out there. Except this one:

From installing Win10 on Dell XPS 8500 - windows 10 - Windows 10

Quite a few posters had no problem upgrading to W10. Most mention making sure they have all the latest drivers before starting the upgrade.

Starts about 1/2 way down the page.
my pc had all of the latest drivers before in installed 10 but i went bk to 8.1 after realizing what a stable machine i had. how ever i had a shop tell me that dell never did write firmware and drivers for older machines and they refuse to!!! and i have also heard that 10 has a problem of corrupting itself been through that one twice no thanks. i have a friend with a 15 yr old home made pc that runs 10 fine with no problems

Old 08-11-2016, 07:34 AM

14,628 posts, read 18,270,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
I am totally not computer literate, (69 years old - and altho I know people older than myself who are - I am not) and have no grand-kids to ask for help.

So some questions (and if you need more info, just ask. I may not be supplying enough info.)

1. My present, about to be ex-computer, is a desk-top, dell, XP.
I have been very happy with it and would gladly keep it another 10 years, but as you can imagine-- it is able to do very little these days.

I want another desk-top.
I THINK I have no choice except to get Windows -10, is that right?
I am very fearful of learning something so different from XP.

2. What are the chances if I go into a store and just buy a desk-top which meets my $ requirements - that I will do OK?
Do I really have to do a lot of research?

I have a computer guy who has helped me a lot with this computer,
I have thought about asking him to help me buy a new one- but he charges $40.00/hour, and I'm not even sure what I'd be asking him.

any and all feed-back appreciated.

ellen
Take a look at this thread that I started a few days ago (about the same time you started yours). It was in the Retirement Forum (I'm 68 and retired) - but it's in this forum now:

Now Is A Good Time For Seniors To Upgrade Their Computers

I just upgraded my 7 or so year old XP laptop. And bought this Lenovo desktop:

ThinkCentre M800 Tower Desktop | Powerful Enterprise Desktop*| Lenovo US

Base price is now $431 (a few dollars less than I paid for mine). I configured it with an Intel i5 processor - Windows 10 Pro - 2 extra rear USB ports - a parallel port (not too many people need one of those) - 8 gb of memory - an Nvidia video adapter - a 256 gb solid state drive - a DVD drive - wireless and bluetooth - a permanent Microsoft Office Home and Business license (this cost close to $200 - don't know if you want/need it) - and a 3 year on site next business day warranty (that cost something like $79 but was well worth it for me - you can get up to a 5 year warranty). Total cost was $1070 (including free shipping).

Note that you can order these things on the phone from a real live person who will discuss your needs with you and configure the computer any way you want. Which I recommend.

I also got a new 24 inch ThinkVision T2424z monitor - which cost $269. I would make sure your old monitor will work with Windows 10 before you decide to keep it. I would also make sure that the video outputs on any new computer you buy match the inputs on your monitor. For example - my video card only has 2 display port outputs. So you need a display port input on your monitor (or you have to find an adapter).

Since you plan to watch Netflix on your computer - I would pay perhaps a little more attention than normal to your video set-up.

I am *very* happy with the new system. Especially in terms of speed. I didn't have any problems learning Windows 10. The biggest problems I had were finding the right drivers to run my Bluetooth speaker and all the functions on my HP multi-function printer. The Lenovo people helped me with the former - but I managed to do the latter myself. It is also taking me some time to learn all the "bells and whistles" in Microsoft Outlook (I was using Outlook Express before).

In terms of music - well I listen to music too. Don't know if my DVD drive will play CDs (suspect so). The internal speakers in this system are pretty mediocre for music. I use my Bluetooth speaker for that. Do you have external speakers? If so - and they're wired - make sure you configure your system with the correct audio outputs for your speakers.

As an aside - have you ever tried a music service? I use Pandora. It has a "free" flavor. Which comes with ads. For < $60/year (which is a ridiculously small amount of money for older people like us who used to pay maybe $10-15 for a single album) - you can get all the music you want without ads. You set up "stations" from various artists - and - once Pandora gets to learn what you like - it will play music it thinks you'll enjoy. It won't play exact cuts you might want to hear. But - since I've always been more of a "random/shuffle" kind of listener - I like the service (and you can always go to YouTube to play exact cuts). You can take a look here:

Pandora Internet Radio - Listen to Free Music You'll Love

In any event - if you have any questions - just ask and I'll try to answer. Robyn

Old 08-11-2016, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
after having this slow as molasses one for so long, I really would like speed, and willing to pay for it.

Could you suggest what I should look for - for speed?

Ie what numbers on the one that you mentioned should change?
One big factor when it comes to speed is your internet connection. And whether you're working wired or wireless (if you're supposed to get X on a wired connection - you will probably get less on a wireless connection).

Do you know what you're supposed to be getting from your internet service provider? And what you're actually getting? Here's a link for a speed test:

Speed test - how fast is your internet? | DSLReports, ISP Information

The fastest computer in the world isn't going to help you a lot if your internet connection is slow. Robyn

Old 08-11-2016, 09:38 PM

28,648 posts, read 40,627,244 times
^^ A note regarding speed tests - always run them with a cable connected between your PC and the router/modem. You will not get a true reading running a wireless connection.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:19 AM

Quote:
^^ A note regarding speed tests - always run them with a cable connected between your PC and the router/modem. You will not get a true reading running a wireless connection.
Kind of half true. You won't get a true reading of the speed you're getting from your provider. But you will get a pretty good idea of what your computer is getting from your wifi system.

Note that in many/most cases - wifi connections are (much) slower than wired connections. Even with the fanciest equipment. Especially if your wifi device is fairly far away from your router. But - even if a device is close to a router - there is often considerable loss of speed. For example - I have several computers set up in my home office now. One that's wired is getting about 125 mbps down. One that's on wifi is getting about 55 mbps down (even though the router is only about 5 feet away).

I strongly suggest using wired connections - especially if you're running graphics/video intensive apps. Even if it requires some retrofitting in terms of wiring. We did that a couple of years ago. Ours was a fairly complicated project (we ran our internet signal through our old unused cat 5 telephone wiring - and turned old phone jacks into ethernet jacks). We had to hire a professional to do it. But there may be easier solutions for some people. Robyn

Old 08-13-2016, 10:23 AM

2,533 posts, read 6,519,722 times
Default close to same boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
This might be off-topic, but do you know why your current computer is not performing well? It's possible your computer guy could fix it. Maybe malware is bogging it down and XP just needs to be reloaded. I am typing this on an 8-year-old PC running XP with no problems, and I hope to keep it another 5 years at least. I've replaced the hard drive, the power supply, and the video card, but that's it.
I still have and use my original XP and had to go to Win 7 which serves me fine.
The reason for change about 3 years ago was it no longer had software needed for certain customers.
Now,my Express Scripts for meds is saying the same thing for after 12/2016.I now have Doctor which when wanting to pay bill says I have to have Win 8 and up!!
I have a reserve on Win 10 and am a complete nerd on computers but have all bills,doctors ect on line,hardly use mail.
My problem is I am happy where I am with dial up,$119 per year,do not need fancy stuff.
I will have to get someone to install Win !0,Win 10 and 7 are like my Dish Net,only use a couple of items.
I started with Me and changed to XP was transparent,Win 7 not xo.
One question is how long do I have before I have to upgrade to Win 10??
I am retired senior,83.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or